Sick and alone

RBM
Posted
Posted

This could be of interest to new comers whom are unattached and plan living here alone.

I maintain excellent health at 68, regular gym goer, play tennis an heaps of exercise with dog, never get sick......until last night.

Of course had to be when the SO was away in Cebu an I alone. Very serious case of diarrhea vomiting and serious stomach pains....3am.Trying to make the CR when unable walk plus nobody around ended up a horror night extreme. Now it's 11am an much better.

Just throwing this up as should be a consideration in moving here, a more serious issue does not bare thinking about. I would doubt a fone would help with hospitals outside major cities, even there would be wary.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

robert k
Posted
Posted

When you are alone and eating, take small bites. Nobody there to perform the Heimlich maneuver.

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, robert k said:

When you are alone and eating, take small bites. Nobody there to perform the Heimlich maneuver.

You are very correct, Robert, to suggest eat small bites!

You can do Heimlich to yourself if someone shows you how. Not comfortable or fun, but if it's life or death, I'll give it a try... It might be good for RBM and others here to consider some first aid training?

L and I have been watching some movies lately. Several times in these movies, someone is "supposedly" doing CPR. We want to laugh at the portrayals, but it's a bit scary what they show - we are afraid someone might see such a movie then experience a situation where it is necessary and bugger it all up.

L is a Red Cross coordinator in her school with frequent training and I have been trained also. It is another thing that can mean life or death. Of course, you cannot do CPR on yourself, but having another around who can could make a difference?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love it 1

robert k
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

You are very correct, Robert, to suggest eat small bites!

You can do Heimlich to yourself if someone shows you how. Not comfortable or fun, but if it's life or death, I'll give it a try... It might be good for RBM and others here to consider some first aid training?

L and I have been watching some movies lately. Several times in these movies, someone is "supposedly" doing CPR. We want to laugh at the portrayals, but it's a bit scary what they show - we are afraid someone might see such a movie then experience a situation where it is necessary and bugger it all up.

L is a Red Cross coordinator in her school with frequent training and I have been trained also. It is another thing that can mean life or death. Of course, you cannot do CPR on yourself, but having another around who can could make a difference?

True, you can do Heimlich on a chair back or other useful object, you can break a rib doing that too, but like you say, needs must when the devil drives. It may not work doing it on a plastic chair though.

• Like 2

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Glad you are feeling a little better, It’s never nice  when you are alone and are sick even worst when it’s the middle of the night too.

• Like 3

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, RBM said:

This could be of interest to new comers whom are unattached and plan living here alone.

I maintain excellent health at 68, regular gym goer, play tennis an heaps of exercise with dog, never get sick......until last night.

Of course had to be when the SO was away in Cebu an I alone. Very serious case of diarrhea vomiting and serious stomach pains....3am.Trying to make the CR when unable walk plus nobody around ended up a horror night extreme. Now it's 11am an much better.

Just throwing this up as should be a consideration in moving here, a more serious issue does not bare thinking about. I would doubt a fone would help with hospitals outside major cities, even there would be wary.

If that isn't a case of food poisoning, my name isn't Arizona Kid. I've had it 3 times in my life. Even eggs need to be cooked well done. 24 hours of hell. I'll send you the bill for the diagnosis. :laugh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, robert k said:

Impossible to take small bites when eating Shakeys pizza. Might be a good way to check out tho if it happens.:wink: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, Arizona Kid said:

If that isn't a case of food poisoning, my name isn't Arizona Kid. I've had it 3 times in my life. Even eggs need to be cooked well done. 24 hours of hell. I'll send you the bill for the diagnosis. :laugh:

I bet your name isn't Arizona Kid! :smile:

• Haha 4