Posted
1 hour ago, Arizona Kid said:

How much?:smile:

Not enough! :smile:

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Perhaps take it one step further and, if you get a helper, pay a little to have them trained by Red Cross as First Responder and make sure they have a driver's license or at least means to get transportation if necessary?

Tom do you think we have not done that, Granny and Eggs comes to mind :wink:

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

Tom do you think we have not done that, Granny and Eggs comes to mind :wink:

Well, that's good! My suggestion was for RBM as he was concerned since he was home alone. We will take our own advice and do the same.

Re-reading my comment, I can see I did not state that thought correctly - sorry.:sad:

Edited by Tommy T.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Re-reading my comment, I can see I did not state that thought correctly - sorry.:sad:

:whatever: Tom there are times when it is a Good Idea not to keep adding your somewhat superfluous and   unnecessary  Comments to every Post you read It can Rattle people, we are in control of our lives :wink: my post said enough for most :smile:

Edited by Jack Peterson
  • I'm Confused 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

Glad you feel better now for sure what you experienced must have been frightening.

We all know Philippines lacks effective EMS services and dependable medical emergency care. It’s a risk all Expats live or die with. 

Edited by Old55
  • Like 4

RBM
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Old55 said:

Glad you feel better now for sure what you experienced must have been frightening.

We all know Philippines lacks effective EMS services and dependable medical emergency care. It’s a risk all Expats live or die with. 

Correct,  plus one of the points I was trying to emphasize was it should be a consideration to guys in their senior years moving here, living alone. As bad as mild food poisoning is it's nothing compared to a stroke or heart attack, this most probably would be fatal for those alone. 

Never heard of medical warning devices here although perhaps in Manila available, still by the time serves plough  through traffic probably to late.

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, GeoffH said:

But honestly, first aid isn’t going to help if it’s a serious problem and that’s something I think we have to consider when living here.

How so very true Geoff Forward think is the way to go, Should my wife not be here if anything happens, Our helper and our Daughter have a list  of what to do and Phone numbers to ring I can be in Hospital in a short while if the Plan is Followed But.................:huh: I truly envisage a mishap on that occasion:sad: Negative thinking on my  part:whatever:  What more can I say, I Tried to get it right as I am sure most of us will

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, GeoffH said:

And I’ve bought a decent BP tester and a Kardia single channel ECG Bluetooth device and I keep low dose aspirin here and SWMBO knows what it’s for and where it is.  We’re going to see about some first aid training as well.

But honestly, first aid isn’t going to help if it’s a serious problem and that’s something I think we have to consider when living here.

First off, I am pleased that RBM seems to have recovered fully. Nothing scarier than to be sick alone - it's happened to me a few times...

That's a great start, Geoff. You are well on your way to taking care of yourself if/when professional help is not readily available. I hope you don't have returns of your issues. There are actually a lot of things you can do to prepare yourself for medical situations...

I will just add that, for a long time when sailing, my ex and I had nobody to rely on but ourselves. That taught us a lot and I try to carry that forward to the Philippines. When 2,000 miles away from the nearest land, you don't call 911... So we trained up on everything except actual medic training, but came very close to that. We carried a comprehensive medical kit including medication for infections of all kinds, all sorts of bandages, serious pain killers, everything but a defib kit - since the "home" versions weren't available yet. I was lucky to find doctors willing to prescribe virtually any medication I requested. I also bought several medical books and guides and set about trying to educate myself. We learned self-sufficiency and that is what I am trying to encourage here. For us, it was our only choice to try to be safe.

I assume there are few enlightened doctors here who will prescribe medications when you are not ill, but maybe it is worth a try to see if you can? Especially for anything related to your heart?

Take care to all of us...

Edited by Tommy T.
Add more comment.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1