Driving on a Foreign License! (Read 2nd Part of the Story)

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Written by someone I know on another Group:

******Hi Expats,

Got caught at a checkpoint with no helmet. (Yes, I know it is foolish not to wear a helmet.) They are starting to give tickets for no helmet in Dumaguete City. The fine is 1,500 1st offence. 3,000 2nd. 5,000 third. They take your drivers license. You have to go to the main LTO office and it takes about 3+ hours to pay the fine and get your license back. The office opens at 8 and there is a line of about 30 people at 7:30 am.

**An Australian guy was given a fine 0f 5,000 because he was driving on his Australian drivers license and had been in the country for more than 3 months. So they gave him 3,000 for driving unlicensed, 1,500 no helmet and 460 I think for impound fee even though his bike had not been impounded. He was arguing but there is no sense getting angry. The law is the law and the LTO guy is just doing his job.**

Moral of the story: Wear your helmet and keep your papers in order or take a tricycle. If you have been in the country less than three months, have a copy of your passport stamp. If you have been here longer than 3 months, go to the main LTO office and get your Philippine drivers license. It cost me about 850. Your foreign license should a have motorcycle permission. The default is just car permission. If you convert your existing license, make sure your Philippine license has a 1,2 under Restrictions in the bottom left corner. 1 is for motorcycle, and 2 is for car.***************

Think on G & G's you know it makes sense 1.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

virginprune
Posted
Posted

I always wear a helmet but madam once preferred not to. Got a tug from LTO, P1500 plus 3 hours+ to pay and collect license....thankfully all paperwork in order, carry vehicle registration and license with you at all times. Lesson learned, I will not allow her on bike now without helmet.

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, virginprune said:

I always wear a helmet but madam once preferred not to. Got a tug from LTO, P1500 plus 3 hours+ to pay and collect license.

I was in that situation once.  My gf on the back played sick and I picked up on it and told the officer she was not feeling well and I was taking her to see a doctor.  It worked.  Not sure if that old dodge will work every time though.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

So Dave - Jack.... writing “License” on a one thousand Peso bill isn’t going to fly now?

Asking for a friend 🤔

• Haha 3

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Old55 said:

So Dave - Jack.... writing “License” on a one thousand Peso bill isn’t going to fly now?

Asking for a friend 🤔

Deleted comment.  This forum does not condone illegal corruption and never has.  And we sure as heck are not going to allow a discussion of how you think it should be done.

Of course there is a grey area.  If you want to drop subtle hints about corruption at work in the Philippines then join the crowd.  The deleted post was a primer on how to do it.  That discussion is best held in private.

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
Promoting corruption