Home Medical Care and Equipment

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, nor cal mike said:

Pulse Oximetry

My father was an electrical engineer at Tektronix in Beaverton, Oregon.  When I was in my middle teens, he would occasionally take me to work on the weekends.  He was the lead engineer on the team that built the original prototype of a similar device in about 1966 that measured just the pulse rate.  I remember is vividly because he showed my fibre optic cable, they called it "light pipe", and how you could shine light down one end and have it come out the other, no matter how many bends were in the coil.  He then explained how they would measure the variation in light intensity as it struck the skin to determine the pulse rate.  Any time I have one of these clipped to my finger I have a flashback to that memory.

Off topic I know, and my apologies to Tom, but who doesn't want to take the opportunity to brag about their dad. :thumbsup:

• Love it 5

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Mike J said:

Off topic I know, and my apologies to Tom, but who doesn't want to take the opportunity to brag about their dad. :thumbsup:

No problem and no apology required, Mike. I think that's what this thread and forum are all about - sharing knowledge? I don't think that's off topic and I also don't own it - just started it and we will all see where it goes.:smile:

And sharing that history is very interesting, especially with your personal connection and looking at that timeline. I believe Tektronix is still around today? If so (or even if not) there will be more cool gadgets that may help us old codgers improve our lives. Thanks for sharing that! I can easily see why you are so, rightfully,  proud of your Dad!

Edited by Tommy T.
Additional comment
  • Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)

Bites and Stings - Animals

Well, there are animal bites and then there are insect "bites" and stings.

Animals here that I am aware of are dogs, cats and rats. What else is out there? I am ignorant about anything else except snakes. L tells me about snakes that kill small animals and may attack humans. What do you watch out for? Are they biters? Poisonous? What about pythons?

Any animal that can bite you can be a threat to your health - especially as you age because all your natural defense systems tend to weaken with age. How many cautions do you see everywhere about effects from infections, illness are most dangerous to infants, individuals who are already ill and finally, the elderly - typically identified as those of us over about 65 as a general class.

Domestic pets are - hopefully - all treated with anti-rabies and anti- lots of things that they can contract but not always.

However, I see lots of strays wandering around - especially at locations where people carelessly and foolishly dump their garbage...sometimes in their own front or back yards or their neighbours, or just "over the fence" onto the street! It is common knowledge that rabies exists here. So first advice is that, if you are bitten by any dog you are not positive is a pet, then you should consider getting rabies treatment. Either that, or you bring in the animal (not suggested if it already bit you) but I don't even know where or if that is even done here?

Also, even domestic dogs and cats harbour nasty bacteria in their bites that can easily get infected or introduce deadly illness. I recently read about a guy who developed a flesh eating infection that resulted in amputation of both legs and arms, I think? It's been a few weeks since I read that. So the lesson is to immediately wash any bites thoroughly, apply anti-biotics - like the betadine and tri-biotic ointment. Then keep a sharp eye on it for swelling, redness, feeling hot or that red streak mentioned before. If you have any doubts or concerns - go see a doctor or at least a nurse. Some of these bacteria can kill a person in just a few days if sepsis develops or the infection gets out of control. There are antibiotic resistant strains of many bacteria now so just be careful!

Animals can carry parasitic worms, tics or other bad things on or in their bodies. You should wash your hands very thoroughly after handling or playing with them using anti-biotic soap or rinse with alcohol sanitizer at the least.

This may be an unpopular comment or considered cruel by some of you, but there is basis for it. L used to feed some stray cats with leftover people food. On at least two occasions one or more entered her home when her door was opened - they were looking for food. Soon after, one of them bit her in the foot so she went for the rabies treatment to be sure. Others around her were also feeding the strays, including some dogs. Then they complained because of the smell and messes from poos and pees...duh... So my comment here is that I suggest you do not feed stray animals or you risk getting bit. I see the strays out there and frequently there will be another pregnant female - wonderful, more stray dogs or cats with no homes, no vet care and some of them half feral over time. I don't think that is fair to people or to the animals.

Of course, for each of us/you who are controlling your garbage and not feeding strays, I know there will be hundreds of others who will just carry on as usual. Well, all I can say is that, after L and her neighbours stopped feeding stray animals and controlled their garbage, there are no more strays in the housing compound, no more poos, pees, howling cats, barking dogs... They frequent others now.

A last word about animals... Reading news online suggests that some diseases are spread through exposure to birds - specifically chickens, ducks, geese - especially those that live on small farms or just in the backyards of people. It is suggested in these articles that people avoid handling birds. If they do handle them, then they should thoroughly wash after handling. I see guys carrying around their "fighting cocks" (no comment), and think about that advice...

Edited by Tommy T.
alter content
  • Thanks 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)

Bites and Stings - Insects

I am aware of these biting insects here:

Mosquitoes
Sugar Ants
Bees (I was bit by some sort of stinging bee while on Samal Island only one time)

There must be more around here? Please help us out, members? Perhaps Jack or some others who have been here a long time can tell us about others to watch out for and any local treatments you have found?

I found the sugar ant bites to be the most annoying so far. By trial and error, I found that using an "extractor" like what is used sometimes for poisonous snake bite venom works very well if used soon after the bite. It seems to suck out some of whatever is in that bite and they don't itch or hurt as much.

I also used to use a product called "After Bite" that was a stick sort of thing that reeked of ammonia which was all it really was. It long ago went dry and I have not seen them since. I bought both of those products at REI many years ago.

After I got bit by an ant several months ago, I used the extractor, then looked around for ammonia. I noticed I had some window cleaner that had ammonia so reckoned....why not? After extractor, I applied some of the window cleaner to the bites and they settled down almost immediately. Instead of itching/hurting for three days or more, the redness reduced and then stopped bothering me.

If you get bitten, you can also try using a mild antihistamine like Verlix or Claritin or, if near bedtime, you can use Benadryl. Either should lessen the severity of itch and pain somewhat. I have read about applying ice and that sometimes helps, but only so long as the ice is there...after, I found symptoms return.

The main thing I learned (this in New Zealand where they have the nastiest biting gnat-like bugs called midges or sandflies) was, once bitten, DO NOT SCRATCH and even do not touch the bitten area from any insect. It only worsens the pain and itch (even though it feels good for a moment when you scratch) and can lead to nasty infection. If you must, you can gently tap around the bite with your hand and that can satisfy the urge to scratch a little.

Venom Extractor.jpg

Edited by Tommy T.
Fix spelling

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

I just found this on MSNBC regarding how to deal with motorcycle crash victims - usually drivers. But it applies to any accident scene. It makes some comments that are very clear and easy to follow. Some of this repeats what we have already seen here in this thread, but it does not hurt (pun intended) to see it again and really learn and remember.

I have a kit that is almost exactly what they describe here but it is buried away (since I now live on land). You can buy these at American camping and outdoor supply outfits such as REI or others... Be safe!

Now check their ABCs—airway, breathing, and circulation. First make sure their airway is clear. If they’re not breathing just clearing the airway might get them started again. Then look at their chest to see if it’s moving, or put your hand or cheek near their mouth to see if you can feel their breath. If they’re breathing they have circulation, but check it anyway by feeling for a pulse in the carotid artery. Keep them still and calm until the EMTs can take over.

There are first-aid kits small enough to fit in a saddlebag, tank bag, or backpack that are sufficient to treat minor cuts and scrapes, and bandage small bleeding wounds. You can find them at many camping supply stores or order them through some motorcycle accessory companies. Look for one that has at least the following items: four-by-four-inch gauze bandages; a CPR mask; latex gloves (or better yet non-latex to prevent an allergic reaction); alcohol wipes for sterilizing a dirty wound; and adhesive tape. Then add the following: a space blanket for shock victims; some Band-Aid-type adhesive bandages in several shapes and sizes; gauze pads larger than the four-by-fours; scissors in case you have to cut away clothing; and a pain reliever like ibuprofen or acetaminophen. Also carry a small flashlight to check for airway obstructions.

That should be enough to deal with all but the most serious crash injuries. Remember, the goal of first aid isn’t to heal or cure an injury, it’s to stabilize the victim until trained professionals arrive. Short of becoming one of those professionals yourself, you can take low-cost Red Cross CPR and emergency first-aid courses. If at least one rider in your group has basic first-aid skills, it increases the chance of all of you making it home to ride another day. Of course if that one rider is the one who crashes, then you’d better have two graduates in your group. Better yet, get together with all the people you ride with often and take a course together.

• Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)

Bones - Broken or Sprained

A simple fracture is when a bone is broken inside somewhere but there is no break in the skin.

A compound fracture is when a bone is broken and poking through the skin - yuck.

Emergency treatment is to first stop or staunch any bleeding with light pressure on any open wound. Next is to try to stabilize the affected area with pillows, cushions, soft clothing, etc. and wrap it gently with something to act like a splint. That could be a piece of wood, an umbrella, magazine(s), etc.. Use the cravats or soft cloths to wrap this all together as tightly as possible while trying to cause the least pain - not always easy. The point is to immobilize any broken or sprained joints or bones to prevent or reduce the chance of further damage. Do not try to set a bone yourself or move it - leave it the way it is and then let the doctor and/or nurse(s) examine and deal with it.

You can - and should - apply cold, in the form of ice in a plastic bag wrapped with a T-shirt or thin towel (this to prevent direct contact with the ice and skin). Apply the ice for 15-20 minutes, then remove it for the same time. And repeat and repeat. This will slow blood flow if a wound, and will reduce swelling and bruising. Also, recline and raise the affected part above your heart - this will reduce blood flow and pain to that part. Consider taking some paracetamol - but one or two may not be strong enough. I suggest to avoid ibuprofen until you learn if there will be a surgery or if you are bleeding already from an open wound. Ask you doctor what medicine to take.

If you have injured a foot and are not sure of what's going on - break, sprain? - don't be macho and try walking on it until you get it checked. I know of guys who thought it was just a bruise or bump and limped around on a foot with broken bone. This can cause more damage and slow the healing process.

If you do like I have done several times and crack a rib, all you can really do is wrap your chest and don't move around too much, try not to laugh and breathe shallowly... It will hurt for many weeks. You really should have a doctor take a peak and probably X-rays...

Oh... almost forgot... It is possible to go into shock from any body trauma. Shock can be life-threatening and should be treated or try to prevent it. From the Mayo Clinic website online:

Shock is a critical condition brought on by the sudden drop in blood flow through the body. Shock may result from trauma, heatstroke, blood loss, an allergic reaction, severe infection, poisoning, severe burns or other causes. When a person is in shock, his or her organs aren't getting enough blood or oxygen. If untreated, this can lead to permanent organ damage or even death.

Signs and symptoms of shock vary depending on circumstances and may include:

• Cool, clammy skin
  • Pale or ashen skin
  • Bluish tinge to lips or fingernails (or gray in the case of dark complexions)
  • Rapid pulse
  • Rapid breathing
  • Nausea or vomiting
  • Enlarged pupils
  • Weakness or fatigue
  • Dizziness or fainting
  • Changes in mental status or behavior, such as anxiousness or agitation

Seek emergency medical care

If you suspect a person is in shock, call 911 or your local emergency number. Then immediately take the following steps:

• Lay the person down and elevate the legs and feet slightly, unless you think this may cause pain or further injury.
  • Keep the person still and don't move him or her unless necessary.
  • Begin CPR if the person shows no signs of life, such as not breathing, coughing or moving.
  • Loosen tight clothing and, if needed, cover the person with a blanket to prevent chilling.
  • Don't let the person eat or drink anything.
  • If the person vomits or begins bleeding from the mouth, and no spinal injury is suspected, turn him or her onto a side to prevent choking.

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)

Burns & Scalds

Depending on the source, there are a few ways to handle burns.

The most common advice is to hold the affected area under cool water until the pain eases - depending on the degree and area of the burn (and location), this could take 5 - 15 minutes. Personally, I do what medical professionals DO NOT suggest, which is hold something very cold - ice, cold beverage can, anything very cold - against the burn. From some of my reading, once a burn occurs, the skin is still hot and damage continues after the source is removed. The extreme chilling stops this in its tracks.  It kills the pain quickly and the area seems to heal quicker than just using cool water. This works well for me, but you should not rely on this experience.

Then there are various burn ointments and creams that can be applied over the wound. They carry topical pain relievers and sometimes antibiotics. Professional advice says to not cover minor burns unless irritated by clothing or other contact and to not use cream or ointment. I frequently apply aloe vera juice straight from the plant and have great results... Again, check with your doc or nurse.

All professionals say to not disturb blisters. Personally, if a blister gets fairly big after a while and looks like it may burst, I will poke it with a needle. Not recommended, but works for me. I sterilize the blister and needle with rubbing alcohol, then poke the blister from an edge. The liquid oozes out and the blister collapses - but the skin remains intact. Maybe I am wrong about this, but I know my body well (lived in it for 60++ years). After the blister collapses, the skin still covers the healing and very tender new skin underneath - sort of like a bandaid. Eventually the new skin toughens up and the damaged, blistered skin dries up and falls away. So just sharing my experience again...

A tip I learned a long time ago regarding sunburn... I tend to be sensitive to fever conditions and get very lethargic and have whacky dreams or even something akin to hallucinations with a moderate to high fever - been like this my entire life.

I also used to lie out in the sun to tan a bit rather than have the Canadian white pallor. Silly me! Of course, I burned first then sometimes tanned. Whenever I got a fairly strong burn, I would get the same reaction as with fever. Somebody suggested aspirin to reduce that - and it worked brilliantly. Aspirin is a well-known fever reducer.

I have no scientific proof of this, but when I got a sunburn and took aspirin within a few hours - or less - of exposure, the burn did not seem to be as severe and I never had the hallucinations or nightmares. If this works for aspirin, I would imagine it might work for paracetamol or ibuprofen. You guys, by now, know my next comment well - ask a professional! Or, look online for more information.

Shock can also develop from burns, scalds or sunburn, so watch for it.

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Shock can also develop from burns, scalds or sunburn, so watch for it.

It can also come from watching yourself pee blood. :shock_40_anim_gif:  Turned out to be a very large kidney stone.

• Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Mike J said:

It can also come from watching yourself pee blood. :shock_40_anim_gif:  Turned out to be a very large kidney stone.

Just reading that almost puts me into shock, Mike! Yow!!! Scary, to be sure, possibly life threatening and it must have been painful as all hell! Another medical experience from you....

You brought up the subject so I will add something, if okay with you?

It is my understanding from reading (and also from third party information from a friend and an acquaintance and their doctors) that adding citrus - such as lemon or lime - to the water you drink assists in breaking down or at least limiting or even preventing kidney stones. I was also told that dehydration was also an issue - especially with old farts like us living in the tropics - home of the dehydration blues?

Edited by Tommy T.

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
Just now, Tommy T. said:

Just reading that almost puts me into shock, Mike! Yow!!! Scary, to be sure, possibly life threatening and it must have been painful as all hell! Another medical experience from you....

History of kidney stones.  Lithotripsy on five occasions, passed them on my own several other times.   Only once since moving here six years ago.  That occured after becoming badly dehydrated because of amoebic dysentery.

• Thanks 1