Tommy T.

Home Medical Care and Equipment

9 minutes ago, Mike J said:

That occured after becoming badly dehydrated because of amoebic dysentery.

Geez, Mike!!! Take care of yourself! I also added some content to my last post since I first submitted it, in case you have not yet seen it?

Can you share what the treatment was for the dysentery? I believe it should be Flagyl, known as metronidazole? And, if you take that, DO NOT drink alcohol because it causes side effects similar to antabuse. It will make you extremely sick...

That's one of the antibiotics I carried aboard the yacht. I actually took it on one occasion when I had the running s***s after eating at a restaurant in Fiji. So did my ex and a few other people...

Edited by Tommy T.

10 minutes ago, Mike J said:

That occured after becoming badly dehydrated because of amoebic dysentery.

Okay... I have to ask... How did you contract Amoebic Dysentery? Or do you know?

I don't mean to pry into your medical history, but I think you are providing some valuable information to be shared to the members. I am learning a lot from you guys who have been here a lot longer than me and I really appreciate it.

Edited by Tommy T.
Fix spelling and additional comment

4 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Okay... I have to ask... How did your contract Amoebic Dysentery? Or do you know?

I don't mean to pry into your medical history, but I think you are providing some valuable information to be shared to the members. I am learning a lot from you guys who have been here a lot longer than me and I really appreciate it.

Not a problem.

I have gotten amoebic dysentery twice since moving here.  Source both times was unknown as we buy our drinking water.  Could have been street food, contaminated fruit/vegetables, or maybe some bad ice. The first time I just assumed it was your ordinary diarrhea that would respond to imodium.   After three days of being stubborn, I started to feel weak..  That is when the wife insisted I go to the doctor.  The doctor gave me an IV to get rehydrated and medicine to kill the amoeba. 

It was a week or so later that the kidney pain started.  Having a history, I knew what was happening and went to the hospital in Cebu City.  The treatment was virtually identical to what you would receive in a USA emergency room visit.  They found four small stones, two on each side, via CT scan.  Treatment was pain meds, and muscle relaxers to prevent spasm, and IV to try and flush the little buggers out.  The only problem was that I was exposed to the flu while in the ER and got sick two days later.  I now take sambong, and drink LOTS of water, if I start to feel anything strange in the kidney area.

Another thing to watch out for.  Had a pain in my left hand near the thumb.  Over a period of several days the hand swelled to almost the size of a boxing glove.   The doctor I saw in Cebu City said it was cellulitis, and left unchecked was very dangerous.  As in possibly lose the hand dangerous if spread to tendon or bone.:sad:  She said it may have started with an insect bite?   Took four weeks of antibiotics to treat and an additional four weeks for the swelling to completely subside.  This was about 3 or 4 years ago.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Mike J said:

Not a problem.

I have gotten amoebic dysentery twice since moving here.  Source both times was unknown as we buy our drinking water.  Could have been street food, contaminated fruit/vegetables, or maybe some bad ice. The first time I just assumed it was your ordinary diarrhea that would respond to imodium.   After three days of being stubborn, I started to feel weak..  That is when the wife insisted I go to the doctor.  The doctor gave me an IV to get rehydrated and medicine to kill the amoeba. 

It was a week or so later that the kidney pain started.  Having a history, I knew what was happening and went to the hospital in Cebu City.  The treatment was virtually identical to what you would receive in a USA emergency room visit.  They found four small stones, two on each side, via CT scan.  Treatment was pain meds, and muscle relaxers to prevent spasm, and IV to try and flush the little buggers out.  The only problem was that I was exposed to the flu while in the ER and got sick two days later.  I now take sambong, and drink LOTS of water, if I start to feel anything strange in the kidney area.

Another thing to watch out for.  Had a pain in my left hand near the thumb.  Over a period of several days the hand swelled to almost the size of a boxing glove.   The doctor I saw in Cebu City said it was cellulitis, and left unchecked was very dangerous.  As in possibly lose the hand dangerous if spread to tendon or bone.:sad:  She said it may have started with an insect bite?   Took four weeks of antibiotics to treat and an additional four weeks for the swelling to completely subside.  This was about 3 or 4 years ago.

Thanks you so much for sharing your experience, Mike! You might just save the life or well-being of another ex-pat here - kudos to you!!!:tiphat:

What is  sambong?

And you better definitely keep your wife!!! She sounds like a very bright lady!

I am glad you have healed up from these illnesses. Not being an expert, I cannot really say, but your symptoms sound a lot like food infections to me... 

It also sounds like you have been receiving excellent medical treatment there - that's great to hear!!!

Please keep us up to date - if you wish - regarding your health. It sounds like you are on the mend or at least temporally "cured" from your latest ailments...

Edited by Tommy T.
Fix spelling