Why did you decide to retire in the Philippines?

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Gary D said:

We're retiring to the Philippines, yes dear.

The one who must be obeyed. :wink:

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, OzeMike said:

I retired here because of finding a wonderful future wife,  cheap cost of living, nice warm weather, many expat friends and the friendly happy Filipinos in this colourful country which I love. 

Well stated.  I could say the same, but things change and I have not yet had your learning experiences of packing off a couple of wives to my home country.  I should expect a similar result, and yet some people have reported success from doing that.  So I can only surmise it is another case of Your mileage may vary.  As such, there is a very good chance that I shall follow in your footstep, a few years behind you.  Time will tell.

• Like 3
  • Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, jimeve said:

I think it's called the Bohol sea, There's a fish sanctuary where I snorkel a place called Dauin on Negros Oriental. For me it's a great location It's possible to be in Cebu in 1 hour. Love it.

So we here in Moaboal are almost neighbors, except for the 80 km swim. :hystery:

• Haha 1
  • I'm Confused 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, jimeve said:

It's possible to be in Cebu in 1 hour.

I am trying to think how you would do that.  Hmmmm,  half hour to the airport, an hour until flight leaves, 40 minute flight, an hour waiting for a cab, hopefully only a half hour drive to the city.  I can see how it is possible to be in Cebu in 4 hours but an hour?  Are you hiding your own private helicopter out there?  With a helipad in the city?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • I'm Confused 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I am trying to think how you would do that.  Hmmmm,  half hour to the airport, an hour until flight leaves, 40 minute flight, an hour waiting for a cab, hopefully only a half hour drive to the city.  I can see how it is possible to be in Cebu in 4 hours but an hour?  Are you hiding your own private helicopter out there?  With a helipad in the city?

Sibulan to santander. half hour. :tiphat:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OzeMike
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Well stated.  I could say the same, but things change and I have not yet had your learning experiences of packing off a couple of wives to my home country.  I should expect a similar result, and yet some people have reported success from doing that.  So I can only surmise it is another case of Your mileage may vary.  As such, there is a very good chance that I shall follow in your footstep, a few years behind you.  Time will tell.

The problem was Dave I'd sold my house when I retired to the Philippines (the first time) and the house or apartment rentals in the Australian cities are really expensive.... so this created a financial pressure from the get-go. Add to that my last girl I took there sent home to her family nearly all her salary as a care giver unlike a western lady who would have put it into the family finances.... 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2