Why did you decide to retire in the Philippines?

"P2"
Posted
Posted
On 9/15/2019 at 5:13 AM, Arizona Kid said:

If you don't mind saying. What sea did you build your house near? I've been driving around in the Cavite area and have yet to witness any seaside homes built near any beach that is not polluted with plastic and other crap including dead pigs and dogs washed up on the shore by the wave action. This might sound like I don't like it here. But I do love living here.:whatever:

This has me concerned, especially the animal part. Is this a big problem around the Philippines?

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, "P2" said:

This has me concerned, especially the animal part. Is this a big problem around the Philippines?

I'd imagine it varies from area to area, but where I am in Iloilo in Western Visayas I haven't seen such things on the beaches but I have seen plenty of other debris.  It's one of the negative things here, the lack of respect for the environment.  

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, hk blues said:

I'd imagine it varies from area to area, but where I am in Iloilo in Western Visayas I haven't seen such things on the beaches but I have seen plenty of other debris.  It's one of the negative things here, the lack of respect for the environment.  

But then again debri, trash and all sorts of stuff wash up all over the world. What about those international cruise ships dumping waste and who knows where it will drift. And also I think almost anywhere trash will wash through the drains and find its way out to sea so I dont think its only a Philippines problem but also see your point. 

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, "P2" said:

It depends where you live, in the Philippines.  The culture here sees a dog as just another animal.  Filipinos seem to like dogs, and they are annoyed if a foreigner kicks a stray, but they seem them in a practical light.  If they live in very rural areas and they are poor people then they see dogs as emercency food rations.  If they live on the seafront and have unwanted, sick, or stray dogs that need to be done away with then they put a rope around its neck with a stone on the other end and dump it in the ocean.

Until recently I used to walk up and down a 4 mile long stretch of beach every day from 4 to 6 PM.  There was an average of one dog a month that washed up on the beach with a rope around its neck.  The tide is a strong trash mover for a self cleaning ocean.

• Sad 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

And I saw people wading out in the ocean at high tide who just pushed whatever had washed ashore on "their" beach and shoved it back farther into the water to wash up on the next beach... Many times I witnessed this...

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
On 9/15/2019 at 5:43 PM, DavidK said:

Because my wife told me we were, because she was from Cebu and because she'd already bought a condo unit (without telling me).

Works for me haha.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

But then again debri, trash and all sorts of stuff wash up all over the world. What about those international cruise ships dumping waste and who knows where it will drift. And also I think almost anywhere trash will wash through the drains and find its way out to sea so I dont think its only a Philippines problem but also see your point. 

Yes, agreed the exact same problem must exist elsewhere, I've just not visited those other places to witness it.

Related - nearby one of the shopping malls in my place there are some rice fields - you would be forgiven for thinking they were growing trash rather than rice! The mentality of people who think it's ok to dump trash bags in open fields is questionable.

• Like 2

Guest chasepo
Posted
Posted

Too many domestic terrorist in the US and the fact that my ex-wife is not here.:6: