Best Way To Get Some NZ Dollars

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

This may not be a question for Kiwis as they probably already have NZ dollars.  Have any of you visited New Zealand and had to exchange money?

I will need to get some NZ dollars for our trip to New Zealand.  I probably don't need a lot as I will use my credit card for all things possible.

Should I take pesos with me to exchange, or USD?  I have both options.

Where should I exchange to get the best rates?  At the airport or are there easy to find places outside the airport?

Thanks!

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

It will be cheaper to exchange US dollars at one of the money changers along Queen Street in Auckland’s CBD than at the airport (although you can exchange at the airport).  This assumes you’re flying into Auckland Airport.

I’ve no idea about exchanging when flying into Christchurch though.

• Like 4

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, GeoffH said:

It will be cheaper to exchange US dollars at one of the money changers along Queen Street in Auckland’s CBD than at the airport (although you can exchange at the airport).  This assumes you’re flying into Auckland Airport.

I’ve no idea about exchanging when flying into Christchurch though.

Another option would be to withdraw NZ dollars from an ATM, using my BPI peso ATM card.  I'm guessing that would be expensive.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Another option would be to withdraw NZ dollars from an ATM, using my BPI peso ATM card.  I'm guessing that would be expensive.

Fastest way to get NZ dollars is to rob a NZ bank when you get there. It's not my recommendation however!:laugh:

• Haha 2

Gary D
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

First make sure you Philippines debit/credit card is valid internationally. 

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Gary D said:

First make sure you Philippines debit/credit card is valid internationally. 

Yes, the debit card is.  When BPI rolled out their new debit cards with chip last year, they touted that fact.

My U.S. credit card is good everywhere.

• Like 2

Gary D
Posted
Posted
23 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Yes, the debit card is.  When BPI rolled out their new debit cards with chip last year, they touted that fact.

My U.S. credit card is good everywhere.

Yes my UK cards are but at one time not all phil cards were.

DavidK
Posted
Posted

Despite being full of Kiwi's New Zealand is a civilised country. If you can remember the 1970's it'll be like being home from home. The banks are happy to hand out cash via the ATM machines as well. Surprisingly if you bank with a decent institution the exchange rates are usually about as good as you'll get as well.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

We are here in NZ now and I haven't got any NZ dollars yet.  I didn't check the rates at the airport.  The is a chain called No. 1 and if their website rates are indicative of typical rates, it is very expensive to exchange here.  Like everything else.

When I exchange dollars to pesos in PH, it is usually within 20 cetavos of the XE mid-market rate, which works out to less than .5%.  Here, if I exchange $500, the rate is about 2.8% less than XE.

• Sad 1

RBM
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

We are here in NZ now and I haven't got any NZ dollars yet.  I didn't check the rates at the airport.  The is a chain called No. 1 and if their website rates are indicative of typical rates, it is very expensive to exchange here.  Like everything else.

When I exchange dollars to pesos in PH, it is usually within 20 cetavos of the XE mid-market rate, which works out to less than .5%.  Here, if I exchange $500, the rate is about 2.8% less than XE.

Yes NZ is not cheap any more, one of the (minor) reasons I spend most time abroad.

Next time let me know before you travel and we can sort out Kiwi $ to our both mutual benefits.

• Like 1