Car hire

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Car hire in the Philippines, any one ever booked a car for a few days or weeks hire , looking for a company around Marikina if possible, I have read that you can hire a driver and car but I want to go where I want when I want plus stay as long as I want too so really it’s best if I was driving, but never having drove in the Philippines is it something where some of you may say don’t do it.

• Like 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted

We've hired a car several times and had no problems. My only concern is insurance, ask and probably/will say they have, but then they would.

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, stevewool said:

I want to go where I want when I want plus stay as long as I want too

Actually that is not a problem when hiring car and driver.   It is also nice having a guide who knows the area, best route, where to stay, eat, shop, etc.   The stress factor goes way down if you have a good driver.

• Like 2

Jack D
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Just drive like you do in London

I would say that it’s more like driving a bumper car in an amusement park. :hystery:

• Haha 3

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted

In my experience the drivers over here fall into one of two categories.

Those who race around on a big ego trip, usually in expensive flashy cars, with a 'me first, to hell with the rest of you' attitude and with no regard for the normally accepted rules of the road. If indeed there are any such rules over here!

The second are those who drive at 20kph, in second gear, with no clue as to what they are doing or where they are going. They very probably do not have a licence and have no idea as to what the normally  accepted rules of the road are anyway!

You will meet both types on EVERY jouney that you make. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, stevewool said:

Car hire in the Philippines, any one ever booked a car for a few days or weeks hire , looking for a company around Marikina if possible, I have read that you can hire a driver and car but I want to go where I want when I want plus stay as long as I want too so really it’s best if I was driving, but never having drove in the Philippines is it something where some of you may say don’t do it.

I've hired van a couple of times but for only one day. P 3,000. It's worth it to me when we go somewhere that I don't know the streets. Plus the driver will get the tickets for the driving infractions that the enforcers make up.:laugh: 

• Like 2

Gator
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, stevewool said:

I’ve rented a “self-drive” car a few times in Cebu and just recently in Leyte. No problems at all, just do a thorough inspection when you pick up the car and take pics of any damage. Also check the fluids - once a car I got in Cebu was quite low on oil.

I’d also request that to have a car without full tinting on the windshield -  had one of those once and could barely see the road at night. 

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Mike J said:

Actually that is not a problem when hiring car and driver.   It is also nice having a guide who knows the area, best route, where to stay, eat, shop, etc.   The stress factor goes way down if you have a good driver.

This worked best for us when travelling away from Davao. Much less stress for us and we can rubberneck at everything all around. Get a decent driver and he will know the best places to go and we don't have to worry about parking.

Sure, it costs more, but it is just so much easier for us.

• Like 3

Gary D
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Arizona Kid said:

I've hired van a couple of times but for only one day. P 3,000. It's worth it to me when we go somewhere that I don't know the streets. Plus the driver will get the tickets for the driving infractions that the enforcers make up.:laugh: 

You mean the driver will expect the foreigner pick up the fines, even had a taxi in manila ask us to pay the 200 peso fine for a makebelieve infraction.

• I'm Confused 1