History Channel "Lost Gold of WWII"

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Is anyone else following this series on the History Channel.  A group of treasure hunters looking for the  "legendary" treasure that Japanese General Yamashita is supposed to have buried in Luzon during WWII.  I have watched several of the episodes and find them entertaining.  It is amazing to watch logic fly out the window, and see supposition can turn into fact.   

Examples:

Lolo, who was a boy at the the time, says; "I saw many crates being carried up the mountain."

Treasure hunters; "Grandpa says he saw them carrying treasure up the the mountain." :89:

Lolo says: "I heard a big explosion then the men not come anymore"

Hunters: "After burying the treasure in tunnels Yamashita set off explosions sealing the tunnels and burying ALL the workers inside." :mocking:

So if you like to watch people say and do dumb things based on greed, check it out!  Goes best with a bag of chips and one or two cold ones. :smile:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)

"Reality" TV - what a joke! I tried watching that once and fell asleep, beer in hand... And repeat, repeat, repeat...it's all so dummied down. I have been watching Hitler's Last Days, or whatever it's called, about the end games of the war because my Dad was there in '44. It's also dummied down with endless repeats - that's modern TV...

Sorry, Mike... I just re-read my comments and see that they are a bit harsh - I did not intend to sound like that. I harken back to the Geraldo Rivera days of searching for hidden gangster treasure with all the hype and "drama" and it was empty of real content. To be fair, this program does make some interesting suppositions. Hopefully they will find something after all and that it will go to Filipinos?

Edited by Tommy T.
Additional comment

RBM
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Mike J said:

Is anyone else following this series on the History Channel.  A group of treasure hunters looking for the  "legendary" treasure that Japanese General Yamashita is supposed to have buried in Luzon during WWII.  I have watched several of the episodes and find them entertaining.  It is amazing to watch logic fly out the window, and see supposition can turn into fact.   

Examples:

Lolo, who was a boy at the the time, says; "I saw many crates being carried up the mountain."

Treasure hunters; "Grandpa says he saw them carrying treasure up the the mountain." :89:

Hunters: "After burying the treasure in tunnels Yamashita set off explosions sealing the tunnels and burying ALL the workers inside." :mocking:

So if you like to watch people say and do dumb things based on greed, check it out!  Goes best with a bag of chips and one or two cold ones. :smile:

Heard from friends its a great show show how ever way past my bed time.

• Like 1

Jack D
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Mike J said:

Is anyone else following this series on the History Channel.

I’ve watched bits of the first two episodes and then I gave up.

A more realistic program would be Yamashita’s Gold on Expedition Unknown on the Discovery Channel. Actual evidence of Japanese construction sites and artifacts for hiding things have been found.

Plus, there’s a living person who claims that his dad discovered some of the gold, but his gold was immediately confiscated by Marcos and he was imprisoned by the Marcos regime. Soon after, his dad was the victim of a mysterious death.

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted

Wasn't a significant amount of what was purported to be Yamashitas Gold found a few years ago?

I thought it was the subject of a court case in Hawaii and a billion dollar judgement awarded against the Marcos estate, as he allegedly stole it when he was in office.

I cannot remember the ultimate outcome but I seem to remember it is currently bogged down in the appeals system.

Jack D
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, Huggybearman said:

Wasn't a significant amount of what was purported to be Yamashitas Gold found a few years ago?

I thought it was the subject of a court case in Hawaii and a billion dollar judgement awarded against the Marcos estate, as he allegedly stole it when he was in office.

I cannot remember the ultimate outcome but I seem to remember it is currently bogged down in the appeals system.

Roxas v. Marcos

969 P.2d 1209 (1998)

89 Hawai`i 91

Supreme Court of Hawai`i.

November 17, 1998.

https://law.justia.com/cases/hawaii/supreme-court/1998/20606-2.html

• Thanks 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted

Thats a very interesting read. Thanks Jack D.

Unless I am missing something in all the legalese speak, it would appear that the case still continues?

Gary D
Posted
Posted

Sounds like a rehash of The curse of cutthroat Island. They keep chasing this illusive treasure, one week it's astec gold then templar gold then..........

• Like 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Mike J said:

Examples:

Iv'e been seeing that too. Make that 4 cold ones. Today was the one about the Golden Budha that the Marcos troops supposedly confiscated from a guys grandfather when he was only 4 yrs old. Almost as ridiculous to watch as The curse of Oak Island. Why do I keep watching this crap? Not much else to watch with Cignal TV.:bonk: 

• Like 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Gary D said:

Sounds like a rehash of The curse of cutthroat Island. They keep chasing this illusive treasure, one week it's astec gold then templar gold then..........

Yes correction The curse of oak island.

• Haha 1