Building a Home in Davao

robert k
Posted
Posted (edited)

Just lacks finishing Tommy.:smile: Glad you finally got to the physical part. I was dismayed that you had so many games to get permits.

Edited by robert k
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Thanks... Me too... The permits were a bit of hassle, but actually the most difficult part was finalizing the architectural plan. It is a very small house, yet there are so many little things to make it work. We hope it will be right when done...:fingerscrossed_80_anim_gif:

Good luck with the build. We are still at the design stage. Just about finalized that now. About to start the fun and games obtaining permits and the like. Just completed the Soil Pressure Test which turned out to show the ground is rock hard. Which is encouraging as our lot is literally on the edge of a 200 foot cliff! 

We can now complete the structural design and submit the plans for approval.

Exciting, and no doubt frustrating, times lay ahead. 

• Like 1
  • Love it 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Huggybearman said:

Good luck with the build. We are still at the design stage. Just about finalized that now. About to start the fun and games obtaining permits and the like. Just completed the Soil Pressure Test which turned out to show the ground is rock hard. Which is encouraging as our lot is literally on the edge of a 200 foot cliff! 

We can now complete the structural design and submit the plans for approval.

Exciting, and no doubt frustrating, times lay ahead. 

Bearman...  thanks for your comment!

Just look at it as an adventure! (That's what L tells me whenever she steers me on a "shortcut" to get somewhere when she really has no idea where she is steering us...:laugh: and then we get lost for 1/2 hour trying to find our way again!)

We are quite fortunate because the husband of the contractor team previously worked in the engineering department of the city. He knows everyone there and so can make sure things will happen. He is backstopped by my attorney who is quite capable and sharp too. And, of course, L - who does the main communications because she is fluent in, I think, 7 dialects, plus English? I feel we have a good team.

I did not need to get soil testing - apparently that is only required here if the building will be three stories or taller. Sounds like a good idea for you if on the edge of a cliff! Just remember earthquakes and typhoons and heavy rains - i.e. s**t - happens! Be careful!

Where will you be building your dream home?

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 1

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Bearman...  thanks for your comment!

Just look at it as an adventure! (That's what L tells me whenever she steers me on a "shortcut" to get somewhere when she really has no idea where she is steering us...:laugh: and then we get lost for 1/2 hour trying to find our way again!)

We are quite fortunate because the husband of the contractor team previously worked in the engineering department of the city. He knows everyone there and so can make sure things will happen. He is backstopped by my attorney who is quite capable and sharp too. And, of course, L - who does the main communications because she is fluent in, I think, 7 dialects, plus English? I feel we have a good team.

I did not need to get soil testing - apparently that is only required here if the building will be three stories or taller. Sounds like a good idea for you if on the edge of a cliff! Just remember earthquakes and typhoons and heavy rains - i.e. s**t - happens! Be careful!

Where will you be building your dream home?

Thanks, Tommy

Sounds like you are well sorted with regards to professional advice and oversight. 

We are in Cagayan de Oro. Uptown. Very fortunate to have a ridge lot with far reaching views and a great breeze! I take onboard your comments about typhoons and earthquakes! We did think about also buying a lot at the bottom of the cliff.........just in case! :rolleyes:

I will look forward to updates on your house build progress.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Huggybearman said:

I will look forward to updates on your house build progress.

As will we look forward to yours too! Salamat ka ayo!:cheersty:

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted

We built with an engineer about 5 years ago. Recently have been experiencing very high water bills. After considerable expense and inconvenience we understand the whole house was built wit has secondhand water pipes.

Tommy eyes open at all times.We have to remember plumb the entire house to ensure its sorted.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, RBM said:

Tommy eyes open at all times.We have to remember plumb the entire house to ensure its sorted.

More excellent advice! Thanks, RBM...will do!:smile: Thanks for sharing your unfortunate experience. I will try to learn from it.

Edited by Tommy T.