Building a Home in Davao

hk blues
Posted
Posted

Did you really just write that you make a point of letting the dog lunge at passers by when walking? And that he's controlled when doing this by a chain which you said he's already broken?

Let's hope he doesn't break loose when a kid is walking by the two of you, Tom.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

The guard dog training

I am aware that many others have written of the virtues of having a dog, but if I was living in a place where I was so scared that I needed a guard dog like the one you describe, I would definitely be looking for another place to live.

For comparison, here is my "guard dog".  He is conserving his energy right now but if there was a problem he would yip yip loud enough to wake the dead and if there was an intruder he would bite his ankles off.

temp.jpg

Edited by Dave Hounddriver

RBM
Posted
Posted

Well congratulations Tommy, all the hard work and stress has paid off by the sound of it.

To me it makes sense with the dog and alarms, its a super good deterrent even if there are no issues, guess like an insurance plus the dog sounds like fun.

Nows your time to relax and enjoy the peace and quiet.

• Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the comments...

I will address the dog comments. My wording was that I let the dog lunge "a bit," as in he just starts to move and I throttle him back, mostly now with voice command but prepared to back it up with the leash. (I put on a heavier chain now too). He broke the one chain when he suddenly and unexpectedly lunged toward an area where some neighbours' goats had been grazing recently. The dog loves to eat goat poo!!! Yuck! I am training him to automatically sit whenever someone is approaching on foot, cycle or car. He is getting it! Bacon/cheese doggy treats keep him in line (bribery does work!) and we try to play with him often and let him run.

And @RBM nailed it - the idea is deterrence. There have been no incidents of theft or violence around here. But we did have those teenagers from an adjacent settlement hanging out and obviously casing our home a few months back. These are just precautions and we sleep soundly as a result.

We also finally obtained home insurance that includes earthquakes as well as theft and vandalism and fire, of course.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

Just an adjunct...

Today we have the air/con installer here to clean and check the units. I am most impressed by his team. They have a compressor and all other tools required to clean and service the units. And they clean up after their work... So far - after about a year - the Panasonic units have worked flawlessly. No complaints here...

• Like 5

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Just an adjunct...

Today we have the air/con installer here to clean and check the units. I am most impressed by his team. They have a compressor and all other tools required to clean and service the units. And they clean up after their work... So far - after about a year - the Panasonic units have worked flawlessly. No complaints here...

We have had our annual maintenance/cleaning service done by Emcor, Panasonic units also -  IIRC you bought your units from them.  We have thus far been very happy with them and it's not so expensive at around 750php per unit from memory.  

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Saw the earlier posts about watch dogs, thought I would show you how mine behaves.

Hannah in bed.jpg

• Haha 2

TyrionLannister
Posted
Posted

Well Tommy, I have read every comment ITT and I can honestly say that I enjoyed your journey immensely!

Thanks to you and L for sharing it...

As a Manila condo guy, I would never build a house here but it was enthralling following your trials, tribulations and eventual victory!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1