Building a Home in Davao

hk blues
Posted
Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, jimeve said:

Yes circuit breakers, thinking of British terminology, wall sockets,  Outlets were you plug appliances in. It's fairly new about 4 years old. Good advice about not letting a roofer to get involved. Wife's fault she always rushing to get things done and not thinking. 

Is it just 1 socket or all of them?   If it's just one then it could be a wiring problem - not as big a job as it sounds IF you can pull through the new wire using the old as tie-wire.

Also, never discount the possibility that the "new" breaker/fuse isn't as new as it should be! 

Edited by hk blues
  • Like 2

jimeve
Posted
Posted
38 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Is it just 1 socket or all of them?   If it's just one then it could be a wiring problem - not as big a job as it sounds IF you can pull through the new wire using the old as tie-wire.

Also, never discount the possibility that the "new" breaker/fuse isn't as new as it should be! 

There's 8 sockets that's not working. the new breaker came in the original box. Going in town to find an electrician in the morning. 

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, hk blues said:

And that it might not have been installed correctly in the first place and finally failed? Look for water or moisture damage in that area but don't poke around in the box - do it at a distance with a strong flashlight (I know...torch).

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Tommy T. said:

And that it might not have been installed correctly in the first place and finally failed? Look for water or moisture damage in that area but don't poke around in the box - do it at a distance with a strong flashlight (I know...torch).

Could even be a Loose or detached Cable to the Unit. The Tester just maybe lighting from residual or Static or even a slight Arc from the Nearest close Fuse fitting

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

Could even be a Loose or detached Cable to the Unit. The Tester just maybe lighting from residual or Static or even a slight Arc from the Nearest close Fuse fitting

That's what I was thinking too. I guess he could carefully give the inward feeding lines a slight wiggle test with one breaker energized to a light to see if that makes a difference. But only where the insulation looks intact and strong. Maybe even a simple inspection outside from the meter to the circuit box?

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

That's what I was thinking too. I guess he could carefully give the inward feeding lines a slight wiggle test with one breaker energized to a light to see if that makes a difference. But only where the insulation looks intact and strong. Maybe even a simple inspection outside from the meter to the circuit box?

I'm interested to know how the outlets/sockets are out but not the lights - you'd imagine a loose wire between the meter and box would impact all the electrics rather than the outlets only.  Also, I wonder if it's all outlets or only those in one section/area?

Anyway, no doubt Jim will update us when he gets to the bottom of it.  It's useful to know such things for future reference so always happy to hear about others trials and tribulations.  

• Like 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Tommy T. said:

I'm going to get an electrician to inspect the wiring. Not sure what is a unit? of electric? i have multi Circuit breakers one for each floor. the one in question is in the sala and the breaker is for the wall AC outlets the appliances that you plug into. Not sure what they are called over here! Just spent 4 hours trying to get hold of an electrician. still no joy.  

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I'm interested to know how the outlets/sockets are out but not the lights - you'd imagine a loose wire between the meter and box would impact all the electrics rather than the outlets only.  Also, I wonder if it's all outlets or only those in one section/area?

Anyway, no doubt Jim will update us when he gets to the bottom of it.  It's useful to know such things for future reference so always happy to hear about others trials and tribulations.  

15 minutes ago, jimeve said:

I'm going to get an electrician to inspect the wiring. Not sure what is a unit? of electric? i have multi Circuit breakers one for each floor. the one in question is in the sala and the breaker is for the wall AC outlets the appliances that you plug into. Not sure what they are called over here! Just spent 4 hours trying to get hold of an electrician. still no joy.  

You would check for voltage in the box. or at an outlet and it should be somewhere at or near 240 volts.

I had a problem on the yacht with 12 volts once. I would get the proper voltage, but a light would not work. Checked the light in a different circuit and it was fine. I had nothing to lose, so I just cut the wire closer to the battery and found the copper inside was green and crumbly - very bad sign. So I cut the wire two feet closer to the battery (circuit panel) and the wire was still nasty corroded. So I did this one or two more times and I found solid, golden copper! Good for me. I just spliced in a new wire from that point forward and that fixed the problem. That's why I suggested you look for moisture in or near that box.

Did you try plugging in just a low wattage light, that you know is working, into the appliance outlet to see if there is any power at all there? You want to be certain that your outlet or breaker are at fault.

If you can, take a photo or two of the circuit box and post them here? Never hurts to take a look...

By the way, if you think this discussion will run a while, maybe it's best to start a new topic for it? I leave that up to you guys... it doesn't bother me to stay here...

Too bad you are not close here. I think I could isolate your fault for you although I would be a bit hesitant to do the actual repair - I'm not so good at splicing wires by twisting them together and wrapping them with electrical tape the Filipino way...:shock_40_anim_gif:

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 2

jimeve
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Did you try plugging in just a low wattage light, that you know is working, into the appliance outlet to see if there is any power at all there? You want to be certain that your outlet or breaker are at fault.

My last post on this, Just tried plugging a killer-watt device into an outlet and it's completely dead. Even though the new breaker has not tripped. Thanks everyone for your concerned I did not want to hijack your thread Tommy.

I will keep you updated on another thread that I will create :smile: lol.

• Like 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted

It could be the return that has come adrift so the tester screwdriver would still light. We have lights and outlets on different rated circuits. Often when a light bulb blows it will trip the lighting circuit. This happened some time ago and the relatives couldn't understand why the outlets still worked.

• Like 1