Building a Home in Davao

Gary D
Posted
Posted

Yes we have our main exposed currently and water heats nicely but in the early morning it's a bit chilly for me. The rest of the family have no problem, I guess they've never known any different.

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
35 minutes ago, Gary D said:

Yes we have our main exposed currently and water heats nicely but in the early morning it's a bit chilly for me. The rest of the family have no problem, I guess they've never known any different.

We hope to install water heating panels on the roof, but not sure yet if there will be space if we put in electric solar panels. Our hot water use is not so big as the aircon... But I see all the equipment for sale at Citi Hardware and it is not expensive.

I am planning to have cold and hot mixers at all sinks and showers. That way we should be able use the heaters full on always and just add some cold to make it just right - at least that's the plan...

jimeve
Posted
Posted
17 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

We hope to install water heating panels on the roof, but not sure yet if there will be space if we put in electric solar panels. Our hot water use is not so big as the aircon... But I see all the equipment for sale at Citi Hardware and it is not expensive.

I am planning to have cold and hot mixers at all sinks and showers. That way we should be able use the heaters full on always and just add some cold to make it just right - at least that's the plan...

I know this is a little late Tommy, is your house South facing? Not only for solar panels but for getting protection from the sun. Think about it, if your house is East facing  it will get all the sun making it hot and at dusk it will have the sun too from the West. Mine is facing East and in the morning it gets hot. Could not help that though, (lay of the land and sea).

• Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, jimeve said:

I know this is a little late Tommy, is your house South facing? Not only for solar panels but for getting protection from the sun. Think about it, if your house is East facing  it will get all the sun making it hot and at dusk it will have the sun too from the West. Mine is facing East and in the morning it gets hot. Could not help that though, (lay of the land and sea).

Thanks for the thought, Jim!

No, the house is east facing. About half the roof will be deck terrace and the other half will be slightly sloped downward to the west. The location and house design really had only one way to fit to give us the views and orientation we most preferred. Sounds similar to your situation. To the west the house will be shaded from - guessing now - maybe 3 pm on? There are now a few huge mango trees to the west and we will plant other fruit trees there too.

There will be nice overhangs and awning-type shades that will, hopefully help with the heat and, of course, the rain. There are also more mango trees to the east that will shade at least the low, early morning sun. I am sure there will be some mistakes we will discover after it is done, but we think we have planned it out mostly okay. Fingers crossed!

• Like 1

intrepid
Posted
Posted

Tommy, I've been away a few days and don't have time to read all.  However, I did read your comments and thoughts of your shower and made me want to suggest something I did.  If it's not too late for you, I had them install all doors on the first floor to be 3' wide, including shower.    Never know the future.  Most all wheel chairs will fit thru 3' openings.  Hoping this is the last house I build or live in.:tiphat:

• Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, intrepid said:

Tommy, I've been away a few days and don't have time to read all.  However, I did read your comments and thoughts of your shower and made me want to suggest something I did.  If it's not too late for you, I had them install all doors on the first floor to be 3' wide, including shower.    Never know the future.  Most all wheel chairs will fit thru 3' openings.  Hoping this is the last house I build or live in.:tiphat:

Thanks for your thoughts, Intrepid!

Perhaps another time soon, we can pm about that. So far, I think it's covered, but the arrangement of showers and CR's in this house is non-standard... I have not actually measured the sizes, but the CR's will be bigger than standard...

And, yeah... me too about last house to build... I'm getting too old for this!

Edited by Tommy T.

Gary D
Posted
Posted
26 minutes ago, intrepid said:

Yes the normal width here in the Philippines for a cr door is only 60cm, bedroom 70-80cm and external doors 90cm.

• Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

11 hours ago, Gary D said:

Yes the normal width here in the Philippines for a cr door is only 60cm, bedroom 70-80cm and external doors 90cm.

So, I have a question regarding CR doors. It seems that they are always inside opening doors. Why are there no outward opening CR doors? As I think about it, I have never seen outward opening bathroom doors anywhere I have lived... I ask this because outward opening doors would work better in the new house.

Gary D
Posted
Posted

Privacy, same as bedroom doors open into the room so you have to open it to look around it. Also an outward opening cr is no good if the lock is broken, you can't put your foot against it.

• Thanks 2

jimeve
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

So, I have a question regarding CR doors. It seems that they are always inside opening doors. Why are there no outward opening CR doors? As I think about it, I have never seen outward opening bathroom doors anywhere I have lived... I ask this because outward opening doors would work better in the new house.

The only outward opening doors I have seen are emergency escape doors. The reason for inward opening doors I would presume is that you don't hurt anyone, if it was an outward opener one could hurt a person upon opening the door.:crashh:  

• Thanks 1
  • Hmm thinking 1