Building a Home in Davao

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, jimeve said:

The only outward opening doors I have seen are emergency escape doors. The reason for inward opening doors I would presume is that you don't hurt anyone, if it was an outward opener one could hurt a person upon opening the door.

Totally logical, Jim... Why didn't I think of that?

Both your and Gary's answers make perfect sense - thank you both!

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 1

Viking
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Gary D said:

Privacy, same as bedroom doors open into the room so you have to open it to look around it. Also an outward opening cr is no good if the lock is broken, you can't put your foot against it.

Sorry, but I have to disagree. In my country thats exactly the opposite how we do it. Cr doors are always outward opened here and bedroom doors can be both, it mostly depend on the layout of the room if it will be inward or outward opened. 

8 hours ago, jimeve said:

The only outward opening doors I have seen are emergency escape doors. The reason for inward opening doors I would presume is that you don't hurt anyone, if it was an outward opener one could hurt a person upon opening the door.:crashh:  

Emergency doors is obviously outward opened for a reason but other doors :89:

With the logic of inward  opened doors because of not hurting others, does that mean that there is people ONLY at the outside of the doors ? :tongue:

I think it would be more practical to look at what would be best for each room, I dont know how many times I have been in minimal cr:s in PH, with inward opened doors, scratching my head thinking why they didn´t make it outward opened instead :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

Maindoors in PH is often inward opened, when I asked lolo why? he told me it was because it was easy for thieves to manipulate the hinges if its an outward going door. It could be true but there is ways to eliminate that.

Considering the typical small size of the houses in PH I would prefer an outward going maindoor to gain as much space as possible inside.

7 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Totally logical, Jim... Why didn't I think of that?

Both your and Gary's answers make perfect sense - thank you both!

Well, I dont follow that logic, hahaha, but as long as it works for you all is fine :thumbsup: 

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Viking said:

Well, I dont follow that logic, hahaha, but as long as it works for you all is fine :thumbsup: 

Thanks for your comments, Viking. It is good to hear a different viewpoint.

Your ideas also make sense. That is why I was asking the question. As we build our house, I was thinking about the doors and how they will open. With only one exception I can remember, CR doors always swing in everywhere I have lived or been. Here in the apartment there are two CRs and one opens outward because the design simply won't permit inward swing. It does not bother me and I didn't even think about it until yesterday when I went in there. The inward door of the other CR blocks shelves next to the lavatory sink so it must be closed, at least partially, when accessing the shelves for toothpaste, hair brush, etc and is most inconvenient.

With the new house, inward swings won't be so bad because we can make them swing from the opposite side of the sink. But we are not stuck on that idea, rather just trying to visualize it to see how it might look and work. So still not sure what to do.

You are making me think twice (or more) before deciding...

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted

Every single door in our place opens into the room except 1 CR but that's because it's under a staircase and cannot open into the CR.

I may be wrong but the only reason I can see for inward opening doors is that it's less likely to cause an accident. I take Viking's point that people can be on either side of the door, but it makes sense to have the entry safer than the exit somehow. 

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
On 10/20/2019 at 10:00 AM, Tommy T. said:

Thanks, OMW... Yeah, I have actually given a lot of thought to water heaters. I know that I don't want Voda, because that is what is in this apartment and it is total rubbish. I was thinking Panasonic. And I was planning on trying to link up a few water lines to provide hot water to more than one location. All sinks and showers will have hot and cold water connections to mixers. It's another western thing for me - I want to be able to wash dishes, hands or shower with hot/cold water mixtures... I just feel the hot water cleans better.

We had a popular local brand first - so popular I've forgotten its name already - but it didn't cope well with the varying pressure and eventually it had 2 options - off and scalding! We changed to a German brand available in Ace - Stiebel Eletron. Really not that expensive and no complaints thus far - very good design and touches that you'd expect from German products i.e. the screw fittings at the back came with 2 gaskets, presumably to stop moisture seeping behind the unit and into the electrics through the screw holes. Saying that, there was nothing in the instructions about them so I made an educated guess as to their purpose!

As an aside, when I was switching the 2 units, I just couldn't get the new one to heat the water. All was working but just cold water. After much head scratching and a few expletives, I realised that the inlets on the new unit were reversed! Mind you, the big red and blue stickers should have been a clue but I somehow missed them!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
On 10/20/2019 at 10:00 AM, Tommy T. said:

Thanks, OMW... Yeah, I have actually given a lot of thought to water heaters. I know that I don't want Voda, because that is what is in this apartment and it is total rubbish. I was thinking Panasonic. And I was planning on trying to link up a few water lines to provide hot water to more than one location. All sinks and showers will have hot and cold water connections to mixers. It's another western thing for me - I want to be able to wash dishes, hands or shower with hot/cold water mixtures... I just feel the hot water cleans better.

We had a popular local brand first - so popular I've forgotten its name already - but it didn't cope well with the varying pressure and eventually it had 2 options - off and scalding! We changed to a German brand available in Ace - Stiebel Eletron. Really not that expensive and no complaints thus far - very good design and touches that you'd expect from German products i.e. the screw fittings at the back came with 2 gaskets, presumably to stop moisture seeping behind the unit and into the electrics through the screw holes. Saying that, there was nothing in the instructions about them so I made an educated guess as to their purpose!

As an aside, when I was switching the 2 units, I just couldn't get the new one to heat the water. All was working but just cold water. After much head scratching and a few expletives, I realised that the inlets on the new unit were reversed! Mind you, the big red and blue stickers should have been a clue but I somehow missed them!

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
22 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Ah... so you did read the instructions! I am famous for buying something, attempting to install or use it and then, when all else fails, reading the instructions last... After all these years, I still haven't learned...:bonk:

Thanks for the reference... I will investigate Stiebel Eletron and maybe give that a try. I wish I had looked at the water heater last time I stayed in my favourite hotel in Manila. I always book a "junior suite" and they have the water heater hidden in the cabinet in the CR and it produces lots of hot water that I just reduce with the shower mixer - I love that!

• Like 2

Gary D
Posted
Posted

The external doors should open inwards. This is to prevent the door from being obstructed. Someone outside might be preventing it from being opened. You may have several feet of snow ( unlikely in the Philippines) or mud side,  some other obstruction. So it would be easier for the occupant to open the door inwards. Generally doors open into rooms to prevent obstuction in say a passageway.

• Like 3

Viking
Posted
Posted
47 minutes ago, Gary D said:

The external doors should open inwards. This is to prevent the door from being obstructed. Someone outside might be preventing it from being opened. You may have several feet of snow ( unlikely in the Philippines) or mud side,  some other obstruction. So it would be easier for the occupant to open the door inwards. Generally doors open into rooms to prevent obstuction in say a passageway.

I dont think one should be so sure about what is right and wrong considering this matter. There is positive and negative aspects with both solutions. As someone said, emergency exit doors are always outward opened for a reason, In Sweden external doors are also always outward opened. Choose what works for you :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Viking
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, hk blues said:

Every single door in our place opens into the room except 1 CR but that's because it's under a staircase and cannot open into the CR.

I may be wrong but the only reason I can see for inward opening doors is that it's less likely to cause an accident. I take Viking's point that people can be on either side of the door, but it makes sense to have the entry safer than the exit somehow. 

Thats the part I disagree with, I prefer to have a safe and fast exit of a room or house. Personal preference I suppose :tiphat:

• Like 1