Building a Home in Davao

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted
On 10/20/2019 at 8:55 AM, Tommy T. said:

We visited a subcontractor who will construct the kitchen cabinetry and they showed us a very nice design to fit the small kitchen space - very efficient with lots of places to stow my spices and special ingredients.

Curious who you settled on. We had our kitchen cabinets, island and vanities done by the woodworking shop that did our original doors. They had furniture on site when we visited so we thought their craftsmanship was fine. However, we were not happy with our finished products. They were so late, we accepted them, though. And the doors were never right/true.

• Thanks 1

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted
On 10/20/2019 at 8:55 AM, Tommy T. said:

I also insist that the water heaters are under counters and not visible and that kitchen and CR's all have hot and cold water mixers.

Be very careful that the "plumbers" understand what you want. Use charts, graphs, and photos with circles and arrows. I had a devil of a time explaining through my wife what the master shower piping should be. She wanted both an overhead and a handheld shower. The plumbers had never seen such a thing. Beyond a cold inlet to the heater with a built-in handheld, they were lost. As it turned out, they added an extra shut off on the wall through misunderstanding.

Another problem to watch is the local definition of "multi-point" when talking about water heaters. With a heater servicing the overhead and the handheld (just cold water at the basin), they consider that "multi-point" even though the diverter in the wall makes it physically impossible to run heated water through both at the same time. It's either pishing on your head or coming out the handheld.

I actually raised my voice while explaining it to the installers who insisted using a single as a "multi" would void the warranty. Finally, realizing it was useless,  I told them, to hell with the warranty, then. Install it!

• Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, JDDavao said:

Curious who you settled on. We had our kitchen cabinets, island and vanities done by the woodworking shop that did our original doors. They had furniture on site when we visited so we thought their craftsmanship was fine. However, we were not happy with our finished products. They were so late, we accepted them, though. And the doors were never right/true.

We are fairly certain we will use OTR - a Korean outfit - for the kitchen cabinets.

I can't remember the name of the outfit but there is some company that L knows and used before that will carve out true hardwood doors for front and back with some special wood...

Edited by Tommy T.

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, JDDavao said:

Be very careful that the "plumbers" understand what you want. Use charts, graphs, and photos with circles and arrows. I had a devil of a time explaining through my wife what the master shower piping should be. She wanted both an overhead and a handheld shower. The plumbers had never seen such a thing. Beyond a cold inlet to the heater with a built-in handheld, they were lost. As it turned out, they added an extra shut off on the wall through misunderstanding.

Thanks so much for the tips, JD!... Fortunately this contractor did multiple hot water feeds to this apartment, so they understand the concept. The current showers have hot and cold controls, just not a one piece mixer. I have already shown them photos of a shower that we really like... Here is a photo of it we got from online:Midcentury-modern-master-bathroom-with-understated-class.jpg

It has the perfect combination of mixer, rain-type shower head and hand-held shower wand... We even like the tile choice and the interesting soap, shampoo, conditioner holder built into the wall - it is contemporary and nice. The only difference between this and our actual plan is that we will have a window that opens just to the right of that holder... We want to be able to look outside and to also have the fresh air...

It will also have the simple glass enclosure. It will be maybe one half meter longer than "standard" and about 8 inches wider too. I really like big showers - I don't want to feel like a rodent in a tiny shower enclosure...

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 3

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted

Just because I'll forget if I don't post now: We used Pooh Reun Windows, a Korean company that works locally, for our vinyl windows.

All of our windows are oversized with transoms atop. Our entry doors have transom windows as well.

The windows slide horizontally and have sliding screens with anti-cut diamond grills on the outside.  The photo id the front-facing window that looks in on the dining area.

front_windows.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

I don't want to feel like a rodent in a tiny shower enclosure...

That looks real nice! We opted for no enclosure in the master and a half-width wall in the guest bath. 

• Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, JDDavao said:

Just because I'll forget if I don't post now: We used Pooh Reun Windows, a Korean company that works locally, for our vinyl windows.

We selected Phillips Glass to do our windows. Conveniently, they are located just meters away from L's school. And they have a wonderful reputation. I know they are not the cheapest outfit in town, but they have western quality windows and sliding doors. I am not sure if we will get all their top-of-the-line stuff... I have not seen their price quote, but I am imagining it might take my breath away...

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, JDDavao said:

That looks real nice! We opted for no enclosure in the master and a half-width wall in the guest bath. 

Thanks, JD...

Yeah... this apartment has the silly sliding door enclosures - with the locks! It also has a raised barrier between actual CR area and shower - maybe three inches high? Don't need or want that....

We stayed in a hotel in Makati a couple of times that had a shower very similar to what is pictured. (no tub, of course).

I just love the simple glass barrier - easy to clean, and it does the job. I had friends who did something like that many years ago and I really admired and liked that approach. 

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, JDDavao said:

All of our windows are oversized with transoms atop. Our entry doors have transom windows as well.

The windows slide horizontally and have sliding screens with anti-cut diamond grills on the outside.  The photo id the front-facing window that looks in on the dining area.

Your window selection looks very nice - functional and attractive... You did good with your design!

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
13 minutes ago, JDDavao said:

anti-cut diamond grills on the outside

What are those?