Building a Home in Davao

jimeve
Posted
Posted
33 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Good progress on the house in the past few days...

Scaffolding in place and holes for foundations being finished.

Huge rocks that may stay in place next to foundations.

Bunkhouse just built for the 10-12 workers so far.

20190914_100033_resized_1.jpg

20190914_100425_resized_1.jpg

20190914_101334_resized_1.jpg

Metal scaffolding, you're spoiling them lol. We used coco lumber for scaffolding. Did you hire or buy the scaffolding? keep the pics coming in Tom.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

And I am having great difficulties with this website today - only this one. That's why there was a double posting - I hit submit and then the site "froze". I have rebooted the computer, my wifi too... nothing is fixing this...

Thank you so much for your help!

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

REALLY BIG rocks! There is one so big they could not remove it from the post hole and it is smack dead center for the post location.

Shhh, it is sleeping.  That is a "Bed Rock".

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

bastonjock
Posted
Posted

Your building on the same type of ground that my house is built on , the big rocks are a pain they caused a lot of problems. 

What are you doing for water ? I had to pipe mine in from a spring 1.5 km away , 

As far as electricity goes , we used a joker called Allan , if your sparkie is called Alan  double check his credentials with davao light ,ive also caught neighbour's tappung into my supply, all sorted for now 

Good luck and make sure that you have any cash payments witnessed,  we paid the foreman and he blew a lot of the money diwn at the cock fights that caused a lot of hassle 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Shhh, it is sleeping.  That is a "Bed Rock".

Dave... are you in the right topic here? Should be in puns?:hystery: Unfortunately...they will have to disturb this fella (I mean the rock) - Otherwise I would let sleeping stones lie...:laugh:

Edited by Tommy T.
Fix spelling

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, bastonjock said:

Your building on the same type of ground that my house is built on , the big rocks are a pain they caused a lot of problems. 

What are you doing for water ? I had to pipe mine in from a spring 1.5 km away , 

As far as electricity goes , we used a joker called Allan , if your sparkie is called Alan  double check his credentials with davao light ,ive also caught neighbour's tappung into my supply, all sorted for now 

Good luck and make sure that you have any cash payments witnessed,  we paid the foreman and he blew a lot of the money diwn at the cock fights that caused a lot of hassle 

Thanks for the tips Baston!

Only that one huge rock is an issue due to location and size. But it's the contractor's problem, not mine. I am sure they have contingency for things like this - but they aren't super pleased about it and it's throwing off the timeline a little.

There are only two neighbours - one next door who already has his water and power (cords hanging in mango tree branches - nice). The other is maybe 75 meters away and also with power and water. That one is friendly and the contractor made a deal with her to rent a small house there, connect with her outside water tap and also her electricity. So no problems with any of that. The water is municipal water supply and the main is 200 meters away on the barangay cement road. There are a couple other small houses that are 100 meters away or more - the rest is fruit grove right now, but the owner is trying to develop it so we will see what happens. We are building a fairly high fence even though the neigbours don't have them and two sides of the property are rights-of-way so there won't be cozy neighbours on those sides. The closest has his house at the far end of this property from our house so that is good. He won't be happy though, because - against code - he built his house less than one meter from the property line (it's supposed to be two meter set-back, minimum) so our fence will block light and air from one side of it.

I am being careful with the money and receipts. The contractors are reputable and been around a while. They built the apartment building here and it was the owner who recommended them, so I can see their work - mostly pretty good. A few things are a bit wonky but I have already made notes to avoid these. Also, the apartment owner went as cheap and ordinary as possible and it shows in things like the cabinetry and ceiling material. The house will have a one year warranty - much better than the one month warranty another contractor offered.

We think we have everything covered, but there will be things we forgot or miscalculated, I am sure.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

Went out to the building site this morning.

Luckily there has only been a bit of rain - and that, just this morning. So things are progressing and no rain-soaked soil or work stoppages - yet. I know the rains will come and stop work now and then, but at least now the footings are in place and setting up nicely. I was a bit concerned about that.

The boys were very proud to pose behind that BFR (Big F****** Rock)! The contractor bailed out and sprang for a large block and tackle rig to pull that monster out of the ground.

Now they are setting the re-bar for the underground support beams. More digging and much more re-bar. They are also starting to make forms for the cement in the beams. So you can see trenches and preparations.

Again, I left them a bottle of Tanduay, some cold Cokes and chicharon... 

20190926_095215_resized.jpg 20190926_095430_resized.jpg  20190926_095439_resized.jpg

• Like 4