Building a Home in Davao

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)

I just made a quick trip to the home site - at least as quick as can be done in Davao traffic...(30 minutes going and 40 minutes returning for a 30 km round trip).

L is working but gave me her instructions and I followed them. First was to verify that the builders were going to securely tie the walls of the re-located CR and laundry rooms to the main house... check! And they already dug out the ground for footings and foundation walls.

Then I was to verify that a previously planned window for the stairway would not happen due to the revised CR and laundry room plans....check!

Lastly I needed to confirm with the foreman and electrician that there would be rough--ins for ceiling fans in living and dining room areas...check, check!

So I did my work. The boys have started plastering the walls and they look really good. I did some sightings and they look very flat and straight. I was impressed to see that they use straight boards moved along the walls to ensure they are straight. I was very impressed with their workmanship and told the foreman to pass that along to the workers. Smiles all around.

L and I are still really pleased with the work so far.

20200127_112646_resized_1.jpg

Plastering and one of the workers.

20200127_112658_resized_1.jpg

More plastering and another of the workers.

20200127_112754_resized_1.jpg

Their work looks very good and neat, straight and flat.

20200127_113001_resized_1.jpg

I am happy to make them pleased with their work.

20200127_114033_resized_1.jpg

And the excavation for the enlarged CR and laundry room. Thankfully there were no big rocks this time!

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 4

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)

There was something wonky going on with my internet connection (not unusual here...)

So I ended up with double post.

Edited by Tommy T.

Viking
Posted
Posted
On 2/1/2020 at 3:09 PM, Tommy T. said:

We drove out to the site this morning for a few hours.

The air/con installer met us so we could discuss and decide locations of inside split/type units and the outside compressors, including routing of the copper refrigerant tubing and drain water pipes. Really a good visit as we considered several different suggestions and settled with good ideas that improved the effectiveness and will save a bit on installation costs. Actually, two guys came out from EMCOR and were very professional and thorough. I really enjoy seeing this level of professionalism here and am impressed. Anything longer than 10  feet for the piping results in extra charges for the installation. We also wanted to minimize the visual impact of the compressor units so the place will not look like an office building.

So what did you choose Tommy? Multi splits, regular splits, window types or maybe even a mix of them? Did you go with Panasonic or did you choose another brand?

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Viking said:

So what did you choose Tommy? Multi splits, regular splits, window types or maybe even a mix of them? Did you go with Panasonic or did you choose another brand?

Good morning, Viking.

We stuck with Panasonic, mainly due to the very positive comments I found in some online reviews. Additionally, they were very close in price to the contenders, Kopel and Kolin. After reading comments about difficulty with service on this forum, we rejected Daikon. And Carrier seems like one is paying a lot for the name - perhaps more than the worth of the actual units. However, if the budget were even tighter than it already is, I would have even considered LG. They seem to make a lot of quality appliances.

They are all regular split type and all inverter. I really don't like the appearance or sound of the window type. So, for us, it was a personal as well as efficiency and cost decision. I think we are getting one 2.5 hp (living/dining/kitchen ground floor), 2.0 hp (master bedroom which is quite large), 1.0 hp for guest bedroom and "man cave."

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Good morning, Viking.

We stuck with Panasonic, mainly due to the very positive comments I found in some online reviews. Additionally, they were very close in price to the contenders, Kopel and Kolin. After reading comments about difficulty with service on this forum, we rejected Dakon. And Carrier seems like one is paying a lot for the name - perhaps more than the worth of the actual units. However, if the budget were even tighter than it already is, I would have even considered LG. They seem to make a lot of quality appliances.

They are all regular split type and all inverter. I really don't like the appearance or sound of the window type. So, for us, it was a personal as well as efficiency and cost decision. I think we are getting one 2.5 hp (living/dining/kitchen ground floor), 2.0 hp (master bedroom which is quite large), 1.0 hp for guest bedroom and "man cave."

I'm keeping one eye on splits at the moment, was leaning towards Carrier as S&R do a good deal. Do like the look of the LG although the Carrier efficiency looks awesome.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

The foreman illustrating "plenty wide" for the washing machine.

Maybe that is how he measures everything.  Are you sure he owns a tape measure? :tongue:

• Haha 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Mike J said:

Maybe that is how he measures everything.  Are you sure he owns a tape measure? :tongue:

Yeah, Mike... no problem. I took that photo to show L - who was at work - that there was lots of room. We measured twice to be sure... And I had my own tape with me too!

I may buy him a new tape though, because his is getting worn thin from all his checking.

And I just took another closer look at his photo...it's in his left hand!:laugh:

Edited by Tommy T.

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Gary D said:

I'm keeping one eye on splits at the moment, was leaning towards Carrier as S&R do a good deal. Do like the look of the LG although the Carrier efficiency looks awesome.

Just a caution for you, Gary...

We decided to buy from EMCOR for two reasons. First, they had the best prices - much cheaper than the SM appliance store here.

The other is that they service what they sell. SM gave me handouts detailing the service centers to go to for the various machines they sell. They service nothing, so once you leave the store with appliance in hand, they are done with you.

I looked at S & R too, but they simply sell and forget. I was also a bit wary because I know they get special deals on various things they sell that are one-off... maybe it is something that has a bad rep, or items that are outdated. Perhaps I am too cautious?

[Ah... so I see I was incorrect about this comment. I will leave it here, but make this note that it is not true. Apparently S & R does have a service center...]

Abensons also services what they sell, but their prices were a fair bit higher. I will still consider them when buying other appliances like refrigerator and oven/stove unit...

I really like the idea of buying things from a company that services what they sell - just so much easier since they have the history with me and the paper trail... no finger pointing...

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 1