Building a Home in Davao

jimeve
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Tommy T. said:

Yeah, Jim... That's the issue... They came out a week ago Saturday to "survey" and then quote installation - which I thought at the time would just be regarding extra tubing beyond the 10 foot minimum. So both L and I are a bit upset that now they say there are additional fees for the hollow block chipping? We also understand that there will be extra fees for constructing and installing the steel support racks for the compressors - that is a given...

When the installers were surveying, there was no mention of "options". We looked at how to do things when they were there and made firm decisions at that time and told them so...

I am sure they will do a good job in the end, but am a bit frustrated - as is L - that they seem to be a bit confused sometimes...

I feel the anger, nothing is straightforward over here, I too get frustrated at the way they do things.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, jimeve said:

I feel the anger, nothing is straightforward over here, I too get frustrated at the way they do things.

Sometimes it's like I take one step forward, then one to the left, then one back, another forward, then one to the right, then two back, another to the left and one forward. By then I am totally lost - and sometimes they seem to be also.

I am so lucky to have L watching my back. She was really pissed when I told her about sitting waiting for so long. She told me she essentially yelled at the service woman for a while... She is total Filipina, but has very strong western ideas and mores... I still cannot figure out why, but I will definitely never argue with those...

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Tommy T. said:

Yeah, Jim... That's the issue... They came out a week ago Saturday to "survey" and then quote installation - which I thought at the time would just be regarding extra tubing beyond the 10 foot minimum. So both L and I are a bit upset that now they say there are additional fees for the hollow block chipping? We also understand that there will be extra fees for constructing and installing the steel support racks for the compressors - that is a given...

When the installers were surveying, there was no mention of "options". We looked at how to do things when they were there and made firm decisions at that time and told them so...

I am sure they will do a good job in the end, but am a bit frustrated - as is L - that they seem to be a bit confused sometimes...

My experience with EMCOR here in Iloilo was very different Tom,  but I did ask specific questions so there was no room for misunderstanding.  No site visit was needed.  The price was for supply and install, including making the small hole through the block for the pipes.  An extra charge was levied for the wall bracket but, again,  this was made clear when we ordered.   We needed about 14 feet of pipe but they didn't charge extra although the showroom staff originally said they would.  I guess our different experiences show again that not everything is consistent here. 

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, jimeve said:

Like most here Jim, I've learned the hard way that you need to ask the right questions to get the answers you need - nothing is offered proactively.  All very well if you know which questions to ask!  

Viking
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, hk blues said:

you need to ask the right questions to get the answers you need 

I need to learn that, because I never get the answers I want :laugh:

hk blues
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Viking said:

I need to learn that, because I never get the answers I want :laugh:

I always get the answers I want, Viking - the problem is they aren't always the correct ones! 

• Haha 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)

Today L received a text message from someone at EMCOR saying that they would install the units this week... My God! She went ballistic. They are only supposed to come out to the property and install the tubing, not the units - there are no windows or doors and the plastering is not complete, not to mention painting...

So she called them back and could hear the employees talking to each other asking who texted her and nobody was admitting to it.  She then asked... well, who uses this phone? - quiet and no answer. She and I both agree there are some communication issues at least at this location... I think that is the fourth time someone asked if we would get the units installed this week... a different person each time...

What did I say before? One step forward, one step to the left, two steps back, two to the right one more forward, another to the left.... and on and on...

An aside off topic:

L told me today that she had not received a debit card from a bank - for three years! She had gone into several branches searching for it over time and nobody knew anything about it. Well, today she returned to the original branch and asked about it again and pushed and pushed for answers. Finally, someone came up with it and said, oh...it's been here all along...hehehe... Goodness, L was pissed! I suggested that she should approach the branch manager and tell him/her that she wanted pay as an employee for doing the job that nobody was doing at the bank. She agreed, but we all know it would never happen... She gets very irritated with the complications and inefficiencies  here. Makes me not feel so bad when I get upset with them...

Edited by Tommy T.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
32 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Today L received a text message from someone at EMCOR saying that they would install the units this week... My God! She went ballistic. They are only supposed to come out to the property and install the tubing, not the units - there are no windows or doors and the plastering is not complete, not to mention painting...

So she called them back and could hear the employees talking to each other asking who texted her and nobody was admitting to it.  She then asked... well, who uses this phone? - quiet and no answer. She and I both agree there are some communication issues at least at this location... I think that is the fourth time someone asked if we would get the units installed this week... a different person each time...

What did I say before? One step forward, one step to the left, two steps back, two to the right one more forward, another to the left.... and on and on...

An aside off topic:

L told me today that she had not received a debit card from a bank - for three years! She had gone into several branches searching for it over time and nobody knew anything about it. Well, today she returned to the original branch and asked about it again and pushed and pushed for answers. Finally, someone came up with it and said, oh...it's been here all along...hehehe... Goodness, L was pissed! I suggested that she should approach the branch manager and tell him/her that she wanted pay as an employee for doing the job that nobody was doing at the bank. She agreed, but we all know it would never happen... She gets very irritated with the complications and inefficiencies  here. Makes me not feel so bad when I get upset with them...

It can be frustrating when people don't do as we ask despite seeming to perfectly understand what we wanted done.

I'm interested to know why you'd want the tubing installed but not the units - surely the whole job should be done at the same time?  I understand you don't want the units damaged but wouldn't it be better to install all when you are ready? :89:

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, hk blues said:

It can be frustrating when people don't do as we ask despite seeming to perfectly understand what we wanted done.

I'm interested to know why you'd want the tubing installed but not the units - surely the whole job should be done at the same time?  I understand you don't want the units damaged but wouldn't it be better to install all when you are ready? :89:

I am not a know all here, HK. So I am following the direction of L and also the foreman...

The home is only being done with plastering inside now. We want the tubing to be embedded in the walls and not outside and visible...  The units should not be installed until the the plastering - inside and out - is finished. Also, we don't want the inside units installed until the interior is mostly finished - windows, painting, etc.

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 2/10/2020 at 6:48 PM, Tommy T. said:

I am not a know all here, HK. So I am following the direction of L and also the foreman...

The home is only being done with plastering inside now. We want the tubing to be embedded in the walls and not outside and visible...  The units should not be installed until the the plastering - inside and out - is finished. Also, we don't want the inside units installed until the interior is mostly finished - windows, painting, etc.

Thanks.

Certainly the units should be installed after all the messy work is done.  My concern would be that if the piping is embedded in the walls before installing the units, they will not be able to test the integrity of the pipework until the units are installed - any leaks etc may not be easily noticed or rectified.  Like most of us on here, i don't like ugly pipework showing but there is a compromise between the look and the easy access.  We made sure our units were installed in locations which allowed minimal pipework visible but also no pipework embedded in the walls save the exit point to the outside compressor.  

It's a balancing act.  

Edit to Add - the likelihood of any issue in the pipework is minimal t.b.f. but we did have a leak in the drain pipe so it happens

Edited by hk blues
  • Like 2