Building a Home in Davao

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, RBM said:

What ever you decide Tommy please ensure the plates are well cleaned and for me i would use epoxy paint on them, spend a little more at onset so no repeats.

That sounds like a good suggestion, RBM. L will be talking with the foreman soon this morning. I will add that thought to her conversation list. Thanks!

Edit: I just now passed that idea on to L and she made a note to discuss that with the foreman shortly.

Edited by Tommy T.

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
On 4/15/2020 at 2:43 PM, GeoffH said:

The staircase in our house has the metal reinforcement bars welded to the hand rail frame and running all the way across the wooden tread to the other side where they're welded to the vertical support bar.  Even with that the top one has always had a tiny bit of movement (I think the metal bar might be a small amount out of line).

I agree with your suggestion to extend the bars underneath because if people step on the outer edges of the board the way it is then there will be a levering force upwards on the fastenings on the other side of the center bar. 

Well... after a long conversation with the foreman yesterday, L learned some things and shared them with me.

Apparently, the flexing is totally the wood only. The centers of the steps are solid as are the vertical and horizontal supports, but the outer edges of the wood flexes and feels a bit bouncy when tread upon. So the probable fix will be to attach extra, robust, angle bar out to near the edges and also from the edges toward the front of the steps. He will, at least try that on a step to see how it goes. He will also consult with one of the contractors who is a civil engineer. It's up to them to decide and work it out in the end so we don't end up on the hook for "suggesting" any ideas that don't work and that might require further fixing... But we have a good relationship with them and they will float their ideas past us - mainly for aesthetics - before doing something questionable.

On 4/15/2020 at 7:17 PM, hk blues said:

Not sure Tom, but it looks like there is a handrail at one side only on only one section.  Is it the plan to have handrails both sides?  If so, surely that will provide stability?

The handrails will only be attached to maybe two or three steps on each side rather than to each step, so your idea will at least help on those steps. Also, when thinking about the wood flexing along the sides? Well generally we don't walk along the sides anyway however, we still want that fixed so there is little or no flexing.

23 hours ago, RBM said:

What ever you decide Tommy please ensure the plates are well cleaned and for me i would use epoxy paint on them, spend a little more at onset so no repeats.

L passed this on to the foreman who told her - oh...it is expensive. To which she replied - yes, we know, but we want this done right. She also insisted they clean the steel before coating and learned that they do have wire wheels to use in their side cutter machines. We reckon maybe a couple of gallons more or less to coat railings and stair supports, including the main support rails - or "backbones" as somebody called them. I don't mind paying for that and a lot of piece of mind and long term savings in cost and hassle.

Thanks again, Boys, for your suggestions and ideas. Any time any of you visits, the SML and Tanduay are on me and I'll cook you my killer bacon cheeseburgers. I call them killers because of all the fats and cholesterol as well as they taste good!!!!:laugh:

• Thanks 1
  • Love it 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted

Whilst it's true that flexing along the edges is not such a big deal in the short term, in time this flexing will likely begin to spread and weaken joints, fixings etc etc.  I'd certainly suggest you do continue to work on getting it fixed now. 

• Like 3

intrepid
Posted
Posted

I think I would be inclined to weld a piece of 1/4" plate steel about 3" smaller than the steps.  Using a construction adhesive to avoid squeaking sounds and small lags from the underside.  If the railings are in need of an extra support, one of the plates could extend enough past the wood tread for that extra support.:tiphat:

• Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, intrepid said:

I think I would be inclined to weld a piece of 1/4" plate steel about 3" smaller than the steps.  Using a construction adhesive to avoid squeaking sounds and small lags from the underside.  If the railings are in need of an extra support, one of the plates could extend enough past the wood tread for that extra support.:tiphat:

Sounds like a good idea - and similar to one I had before about using the steel plate. Thanks!

We suggested something like that (without the construction adhesive part) as a possible fix. As I posted earlier, we have to let the contractor decide what to do otherwise, if we tell them to do the fix in a particular way and it doesn't quite do it, then we will likely get nicked for further repairs. L also advises me that this would be a very expensive fix.

Even if we go along with the angle bar route, however, I really like the idea of construction adhesive. And I would go one step further even and will suggest it as an "idea"... I thing the lag screws or whatever fasteners they use should also be epoxied in place to minimize or prevent backing out over time - sort of like using LocTite on machine screws and nuts and bolts...

And I agree that whether angle bar or plate, the railing posts should be connected to whichever is used. Another great idea, Intrepid!:thumbsup:

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
GeoffH
Posted
Posted

Looking good Tommy T!

• Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Nice, also refreshing to read a post that is not about corona! :thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
RBM
Posted
Posted

well done Tommy place looks amazing. Good your a realist, we also had vacant land all around us for 2 years, slowly houses went up. Ended up buying additional land beside us as a buffer......The noise of construction (especially the grinders) drove me crazy.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1