Building a Home in Davao

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Tommy T. said:

I am so tired of virus related posts here and in the news... so I will post the latest about our home for a bit of fresh air. And, yes, I am wearing a mask as I type and also washed my hands before touching the keyboard... don't want to get any of you sick... (yeah... I know I said tired of virus posts, but I am trying to make a bit light of it now)

:facepalm_80_anim_gif: course you have :cryingwhilelaughing_anim:

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

course you have

Thanks for the support, Jack...:smile:

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Tommy T. said:

Thanks for the support, Jack...:smile:

:hystery::6: well I hope you washed your hands before answering me so quickly :whistling:

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

:hystery::6: well I hope you washed your hands before answering me so quickly :whistling:

Washed my hands with soap and water, then rinsed out my mouth with Tanduay... good enough?:shooter:

Sorry... but my mind is still dirty...:ohmy:

Edited by Tommy T.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
30 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

I am so tired of virus related posts here

Well matey for someone who makes this statement, you certainly do your best to continue them :whistling:

16 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Washed my hands with soap and water, then rinsed out my mouth with Tanduay... good enough?

:whatever:  Give up.jpg

• Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted

Yea Tommy fully understand your comments of it takes for ever for our partner to explain the simplest things. This used to drive me nuts during our build.

• Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, RBM said:

Yea Tommy fully understand your comments of it takes for ever for our partner to explain the simplest things. This used to drive me nuts during our build.

I have discussed this with L a number of times. She tells me that the main difficulty is that her language (she speaks 7, but Davaoweno(?) is her native one) does not have words for many things and actions that are common in English and European languages. That is why she will be rattling along in her language, or Tagalog, and suddenly a phrase will pop out in English. English has usually many explicit words for everything, whereas the Filipino languages require lengthy descriptions to get to the same place.

It is amazing to listen to her if we stop to ask for directions to go somewhere - it can take 5 minutes just to learn that a particular store or building is just down the road about .5 kms and turn right... And even then, sometimes the directions or her understanding are wrong... It drives me crazy sometimes since, many years ago, I worked on a project that assigned street names and numbers to everything in a county in Washington State. I drew the map, then assisted in giving cardinal directions (N, S, E, W...etc...). Before the address change, it was not unlike here - everyone had Rural Route names and box numbers and emergency services and others had extreme difficulty trying to find particular homes out in the country...

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

I have discussed this with L a number of times. She tells me that the main difficulty is that her language (she speaks 7, but Davaoweno(?) is her native one) does not have words for many things and actions that are common in English and European languages. That is why she will be rattling along in her language, or Tagalog, and suddenly a phrase will pop out in English. English has usually many explicit words for everything, whereas the Filipino languages require lengthy descriptions to get to the same place.

That may be the case Tom, but if your wife and the others are anything like mine it's worth reminding them that we have 2 ears but only 1 mouth for a reason!  I find this here and the same in Hong Kong - people have a habit of answering the question they expected you to ask rather than the one you actually did.  

That said, I'm sure we foreigners have communication foibles that frustrate locals so...

• Like 2

Viking
Posted
Posted
On 6/4/2020 at 10:29 AM, Tommy T. said:

20200604_090321_resized.jpg

Outlets and switches in the kitchen... I am curious - does anyone on the forum suggest whether the grounded outlet should have the third (round, ground pin) to the right or to the left in an outlet? The electrician, so far, has installed them both ways, and I want to have them all installed with the same configuration... So when I am drunk on Tanduay I can plug something in easily???

I thought all electrical appliances sold in Philippines where without a ground? So why bother with grounded outlets?

Now I expose my ignorance about electricity again :whistling:

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Viking said:

I thought all electrical appliances sold in Philippines where without a ground? So why bother with grounded outlets?

Now I expose my ignorance about electricity again :whistling:

Most are, it’s true, but there are quite a few that are sold with a grounded plug. Like many of us I am sure, I have appliances from my home country, the UK and Thailand where we lived previously. They have different, grounded, plugs. A selection of the different types we currently have in use: 

1510F7CA-2036-4F36-A2F4-8CCA976E976D.png

E58476F9-7E11-4083-9240-994DA9E8B4DA.png

864A330F-BBEA-4B40-A933-878361FCC43A.png

CF981621-A7F6-43BB-84D5-2F27A35994F7.png

I am not a great fan of using adapters to make them fit, so in our new construction I propose fitting this type

F220EBB6-0765-438B-9082-AE69E2E9074C.png

Together with a few of these at strategic points around the house.

0453704F-23FD-48DD-89D1-BB67F494683A.png

Edited by Huggybearman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1