Building a Home in Davao

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Viking said:

Your house looks really great Tommy and I understand you are looking forward to move in :thumbsup:

But the picture above made me think, it looks like the  short side joints in the flooring are all in line, from left side toward the terrace. If that is the case I am not sure thats a good idea? Usually joints are offset to minimize problems.  Sometimes  a joint like that is done in big floors so that the floor can move a little bit, but then it is necessary to leave a gap, that is covered with a strip.

I wish our house was like yours :tiphat:

Well spotted Viking!

Maybe bamboo flooring is different but certainly with laminate the joints should never be in a line, always offset.  I believe this is because the floor is effectively floating so there will be movement at the joints and offsetting them will minimise any separation.  There should also be a gap between the board and the wall all around to allow movement - it's hard to see if there is in the photo. 

If I were you, Tommy, I'd at least ask the question before it's too late. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, Viking said:

Your house looks really great Tommy and I understand you are looking forward to move in :thumbsup:

But the picture above made me think, it looks like the  short side joints in the flooring are all in line, from left side toward the terrace. If that is the case I am not sure thats a good idea? Usually joints are offset to minimize problems.  Sometimes  a joint like that is done in big floors so that the floor can move a little bit, but then it is necessary to leave a gap, that is covered with a strip.

I wish our house was like yours :tiphat:

Thanks for your kind words and also for your  close observation.

As soon as I read your post, I sent a message to the foreman. It may already be too late since I know they need to cut the wood planks. I really did not pay attention to the alignment... there are so many things going on and that's one detail that we both missed. I've never had wood flooring before.

The contractor has done other homes with the same type of flooring so it will be interesting to hear the response. The main problem may be that, if more tiles are required to do a fix, they may not be available. We got these from Trust Hardware and they were phasing out supplies of these. They had a limited supply four months ago when they were delivered. We may just have to live with this as is... Not the end of the world, but maybe not perfect either.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, hk blues said:

There should also be a gap between the board and the wall all around to allow movement - it's hard to see if there is in the photo. 

If I were you, Tommy, I'd at least ask the question before it's too late. 

I did know before that there should be a gap... I checked and that is okay. Thanks for the reminder!

Already questioned the foreman today... 

• Thanks 1

RBM
Posted
Posted

The foreman is fitting a handrail to the stairs. We found really nice ready-made handrails made of NZ pine (at Citi Hardware) and they come in one complete piece - not glued or fixed together. They have a nice shape with cool indents for the hand grips on the sides.

Tommy I suspect this has already been treated, if not please do so immediately as termites love it. I once sent a box over from NZ made of rough pine.....The box was eaten very quickly, fortunately not the contents.

• Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)

Thanks for your comments, RBM.

Those are exactly the handrails they are installing for us and, like you, found them at Citi Hardware. There is a standing order to treat all woods with Solignum before installing. But I will send a message right now to remind the foreman. He is a good man and good worker, but he is busy with so many tasks that he may forget things now and then...

>I did message the foreman and he just replied - Solignum already applied to handrails before installation...

Thanks again for your suggestion! I appreciate any and all comments that will improve or preserve our (near future) home!<

Edited by Tommy T.

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

I did not take a photo, but I was a bit amazed at the collection of so many chemicals, solvents, thinners, paints, etc. at the home site the other day. I guess I never realized how much chemistry was involved today in a home construction.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

I did know before that there should be a gap... I checked and that is okay. Thanks for the reminder!

Already questioned the foreman today... 

Regarding the planking, Tommy,  it is fixable even if they've progressed - they wouldn't really be much, if any,wastage as they would only need to cut 1 board per strip to make an offset and they could use the cut pieces at either end.  In theory! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Regarding the planking, Tommy,  it is fixable even if they've progressed - they wouldn't really be much, if any,wastage as they would only need to cut 1 board per strip to make an offset and they could use the cut pieces at either end.  In theory! 

I understand that the wood installation is already completed. I will be back at the site on Monday and see what can or will be done. We will see then what might be changed... If not, I am still okay with it...stay tuned...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Tommy T. said:

I understand that the wood installation is already completed. I will be back at the site on Monday and see what can or will be done. We will see then what might be changed... If not, I am still okay with it...stay tuned...

I guess we both know already the answer Tommy!  

You can always buy a big rug I suppose :smile:

• Haha 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
Just now, hk blues said:

I guess we both know already the answer Tommy!  

You can always buy a big rug I suppose :smile:

Ah... I think it looks okay... but a big rug was already in the plans.... 

And I do appreciate your suggestions... thanks!

• Like 1