Building a Home in Davao

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, Viking said:

Usually joints are offset to minimize problems.

What problems would it minimize?  I was thinking that it is mainly for visual that they do the varying offsets, but I don't know for sure.  I doubt that anyone will notice after the full install and the floors are clean.  I do love the color!

• Thanks 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 8/8/2020 at 8:09 AM, Tommy T. said:

He is very sharp and pointed out that the circuit breaker for one of the units was too high a value and would not trip in the event of a short circuit..

Normal is one 30 amp breaker per unit, right?

carbpow
Posted
Posted
On 8/8/2020 at 8:09 AM, Tommy T. said:

Yesterday we paid a visit and discussed a few things with the foreman, painter and air/con installer... Yes, air/con installer! Finally, he is installing the compressor units outside the home.

I see you have Panasonic units. Good decision. All their printed circuit boards in the outside units are coated with a "conformal coating" which keeps bugs and lizards from shorting something out should they get in there.

• Like 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

What problems would it minimize?  I was thinking that it is mainly for visual that they do the varying offsets, but I don't know for sure.  I doubt that anyone will notice after the full install and the floors are clean.  I do love the color!

It's not really for aesthetic reasons - laminate floors are not fixed and instead "float". This means that the joints can separate - if they are offset the separation will not run the length of the floor.  That's as I understand it.  

Tommy has bamboo though, so it may be different.  The floors look great, I agree, and it would be a pity IF some problems arose in future due to poor installation. 

Edit - I added a link to this subject

https://www.diyist.com/how-to-stagger-laminate-flooring/

Edited by hk blues
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
25 minutes ago, hk blues said:

It's not really for aesthetic reasons - laminate floors are not fixed and instead "float". This means that the joints can separate - if they are offset the separation will not run the length of the floor.  That's as I understand it.  

Tommy has bamboo though, so it may be different.  The floors look great, I agree, and it would be a pity IF some problems arose in future due to poor installation. 

Edit - I added a link to this subject

https://www.diyist.com/how-to-stagger-laminate-flooring/

Ok, I had looked around a few places and had not seen what is in your link:

"H-joints are often found on floors laid in a regular pattern, these should be avoided for both aesthetical reasons and structural reasons. Laying a laminate floor in a regular pattern decreases its ability to contract and expand as a whole unit, and instead does so as single laminate boards often causing gaps or even lifting like a hinge."

We have cheap laminate in our bedrooms that was apparently staggered properly, but we have 3 or 4 rows that separate at the ends and create large gaps.  I can slide them back into place using a hard kick/step but they return quickly.  Someday I would like to replace these floors with something nice like Tommy's and certainly want to avoid problems like this.  If you leave a gap at the end(s) for expansion, how do you keep the boards from sliding and gapping?  If I slide them into their proper places, there is 1/2 to 3/4 inch gap at the end.  Is that too much?  I was going to fill that end gap with a spacer to keep them in place.

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Normal is one 30 amp breaker per unit, right?

Don't know the answer to that, OMW... But I think that is right for an air/con unit.

The one I was referring to was an outside-the-home circuit breaker for one specific air/con unit. Apparently, each split air/con unit (compressor and inside parts) requires a separate breaker on the outside wall of a structure. The installer checked the breaker for one of the units and said it was too high capacity for that unit and would not trip if given an overload condition. So he said a lower rated breaker was required. That's why I like this guy... he seems to know his stuff!

Edited by Tommy T.

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, carbpow said:

I see you have Panasonic units. Good decision. All their printed circuit boards in the outside units are coated with a "conformal coating" which keeps bugs and lizards from shorting something out should they get in there.

Yeah... that's precisely the reason I chose the Panasonic brand for the air/cons... I read reviews about them and the gheko and other incursions were shorting out the circuit boards resulting in expensive and un-warranteed repairs...

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 1

Viking
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Ah... I think it looks okay... but a big rug was already in the plans.... 

And I do appreciate your suggestions... thanks!

If the floor is already completley done, just let it be. If you are lucky there is no problems. 

• Like 2

jimeve
Posted
Posted
21 minutes ago, Viking said:

If the floor is already completley done, just let it be. If you are lucky there is no problems. 

If it's in the bedroom, the bed should cover some of the floor. Just put a rug down on the exposed floor.

• Like 2

Viking
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

hk gave a good explanation.

Woodfloors expand and shrink depending on temperature and humidity, thats why it important to leave a gap at the walls. If the floor a tight to the wall the floor will bulge when it expand. 1/2 inch at the wall will be fine, if the room is not too big, big rooms often have a gap in the middle of the room as well. Be aware that there is a difference between woodfloor, laminated woodfloor and laminated floors, considering how much they move.

H-joints was not what I recommended, I said that it is not a good idea to have all joints in line. Best is to try to get the joints in a irregular pattern as far away as possible from other joints. This is often quite easy if you give it some thoughts before you start and you will then get minimal spill.

• Like 3