Building a Home in Davao

Yeochief
Posted
Posted

How hard is to replace out the current ones to GFCIs?  Any rewiring involved?

carbpow
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Yeochief said:

How hard is to replace out the current ones to GFCIs?  Any rewiring involved?

No. I wondered if they would work with the no neutral Meralco wiring at first so I put one in, plugged up an old extension cord and deliberately shorted it out. Got a tiny spark and it tripped. I seem to recall them tripping at a 4-5 amp change in current within 1/30th of a second according to specifications. That is a good thing .

• Thanks 1

Yeochief
Posted
Posted
23 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

applying rust inverter

I hate rust (Navy days) and most places we have looked at, the gates were rusting really bad and around the windows.

Yeochief
Posted
Posted
23 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

.and the dining table is set up with chairs

Did you buy them from a store or have them hand made?  I'm going to have them hand made so that the chairs can support my fat ass.

• Haha 1

Yeochief
Posted
Posted

Tommy, on your outside doors (doors used to enter/exit), is there a gap at the bottom?  Most houses I have seen, there doors are not sealed when they are closed.  Is that normal here in the Philippines?  I would not want to cool the outside.

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
19 minutes ago, Yeochief said:

I hate rust (Navy days) and most places we have looked at, the gates were rusting really bad and around the windows.

I hear you, Chief! I worked on a NOAA research ship as a deck hand for a while plus owned a sailing yacht. Rust busting was my job in both cases. Rust is insidious. I know I cannot stop it altogether, but maybe I can slow it down a while. Our windows have aluminum frames, so it will be corrosion to worry about there. As you likely remember - steel rusts, aluminum corrodes, wood rots and fiberglass delams... :sad:

15 minutes ago, Yeochief said:

Did you buy them from a store or have them hand made?  I'm going to have them hand made so that the chairs can support my fat ass.

We had the same outfit that supplied the hardwood doors make the table and chairs, so they were hand made. The wood and grain are beautiful, but the workmanship is a bit shoddy and the finished varnish is a joke. And they were quite expensive. We would not go that way again. However all that may last forever since the hardwood, itself, is strong...

There are some second-hand shops in the area that sell furniture and other items. We intend to visit a few of these to see if we can find other decent tables, chests of drawers and maybe chairs.

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
20 minutes ago, Yeochief said:

Tommy, on your outside doors (doors used to enter/exit), is there a gap at the bottom?  Most houses I have seen, there doors are not sealed when they are closed.  Is that normal here in the Philippines?  I would not want to cool the outside.

Great question, Chief! I went out and bought aluminum thresholds for all outside doors. I also bought "door sweeps" for those doors. So our doors will fit very tightly. Part of the reason was also to minimize or stop insects, like cockroaches from coming in. 

My God...the doors in the apartment have 1 cm gaps at the bottom. We put a towel on the floor for the front door to block the air/con air (when we use it). The norm here seems to not deal with insects or air/con leaks under doors...

We have low thresholds under inside doors (look back for a photo in a previous post) and I think I will put door sweeps on those too, since the bedrooms will be the most likely place where air/con will be used. So far, the living room area and other rooms are very comfortable during the day, with nice breezes and not needing air/con. We will see how it goes at night when we sleep...

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 8/26/2020 at 8:13 AM, Tommy T. said:

Maybe the rubber mat will be the ticket? But I will test it first.

Better to get the wife to test. Don't want you to break anything :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)

Not much to report this time, although there is a lot of work going on. It is now mostly a lot of smaller things and finishing, but there is still a lot to do...

20200903_100520_resized.jpg

This is the stash of toilets, vanity sinks, water heaters and more door hardware. L wanted magnetic door stoppers so there are 10 of them somewhere in this pile. I wanted door thresholds and door sweeps to hold the air/con cold and at least slow down the influx of insects.

20200903_120720_resized.jpg

They are treating and painting the fence and it is adding a nice look to the total appearance. The welder lowered the terrace railing a few inches and so it looks more in proportion now than before. The boys have been cleaning up a lot of the build rubbish around the property and the house is looking more like a home now. We have fiber internet that tested out at 27 mbs yesterday (10 am, who knows what it might be at FaceBook o'clock - 7 pm?), and even a land line telephone!!! Wow! I will soon be able to drop the cell tower data that I have been paying 1k/month for the apartment laptop connection(with a limit of 800 mb per day) and will be paying 1.7k/month for the fiber cable internet at the house. So I will only really be adding 700/month for higher quality and faster speeds + unlimited data. I think that is a very good deal.

Hmmm...the kitchen cabinets.... There was a hassle with these since many of the surfaces had a pink laminate. PINK!!!!!! We both were shocked. Even the sales staff at OTR were shocked. But nobody knew (or would divulge) why. My guess is that they had some leftover plywood and tried to use it. One of the employees told us that marine ply always had pink laminate!!! I got a bit angry and challenged him to ride with me to Citi Hardware or Wilcon and show me a sheet of marine ply that had pink laminate! He got very quiet then. The company said they would remove the cabinets, start over and make new cabinets by next week. They were super apologetic to L and me. I believe they are sincere but have a few workers who don't know their stuff or maybe are a bit lazy?

The window installation has been dragging a bit too. So I visited them a couple days ago and told them we were getting irritated with all the delays. They also promised to work faster. They had, apparently, a worker who was dismissed for not producing very well. They also have had difficulties obtaining supplies that mainly come from Cebu. Covid seems to be a great excuse for a lot of things - maybe some are true, maybe not. They got the message and two guys were out there yesterday when we visited and were finishing the window installs. They are still waiting for some hardware for the mozzie screen installations.

We have begun moving non-critical things into the house just to make the final move-in easier. So non-essential stuff will go into one of the finished bedrooms...

Question: Does anyone here have suggestions for where and what to buy for an electric motor for a sliding gate? All the gate closer machinery I see at the stores is for swing gates. I know these exist, but am not sure where to find these.

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 3