Building a Home in Davao

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Regarding the tiles, I will re-emphasize the importance of getting some non-slip tiles for the key areas that might get wet or damp.  This is especially important for older people who often have brittle bones!  When we did our covered front porch, we choose some tiles that have a slight texture to them and I thought that would be good enough.  It is not.  They are very slippery when wet.

Thanks for the reminder. I will be sure to put some non-slip rubber beneath a few rugs in the areas prone to be wet from dish washing or coming in from outside. I was a pro with this on the yacht so just need to find the non-skid in the stores...

I really don't need to perform any "ally oooppp" maneuvers... 

Edited by Tommy T.

RBM
Posted
Posted
47 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Yes, Jack, absolutely! I have received so many really good suggestions here on this forum that I don't know where to start thanking all the members!

Great you obvious appreciate the input Tommy. For sure we all are enjoying your build and these posts will be most helpful to future house builders.

Must say I do admire your perseverance and patience, having done same on a smaller scale its a challenge.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, RBM said:

Great you obvious appreciate the input Tommy. For sure we all are enjoying your build and these posts will be most helpful to future house builders.

Must say I do admire your perseverance and patience, having done same on a smaller scale its a challenge.

And then L wonders why I drink so much Tanduay! I am not always so patient, RBM, but I try. Yeah... I have picked up a lot of really great ideas along the way as there are many experts in this forum.

It always seems to be two steps forward and at least one step back... I would be lost without L's perseverance and attitude that things must be right. Her background with already building a home helps enormously. She knows when and how to call bulls**t when she sees it. We are also fortunate to have a cool foreman overseeing the work. He is often overwhelmed because he does the work and acts as supervisor - two tough jobs. So we try to help out and steer him and point out things that require attention. The home will be far from perfect, but it will be the best possible with our budget. We will be pleased in any case...

• Like 3

Yeochief
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

why I drink so much Tanduay!

Tommy we know why you really drink so much Tanduay, https://ph.tanduay.com/calendar-girls/

• Love it 1
  • Haha 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

Today was a solo trip to the home. L is super busy with school and not feeling well either...

The sparky was there, the kitchen cabinet guys were there and the glass guys were there.

I yelled at the main glass guy about why is it taking so long? He does not seem to get much support from his company. So I suggested that I can feel that too, so help me feel better and give me a price cut for my patience for waiting so long for your work to be done? He' actually a really nice guy so I didn't actually yell at him but I told him to tell his boss that I did - for emphasis...

The cabinet guys removed all the offending cabinets since they all had pink in one or more parts. L was like a bulldog and insisted that they make all new ones for us since re-assembled units would be like used... They agreed to that.

The sparky is moving right along with two helpers now. Today he was leading internet, cable TV cable and CCTV cable to our "library" (second guest bedroom that we doubt will ever be used for guests) which will really be the office. Internet connection is good and sooooo much better than the wireless from cell towers. I will be spoiled soon...

20200905_105945_resized.jpg

The fence is getting painted. I was assured that they will do two coats of the epoxy primer...

And today I had the landlord's kid here load up the car with maybe 8 boxes of stuff and I carted that over to the home and the boys there loaded it all into the library, which will be locked from now on.

Things are moving along and, like when I was preparing to go sailing many years ago, it all seems to be getting its own momentum. Sometimes I feel like we just need to hang on while the project careens toward the successful conclusion...

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
19 minutes ago, Yeochief said:

Tommy we know why you really drink so much Tanduay, https://ph.tanduay.com/calendar-girls/

Shhhh... I will be killed if L ever finds out!!!:Caught:

• Haha 1

intrepid
Posted
Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Yeochief said:

How many of those girls come with a case of Tanduay?  I just might start drinking:dance:

Edited by intrepid
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, intrepid said:

How many of those girls come with a case of Tanduay?  I just might start drinking:dance:

Secret!!!:shades:

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Haha 1

Yeochief
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

since L is so busy with school) will shop for beds and mattresses, curtain hardware, curtains, blinds.

I hope you have a pre-approved list of acceptable items.  Have fun.

• Like 1