Building a Home in Davao

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Yeochief said:

I hope you have a pre-approved list of acceptable items.  Have fun.

Well... I have been given some parameters... Fortunately, her tastes tend to be similar to my own... She prefers muted colours and simple, but elegant - and within the diminishing budget!

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

I did another solo visit this morning since L is so busy with school work as broadcast teaching and module distributions are underway or about to be.... Hahaha... she has even enlisted me to edit her teachers' modules for grammar and spelling. It's okay to do and not too difficult since most of her teachers are fairly proficient with English. I am pleased to be able to contribute at least a little something now to assist the teachers here during this challenging time.

Tuko welcomed me with his F**** You! and a growl... So I reckoned all was well there...

20200914_100622_resized.jpg

The floor and wall tiles are installed in the Master bedroom. We have limited electricity there right now so natural lighting is the order of the day. We love the stone-like floor tiles. They have a good texture, natural colour and feel rough on the feet. The walls are fairly simple and plain.

20200914_103437_resized.jpg

The main purpose of the visit was that it was: Kitchen Cabinets...Take II! I looked carefully and there is nothing pink around!!!... Then - and this really irritated me - I had to explain several things to the crew (who were mostly the same guys who did the first install), regarding the range hood vent outlet, range size, locations of a few things. It seems like some of these guys have low memory retention? Anyway, they were moving along and it all looked good. I think they were being extra careful this time to ensure that nothing was amiss?

But I learned something else new today... OTR uses their own manufacturing facilities to construct the cabinets. Then they use a subcontractor to install the cabinets (we knew this already). But then they use another subcontractor to install the granite counter tops. Can you imagine the finger pointing that might ensue if there are any issues between the three? So, anyway, no counter tops installed yet, as of today.

20200914_104312_resized.jpg

A couple of boys were chipping original cement and applying a new layer to help support and fill in the area on each side of the sliding gate rail - which is simply a length of angle iron laid on it's belly with the angle facing up. The gate has rollers that have a matching angle so there is great stability, security and good function.

Speaking of cement... I noticed a lot of cracks in the "masa" - cement mortar applied over the hollow blocks as a thick veneer - on the fence, recently. So I tapped my knuckles on those areas and many sound hollow. The foreman assured me that they would knock out the poorly adhered masa and redo those areas. Hmmm... So I, today, put my trusty hammer in the car and next time out will do lots more tapping with the wooden handle end and maybe breaking out some places with the business end. I already told the foreman about this and he seemed okay with it. L also thought it was a good idea.... After all, we are paying for at least decent quality work and the masa should stick to the hollow blocks...

I already, today, noticed that they have patched up several places I have noted at random... Now I am going to get serious about it!

20200914_100817_resized.jpg

Ahhh... the windows. I know they are not done yet (after a month!!!), but the initial install is sloppy in places, to say the least. In the master bedroom, on this window photo you may be able to see that the opening  window is tilted down to the right maybe a degree or two, resulting in a horrible fit... This is the bottom...

20200914_100826_resized.jpg

And this is the top. Note the air gap in the top right - the window is closed and latched. And the truly poor silicone sealant work in the upper left. I used to have a job using silicone sealant and there are many ways to do it wrong and really only one way to do it right. They need lessons and I could provide them, but I don't want to embarrass anyone. I will, however, complain to the company about the poor initial workmanship and slow delivery...but after it is all concluded and correct... I may be dumb, but I am (usually) not stupid... At least so I have been told...:shades:

• Like 5

hk blues
Posted
Posted (edited)

The windows look much better quality than the standard builder grade ones used in my place but I agree, the installation isn't perfect where you have indicated - that said, i guess there are a lot of windows so there will always be the odd error but still...

Edited by Jollygoodfellow
removed quote. Far too long to quote and not needed
  • Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, hk blues said:

The windows look much better quality than the standard builder grade ones used in my place but I agree, the installation isn't perfect where you have indicated - that said, i guess there are a lot of windows so there will always be the odd error but still...

Agreed... L and I are fairly certain they will adjust and make right, but the initial installation is a bit disappointing - I guess that was my main point...

These are the "middle" grade of what they could supply. The top grade were truly outstanding, but also outstanding to our budget!!! Their lowest grade looked exactly like the "standard" builder grade and we wanted no part of them for this home, since we're already spending a lot on the quality of the build.... That's not to say "builder's grade" is not so good, because we have seen a lot out there that seems to be "builder's sub-grade." :Caught:

The sliding doors are the only top grade items we ordered. They really are nice - heavy, yet smooth to operate, solid too.

I will wait to see what that last line brings on here in the Forum...:89:

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 3

Jake
Posted
Posted

Please notify me when you have your perimeter walls completed.  I would like to properly "bless" it.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Jake said:

Please notify me when you have your perimeter walls completed.  I would like to properly "bless" it.  

???

• Like 1

intrepid
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Jake said:

Haha Jake,  You may be the first but surely not the last.  Of course it may take a while to get fully soaked until more lots are developed and more people arrive to do mark their spot.  Just hope it is not on the side of the dirty kitchen.:angry:

• Haha 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Jake said:

20 minutes ago, intrepid said:

Haha Jake,  You may be the first but surely not the last.  Of course it may take a while to get fully soaked until more lots are developed and more people arrive to do mark their spot.  Just hope it is not on the side of the dirty kitchen.:angry:

Ah... okay... I think I get it now... sick puppies out there:tiphat:.

Let's just all hope that Mayor Sarah really lifts the alcohol ban in a few days. Then there can be lots of cold San Mig!!!

Pardon me, but I intend to be the first to bless the fence... unless the boys working already have or maybe Tuko?

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Haha 3

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Jake said:

So, Jake... You are a former Master Chief (currently Master Bater).... When will you stop by for your anointment and how much beer do I need to have on hand?

And I will ask a special favour? Please...can you do your anointment and blessings on the outside of the fence????:cheersty:

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Jake
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

So, Jake... You are a former Master Chief (currently Master Bater).... When will you stop by for your anointment and how much beer do I need to have on hand?

And I will ask a special favour? Please...can you do your anointment and blessings on the outside of the fence????:cheersty:

Roger that Tommy.  In reference to "masterbater".....that will cost you extra.  By the way, please muzzle your security dogs while I do my "extra blessings" in the dark, OK?  

• Haha 1