Building a Home in Davao

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
On 9/26/2020 at 4:37 PM, Tommy T. said:

Ah... but s***!!!! I was looking at the island and noticed the counter top was significantly crooked on the cabinets... WTF???!!! How could the installers not see this?

Assuming the counter top is aligned with the wall, the cabinets are probably not aligned with the wall.  If that is the case there would have been no way to properly install the counter top.   In other words, the problem most likely existed when the top was installed.  I would bet the workers installing the top would have noticed but did not want to "insult" either you or the other workers, contractor, etc. by pointing it out.  So now there are at least two errors to fix. :sad:

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
On 9/26/2020 at 8:06 PM, Viking said:

Have you experienced this or maybe that feature is only on some models?

When you open the door warm air enters the fridge.  When you close the door that warm air quickly cools and creates a partial vacuum.   According to Sir Google. :smile:

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Mike J said:

Assuming the counter top is aligned with the wall, the cabinets are probably not aligned with the wall.  If that is the case there would have been no way to properly install the counter top.   In other words, the problem most likely existed when the top was installed.  I would bet the workers installing the top would have noticed but did not want to "insult" either you or the other workers, contractor, etc. by pointing it out.  So now there are at least two errors to fix. :sad:

Yeah... I agree with your assessment.  I have not yet heard back from the cabinet suppliers. Soon I will call them this morning with my latest complaint,.  I am not a continual complainant, but both L and I are  very irritated with this company and their lack of quality work.

Like I mentioned in an earlier post - this seems to be a problem because they have a sales department, a design department, then a production team, an installation team and then finally, a "completion" team. So many individual groups that do not interact well... So the entire system is disfunctional...

And, it appears that the glass supplier works (or does not work) in exactly the same way... We are having many issues with them in exactly the same manor...

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 4

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

Okay... today my patience with this construction finally snapped.

I called and yelled at the glass contractor on the phone.

I called and yelled at the cabinet contractor on the phone also.

I cannot ever reach the home construction contractor on the phone... or I would have yelled at her also - and I am sure she would know that...

• Like 4

hk blues
Posted
Posted
On 9/26/2020 at 8:06 PM, Viking said:

I will also get  a bottom freezer model next time, for the same reasons you just said. I never understood why having it at the top and why the selections of bottom freezers are so limited compared to top freezers. In Sweden it´s the opposite, bottom freezers are much more popular, you can almost not find top freezers in the stores.

There is a technical reason for this - you can search online but basically cold air goes down and thus the cold air from the freezer helps with the cooling of the "normal" part of the unit.  It's basically more economic.  

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Mike J said:

When you open the door warm air enters the fridge.  When you close the door that warm air quickly cools and creates a partial vacuum.   According to Sir Google. :smile:

Agreed - I don't think it's a lock as such and definitely not only an issue on Panasonic - we have a Samsung and the same thing happens - you can actually feel and hear the vacuum breaking as the door opens but you do need to give it a good yank.  

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, hk blues said:

Agreed - I don't think it's a lock as such and definitely not only an issue on Panasonic - we have a Samsung and the same thing happens - you can actually feel and hear the vacuum breaking as the door opens but you do need to give it a good yank.  

Hmmm... giving things a good yank???

• Haha 4

jimeve
Posted
Posted
23 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Hmmm... giving things a good yank???

There's a few on here.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Okay... today my patience with this construction finally snapped.

I called and yelled at the glass contractor on the phone.

I called and yelled at the cabinet contractor on the phone also.

I cannot ever reach the home construction contractor on the phone... or I would have yelled at her also - and I am sure she would know that...

Welcome.jpg to the real world of Filipino House Building ( Finishing) :wink: Tom, Most of us ( or certainly many) have been here, believe me when I say " The proof of the Pudding is in the Eating" best of luck I'm sure we all understand how you are feeling :shades:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Viking
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, Mike J said:

That makes sense :thumbsup:

12 hours ago, hk blues said:

There is a technical reason for this - you can search online but basically cold air goes down and thus the cold air from the freezer helps with the cooling of the "normal" part of the unit.  It's basically more economic.  

You are probably right even if I don´t understand what you are  trying to explain. If cold air get out from the freezer it must be very badly insulated, or do you mean that the freeze and ref compartment is connected in some way? 

I guess it is up to every individual to decide what is most important to them, saving some money on electricity or have to bend down every time you want something in the fridge. I know what I will choose :wink:

12 hours ago, hk blues said:

That´s "good" news, I was a bit conserned about this because out of the back of my head, I remember that the reply people got from Panasonic when they complained about this was that it was a feature they had so that the fridge would not loose to much of the cold, and because of that you had to wait 1 minute before you could open it again.