Building a Home in Davao

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

The house looks great!  Almost ready!  It will look amazing when you get all that new furniture in with a few decorations too. 

I don't think I could do a build like this.  I don't have the patience to deal with all those little details and fixes.  I would rather buy something ready to go, built to high standards.  Not easy to find unless you find an expat built house.

Without Covid, you probably could have been done in 50 pages, not 71!  :hystery:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I don't think I could do a build like this.  I don't have the patience to deal with all those little details and fixes.  I would rather buy something ready to go, built to high standards.  Not easy to find unless you find an expat built house.

OMW...  Thanks for your comments.

I know I could not do this again.

You can easily see this was a challenging project (still is for a bit longer). I would probably not have done it if I knew in advance how it would go. This has definitely been much more difficult than the home build back in the '80's. And it would never have happened without L's building knowledge and guidance. And she will also be the guiding light on decorating and there will be plants all around inside and out. I will likely spend half my days watering them all!

But, as you say, it's not easy to find a quality built home. We looked at several homes and a few condos... They were either poorly constructed, in bad locations or way too expensive in our opinion. Those are the reasons we decided to build. At least we know that it is a relatively high quality construction. And the location is relatively quiet...for now. I am positive the contractor would never build for a foreigner in the future....!

In retrospect, I would have stayed on site 24/7 to observe and guide. And I would need a larger budget. I am truly shocked at the high prices of some things - real estate, some hardware, furniture, appliances. And the virus certainly didn't help matters. But, at least the alcohol ban is gone (for now anyway) so I can assuage my irritation and angst with some Tanduay somewhat.

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 5

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

OMW...  Thanks for your comments.

I know I could not do this again.

You can easily see this was a challenging project (still is for a bit longer). I would probably not have done it if I knew in advance how it would go. This has definitely been much more difficult than the home build back in the '80's. And it would never have happened without L's building knowledge and guidance. And she will also be the guiding light on decorating and there will be plants all around inside and out. I will likely spend half my days watering them all!

But, as you say, it's not easy to find a quality built home. We looked at several homes and a few condos... They were either poorly constructed, in bad locations or way too expensive in our opinion. Those are the reasons we decided to build. At least we know that it is a relatively high quality construction. And the location is relatively quiet...for now. I am positive the contractor would never build for a foreigner in the future....!

In retrospect, I would have stayed on site 24/7 to observe and guide. And I would need a larger budget. I am truly shocked at the high prices of some things - some hardware, furniture, appliances. And the virus certainly didn't help matters. But, at least the alcohol ban is gone (for now anyway) so I can assuage my irritation and angst with some Tanduay somewhat.

Here is a quality home in Baguio.  My wife chatted with a lady about it and it was built by a Swiss engineer who has now gone home.  We considered Baguio for a while but same as other areas, prices are super high.  Seems like something needs to happen in Philippines real estate.  Is this bubble territory?  I really did not move here to pay U.S. prices for a Filipino standard house.

https://www.property24.com.ph/5-bedroom-house-and-lot-for-sale-in-baguio-city-116461236

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Here is a quality home in Baguio.  My wife chatted with a lady about it and it was built by a Swiss engineer who has now gone home.  We considered Baguio for a while but same as other areas, prices are super high.  Seems like something needs to happen in Philippines real estate.  Is this bubble territory?  I really did not move here to pay U.S. prices for a Filipino standard house.

Agreed. Nice home and quite large by Filipino standards. Even ours at about 150 sqm (both floors included) is considered large. I am sure that home would be solid if contracted by a Swiss engineer!

But that price?....

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

But that price?....

That's my point.  Outrageous asking prices.  It probably cost him half that to build.

Edit:  Sorry, no need to sidetrack your topic.  I don't want your build to go over 75 pages!

Edited by OnMyWay
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Jake
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

Edit:  Sorry, no need to sidetrack your topic.  I don't want your build to go over 75 pages!

On page 76, is when the "blessing" commences on Tommy's new wall.  Who's with me?  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jake said:

On page 76, is when the "blessing" commences on Tommy's new wall.  Who's with me?  

Great!  Open invitation to load up on Tommy's beer and then piss on his wall! :-)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jake said:

I'm not a fireman...

no matter how hard I try I can't possibly reach from Bendigo (and over a wall) to Davao :hystery: 

• Haha 3

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

Geez!!!! Now I have to deal with a bunch of comedians, as well as ex-Navy boys!!!:Caught:

• Haha 3

jimeve
Posted
Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Tommy T. said:

Geez!!!! Now I have to deal with a bunch of comedians, as well as ex-Navy boys!!!:Caught:

You're got the cowboys and navy boys.

YMCA :hystery:

Edited by jimeve
  • Haha 4