Building a Home in Davao

intrepid
Posted
Posted
20 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

But I do have a few questions for you Intrepid... Does the basic unit include car remote controls? And if so, how many? Does it come with an in-house remote control?

My basic unit came with two in car remotes.  The in-house remote was an additional option.

What I reckon I need from perusing the website is the opener unit (I will go for the 800kg version - 220 volt), one house wireless remote and then 5 meters of the steel track. Does that sound about right to you?

Yes, sounds good.

I don't thing I need laser or infrared sensors and I certainly don't want any flashing lights!!!!

Tommy, the infrared sensors are not very expensive at all.  I would highly recommend them.  If your not familiar, they are what will save your car or you from getting crushed if the gate closes while something is in the path.  It will automatically reopen before touching anything.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

intrepid
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

This is better service than I am accustomed to in USA!

Thanks again for your great recommendation! 

:thumbsup:

Well, here we are on Pg 75 now.:smile:  You are so very welcome.  I had made the same comments to my wife.  This company is great.  They are #1.  Along with this their prices are very fair.  I have seen no other company with these values and only can wish other companies could learn from them.  :tiphat:

• Like 1
  • Love it 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)

Believe me... I will be delighted to be on the last page of this build description...

Anyway, another visit today for the two of us.

Now that we have a couple of chairs in the library (man cave) I am really enjoying lounging there a while when L goes out to talk to the workers. On goes the aircon and it works quite well. After 10 minutes at high speed, I turn it to automatic and the fan slows to a whisper yet keeps the room at 25 or wherever I set it. It's nice to get a bit spoiled. I hope to buy the bar fridge in a few days.

20201008_100729_resized.jpg

The painter has gotten his act together and has been applying very nice coats of a satin finish varnish to the doors. It helps the grain stand out and the colour is natural.

20201008_113215_resized.jpg

A bunch of plants we brought in already. One of the boys waters them daily.

20201008_114140_resized.jpg

It's a simple home but actually a bit complex in places. Here the boys are working on the main car sliding gate - filling in the corners and any gaps. The sparky has been installing lights on some of the fence posts and another guy has been cleaning and painting the remaining steel bars.

20201008_102626_resized.jpg

Oooppps... The roof deck has a really funky drain that is just not right. The foreman was not there so we could not talk with him about it. It was already a bit clogged and there was a shallow puddle of water leftover from the previous night's rain.

But there was more good news than bad.

On our way home, we finally saw someone at the nearby bottled water station. He confirmed that they would deliver and we got the phone number. He was a nice guy and said that he could set us up with somebody to pick up our rubbish once a week.

Across the road is a small market/grocery - almost a sari sari store. They had a remarkable selection of fresh veggies, standard canned foods, even a few frozen meats. The woman was very nice and happens to be related to one of L's closest friends. We plan to test to see if we text her the day before she goes to the market (Mondays and Fridays) she might buy special request items for us? And, of course, we shall pay her something for her trouble.

The home is outside of Panda or other delivery services so this would be a real treat for us so we would not have to drive 5 km or more to the nearest mall to shop (and I really hate malls!).

It's a nice feeling to finally be getting services together and to also meet some of the locals.

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 4

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Tommy, I was looking at the picture of the glass shower wall you posted.  I used to install a lot of glass and I think that the install as shown is not entirely safe.  The top of the glass is only supported at the top left corner.  If a taller or heavy person were to slip in the shower and hit the glass you could get excessive flex.  This could cause it to shatter due to the twisting torque at the top attachment.   A safer alternative is to run the glass clear to the ceiling although the left wall would also need to be raised in the picture shown to make it look correct.   I also like this type of shower enclosure, very clean elegant lines and not metal to corrode or rust. 

Midcentury-modern-master-bathroom-with-understated-class.jpg

• Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Mike J said:

Tommy, I was looking at the picture of the glass shower wall you posted.  I used to install a lot of glass and I think that the install as shown is not entirely safe.  The top of the glass is only supported at the top left corner.  If a taller or heavy person were to slip in the shower and hit the glass you could get excessive flex.  This could cause it to shatter due to the twisting torque at the top attachment.   A safer alternative is to run the glass clear to the ceiling although the left wall would also need to be raised in the picture shown to make it look correct.   I also like this type of shower enclosure, very clean elegant lines and not metal to corrode or rust. 

Thanks for your comments and concern, Mike. I understand and see your point.

Well, the glass, itself, will be tempered so there should be no flexing. The width of the glass is also quite small so the thought is that there will be only a small moment of potential flex or stress. Not disagreeing with your comments, just my thoughts.

Running the glass to the 10 foot ceiling might be safer, but it would look a bit weird seeing as the tiles only go up to about 200 cm from floor. By the way, the shower is enclosed totally with walls to ceiling on three sides - not like in that photo I found online...

There will be three attachment points - 5 cm from the top, another some distance from the top and one about 5 cm from the bottom. The middle one will be well above half way to try to mitigate the concern you raise.

There will be an aluminum channel along the floor that will be screwed in place and then the glass will fit inside that with silicone sealant all around. Part of my thinking was also the cleaning aspect... One sheet of glass, no sliding door track to collect dirt or mold. And it looks modern and neat.

That is also another reason I had them install the "sissy bar" as a supporting handhold. I am tall, but not - yet - fat. So I just won't let any of these geezers who drink my beer and pee on the fence take a shower! They can just use the hose outside...:laugh:

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted

Looking fabulous Tommy over a year of endurance, now reap the wonderful results, you have earned it, both of you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Thanks for your comments and concern, Mike. I understand and see your point.

Well, the glass, itself, will be tempered so there should be no flexing. The width of the glass is also quite small so the thought is that there will be only a small moment of potential flex or stress. Not disagreeing with your comments, just my thoughts.

Running the glass to the 10 foot ceiling might be safer, but it would look a bit weird seeing as the tiles only go up to about 200 cm from floor. By the way, the shower is enclosed totally with walls to ceiling on three sides - not like in that photo I found online...

There will be three attachment points - 5 cm from the top, another some distance from the top and one about 5 cm from the bottom. The middle one will be well above half way to try to mitigate the concern you raise.

There will be an aluminum channel along the floor that will be screwed in place and then the glass will fit inside that with silicone sealant all around. Part of my thinking was also the cleaning aspect... One sheet of glass, no sliding door track to collect dirt or mold. And it looks modern and neat.

That is also another reason I had them install the "sissy bar" as a supporting handhold. I am tall, but not - yet - fat. So I just won't let any of these geezers who drink my beer and pee on the fence take a shower! They can just use the hose outside...:laugh:

In Hong Kong we had glass shower enclosure as you're getting - It had 2 panels either side and the door in the middle.  The panels were fixed all around with silicon and 3 brackets to the wall.  They did not go full height.  We were there 5 years and there was no issue BUT we never slipped in the shower to test the stability!

Honestly speaking, I have a fear of such an accident and worry about exactly what Mike J describes (not necessarily your situation but in general with all-glass enclosures) in that a hard dunt will cause some flex and such a flex may be an issue at the point where the glass is held by the bracket, but i suppose as it a common enough enclosure it must be OK.  Just be double-sure about the fittings and sealing.  

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, hk blues said:

In Hong Kong we had glass shower enclosure as you're getting - It had 2 panels either side and the door in the middle.  The panels were fixed all around with silicon and 3 brackets to the wall.  They did not go full height.  We were there 5 years and there was no issue BUT we never slipped in the shower to test the stability!

Honestly speaking, I have a fear of such an accident and worry about exactly what Mike J describes (not necessarily your situation but in general with all-glass enclosures) in that a hard dunt will cause some flex and such a flex may be an issue at the point where the glass is held by the bracket, but i suppose as it a common enough enclosure it must be OK.  Just be double-sure about the fittings and sealing.  

Thanks for your comments HK. All good advice!

The glass here will go just to below the top of the wall tiles, maybe 5 cm? I got the idea from hotels we stayed at - as I posted previously. I reckoned that, if they put this sort of thing in a hotel in the Philippines... what could possibly ever go wrong?

Yeah... I have some fear about slipping in the shower too. The floor tiles in the cr's have a rather "aggressive" texture so I am hoping that will help.

You can count on me double checking everything. And I will also give the glass some moderate "bump" tests just to see what happens. I really hate surprises!

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, RBM said:

Looking fabulous Tommy over a year of endurance, now reap the wonderful results, you have earned it, both of you.

Thanks for your thoughts, RBM.

Well... the bar refer is there and stocked. With the aircon running quietly in the background, we can both relax a bit sometimes when we are there. Two sofas are due to be delivered in maybe one to two weeks. Yesterday I found some fairly decent office type chairs. I found one that I could probably fall asleep in - that may be my pick! So... you are right, we should soon be enjoying reaping!!!

I checked the water and pressure was a bit low, still ran on the roof deck, but not much. But on ground and second floor and the kitchen sink there was plenty of pressure and there was hot water! I was delighted. I will give the water service, as is, a try for a month or two. If it seems to flag often, then I will spring for a booster pump on the roof deck.

Our sparky has agreed to install the gate opener and will charge half of what the "authorized" installer will charge. He was very busy looking at the parts and the installation manual. We discussed the location of the motor and some other details. This guy is thorough and careful.

We are making a lot of side deals with the foreman and the sparky. We are being careful to not interfere with their contract work - don't want to piss off anyone unnecessarily, even if they are not delivering as promised... 

• Like 4