Building a Home in Davao

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

The first durian tree went down where planned

The house is looking great Tommy!

But what are you going to do for snacks now the Durian tree is gone?  :whistling:

• Haha 1

RBM
Posted
Posted

What date is house warming Tommy, need to get tested for flight........

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

S**t!!!

We are on page 76... the dreaded page that Jake warned me about. Well... There is still work being performed on site. I will be there tomorrow to check progress while L remains bogged down in endless DepEd paperwork. By the way, 5 teachers in her department were in close contact with a school nurse who had recently been in close contact with someone infected in another school... So they are all at home under 14 day quarantine...

On 10/18/2020 at 10:37 AM, GeoffH said:

The house is looking great Tommy!

But what are you going to do for snacks now the Durian tree is gone?  :whistling:

Thanks for the compliment, Geoff. I guess I don't have to wear a clothespin on my nose any more when visiting our home?:laugh:

6 hours ago, RBM said:

What date is house warming Tommy, need to get tested for flight........

Hmmm... don't rush yet RBM... We still need to furnish the place a bit. In fact, today we were at Mandaue Foam (again!) and ordered up several items to start to fill the place up. We are doing our bit to improve the local economy now!

But, trust me, you will be one of the first to know!

Cheers!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)

Well... it keeps on going...

Yesterday was very depressing. I opened up a door to the guest bedroom and it reeked of cigarette. I became unglued and yelled at the foreman. There was also a cigarette butt on the floor in the entryway. No no no!!! This is not a toilet!

I think he got my point. I apologized later to him because I know it is not really his fault. He is so busy trying to complete the build that he has little time to do what he should be doing - supervising. We (L and I) see this as the fault of the contractor - expecting the foreman to do everything all at the same time... enough...

Some of the stairsteps have been installed and they looked like a 5 year old had put them in place - they were not aligned not even close and so looked very haphazardly set. Both L and I yelled at the foreman about this too... 

L and I retired to the library where I sipped some Tanduay and she drank orange juice. The aircon helped settle us both down and the Tanduay helped settle me down. And, trust me, L was also royally pissed!!!

Meanwhile, there is other progress. The main sliding car gate is done and the sparky is mostly done with the installation of the opener. He has also moved some "pin" lights to be better located than his original installation.

Today, several chests and my office chair and desk are being delivered to the home. We spent some time at Citi Hardware and bought treated outdoor wood and roofing for the living room lanai - to be built solely on our nickel by the foreman and maybe one other after completion of the main house.

20201023_122343_resized.jpg

The car and human gates, complete with the decorative stainless bolt/nuts.

No other photos because nothing else new to really show... unless you want to see 1/2 inch deep sawdust and dirt from the stair completion. We finally figured out that these guys have little to no experience with wood working. They love and do fairly well with cement, but that's about it. So mainly I have been guiding and advising them about how to deal with the wood. After 20+ years living aboard and working with teak wood on a yacht, I have a bit of experience to share with them. They seem to appreciate the advice as I praise them for their efforts. When they are all gone and done with the build, I may need to spend some time to finish the wood the way I want it... I guess it will give me something to do other than write long posts here.

The window company was at it again, trying to fix the misaligned opening windows and installing the fly screens. At least there is a guy we deal with who is reacting to our comments and criticisms...

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 2

intrepid
Posted
Posted
28 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

They seem to appreciate the advice as I praise them for their efforts. When they are all gone and done with the build, I may need to spend some time to finish the wood they way I want it... I guess it will give me something to do other than write long posts here.

Tommy, I am sure you know know when owning a home it is never done.  Also, many know if you want something done correctly you must do it yourself.  I would grade my woodworkers here maybe  85%.  I think they could do better with better tools.  Finish was really good including the stair treads.  However, the movers placed a few small scratches and our dogs nails added many more while excited and trying to fly up or down when she was younger.  The finish was sprayed and was nice.  I plan clean the scratches and lay few coats with a brush soon.  You too will keep busy fixing and upgrading after you get settled and relaxed.  I know you will enjoy having your own place where you can be relaxed and not rushed.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
On 9/27/2019 at 11:03 AM, Tommy T. said:

Here is about how it should look when complete.

I say "about" because it will have partial roof deck and partial sloped roof. It will not have any cement "awnings" but rather plastic or metal. I know they won't last as long, but the cement versions just look ugly to us - heavy handed - even though that is standard in the Philippines. If they break or wear out, then we'll replace them. Master's bedroom upstairs on the right - I already envision us enjoying our morning coffee on the small veranda there...

So it isn't really fancy or pretty, but rather functional and contemporary. My architect neighbour (who didn't have anything to do with it, but I showed it to him for his opinion) liked the design and simplicity of it.

House Rendering.jpg

I've not got around to reading all of your posts but I'd be careful with the flat roof and bedroom upstairs.  I lived in a similar property for just over one year and the heat from the roof makes the bedroom cook, you need your air con on. Any time there was a brown out you could feel the temperature rising instantly.  Within ten minutes it was too hot to sleep.  I convinced the landlord to build a sloping roof with a 6 inch gap around it to allow air flow and the temperature difference was amazing.  I never needed air con. 

• Like 2