Building a Home in Davao

hk blues
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

Welcome.jpg Tommy to te provincial way of Life, Something that City Dwellers don't always notice until they are involved daily with it, Along with HK, I am surprised that "L" is surprised when this is what Happens around School Gates, You will get used to it eventually, I have found the more you mention it and get irritated by it the more it happens. On my Build once they realised it upset me and the more I cleared up after them the more they did it. PAYBACK time for our constant search for Perfection methinks :wink: Tom once you are moved in it will stop BUT it will still happen outside your gates mate. My helper can spend 1/2 an Hour a day sweeping up after the Kids dropped Wrappers and such  :whatever: Its Life mate

Adding to Jack's comments ref. litter - I seem to remember some chat on this forum on the subject of clearing up the area surrounding our property.  Unless I'm mistaken, the consensus was to not do it on the basis it won't make any difference in the long term and the task will become "your" responsibility. 

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

Tom once you are moved in it will stop BUT it will still happen outside your gates mate. My helper can spend 1/2 an Hour a day sweeping up after the Kids dropped Wrappers and such  :whatever: Its Life mate

I know you guys are right. You have the time and experience here that I don't yet have.

However... one good thing at the home - for now - is that there are only a few neighbours nearby. And all but two are on the "upstream" side of the access road toward the main road.

So I guess we will just pay a little to help the local trike driver to pick up the trash when he will take ours too. It's the best we can do, I reckon?

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Unless I'm mistaken, the consensus was to not do it on the basis it won't make any difference in the long term and the task will become "your" responsibility. 

You may very well be correct HK and Jack. However, so far, the litter seems to be coming from our vendors and not from the neighbours. Two of the nearest neighbours are school teachers from L's same school. She can always "advise" them as she is senior to all of them. Another is a city engineer and he seems to keep a fairly neat place next door.

And, yeah... there are a few younger kids from another place down the road, but they do not come by often. I think they dump their trash along the main barangay road?

Anyway, I am not irritated or upset about this really. Just observing how things are going so far. And, so far, so good!

hk blues
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

I know you guys are right. You have the time and experience here that I don't yet have.

However... one good thing at the home - for now - is that there are only a few neighbours nearby. And all but two are on the "upstream" side of the access road toward the main road.

So I guess we will just pay a little to help the local trike driver to pick up the trash when he will take ours too. It's the best we can do, I reckon?

If your motivation is purely to make your environment better for your own personal satisfaction then why not, Tom, but don't look for any gratitude or recognition for it - and indeed understand that it may bite you in the ass later.

We have a street cleaner but I'm also "guilty" of picking up litter around my house - I have never, ever seen any of my neighbours do this even if it's their own litter.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

:shock_40_anim_gif: Tom! think on that for goodness sake once word is out that you will pay, you may end up being a Pickup Point for Trash, People will come from afar just to avoid paying themselves to dispose of Trash :89: It happens mate :whistling:

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, hk blues said:

If your motivation is purely to make your environment better for your own personal satisfaction then why not, Tom, but don't look for any gratitude or recognition for it - and indeed understand that it may bite you in the ass later.

We have a street cleaner but I'm also "guilty" of picking up litter around my house - I have never, ever seen any of my neighbours do this even if it's their own litter.

Yeah, HK, I hear you loud and clear. L gets pissed when people leave their rubbish on the road outside of the compound where the apartment is located. The only reward is to try to reduce the clutter and also the health hazards. I agree that that's the best we can do.

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Two of the nearest neighbours are school teachers from L's same school. She can always "advise" them as she is senior to all of them.

Not a course of action I'd be encouraging, Tom.  Pulling rank at school, fine.  Outside school -hmmm.

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

:shock_40_anim_gif: Tom! think on that for goodness sake once word is out that you will pay, you may end up being a Pickup Point for Trash, People will come from afar just to avoid paying themselves to dispose of Trash :89: It happens mate :whistling:

I get your point, Jack. I will have a discussion with L about this. I understand what you are saying. We will start staying out there tomorrow night. We will figure things out... I appreciate your comments.:tiphat:

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Two of the nearest neighbours are school teachers from L's same school. She can always "advise" them as she is senior to all of them.

Yes maybe at School BUT "Birds of a Feather" do not always get along especially when they may not have the same views as "L" Not all have this Western Influence you tell us about :smile: BTW have you seen any Google photos of City Trash Street Dumps of Late? :whistling:

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Not a course of action I'd be encouraging, Tom.  Pulling rank at school, fine.  Outside school -hmmm.

She never pulls rank at school. She is highly respected actually. She is also, unlike me, respectful and way cool about dealing with co-teachers and friends... She would never push, but just subtly (again, unlike me) suggest) maybe... Again... appreciate your thoughts.