Building a Home in Davao

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

Yes maybe at School BUT "Birds of a Feather" do not always get along especially when they may not have the same views as "L" Not all have this Western Influence you tell us about :smile: BTW have you seen any Google photos of City Trash Street Dumps of Late? :whistling:

Things are way cool with L and her co-teachers. They are very considerate with us.

No, they don't have the same western thoughts, but they, so far, respect hers and mine.

I have not yet seen that reference you mentioned. I will check that out a bit later.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Things are way cool with L and her co-teachers. They are very considerate with us.

No, they don't have the same western thoughts, but they, so far, respect hers and mine.

I have not yet seen that reference you mentioned. I will check that out a bit later.

Tom, let me be Frank here My Friend, considerate is one thing, trying to influence others ways of Life is so different, Please don't be Naive enough to think anyone in your new Home area will welcome advice on how things should be Done,  Remember, You are the new Kids on the Block, Telling others in anyway how to behave to your Standard will maybe brush them up the wrong way and you may well put a target on your Back, Tom, I have been there, You are  sailing into uncharted waters for you and things may go wrong if you are not very careful of how you treat your neighbours of whatever class or profession they be of,  "leopards & spots" come to mind here,  Some people  just do not want to Change. We actually have a certain member on this Forum who thought he could change the World around him, he is now so depressed and has become a "Billy no mates"  and no longer writes here because he would not listen and  blamed us for his misfortunes.

I don't often give advice on Personal Life BUT on this Occasion and having been involved with this type of issue quite recently, the Phrase "One step at a Time" is one to think about. More Frank than Harsh but  cap that Fits.jpg:wink: So my friend as they are considerate with you, be considerate with them and see how things Pan out before giving Advice :smile:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love it 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

So my friend as they are considerate with you, be considerate with them and see how things Pan out before giving Advice

Advice received and well taken... thanks!:smile:

• Like 2

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Well Tom it’s been a long journey longer then you would have thought but you are so close .

Its been interesting reading your story and I am sure you have given some folk some good ideas about what they may be doing in there future lives and other folk to think not a chance am I going though all that.

Anyway I wish you all the happiness in your home and I am sure you will still have many months of getting the outside just as nice as the inside looks .

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

RBM
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Advice received and well taken... thanks!:smile:

I concur Tommy, Jack has given outstanding advice here, its up to yourself if you take it.

When we moved into our difficult build I thought as my neighbour (bank manager) would listen when we tried to explain her large dogs tied on a 1 meter chain would not allow us to sleep......Well talk about a can of worms....

Had we of know this earlier would not of built, she purchased this house during our build.....

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Not being sarcastic here, but I really think this guys and his helpers have painted the interior of the house at least four or five times. When building the house in USA many years ago, the painting was just about the last thing to do before moving in. We did it in one day by having a "painting party," where we invited a bunch of friends to come out and paint. We provided all the equipment, there was scaffolding and we put on a good spread of food and lots of beer and wine (for afterwards). Two coats of paint throughout a 1.7k sqft home in one day and it was all done. Tarps and plastic on the floor so no mess.

These boys here did not place any tarps or cloths when painting so there are white paint spots everywhere. So they now have at least two guys cleaning up the mess on the floors. Maybe this is just to keep people employed?

We visited my friend's resort a few weeks ago.  They are doing a lot of painting and fixup.  At the end of the day, he pointed at 2 guys painting a wall.  Maybe 9 X 15, and there were adjacent walls to be painted too.  He said they had been painting that one wall all day.  At one point, he asked them why they were sitting down, and they said they were waiting for the paint to dry.

• Haha 2

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

I take my hat off to you Tommy it looks a great house and nice and modern. I had the idea of building before I first came to the Philippines as it makes sense if you know what you want. Having been here over 4yrs now and bought a condo just seeing the standard of workmanship around me has quashed my dreams. 

I have had the pleasure of watching the workers repair damage to the resort I live in since the typhoon on Xmas day. I seriously have to bite my lip and the workers are from a very large maintenance company. I won't crash your post but in short I've never seen such incompetence and poor organisation in my life. Literaly having to do the same job ten times as it's done in the wrong order and very poorly each time. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 10/27/2020 at 6:40 AM, Tommy T. said:

There is a lot of blue plastic wrap to remove from the stove and refrigerator.

You are not Filipino.  Filipinos leave any sort of protective plastic on forever.  Even on a stove!  :shock_40_anim_gif:

• Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
23 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

You are not Filipino.  Filipinos leave any sort of protective plastic on forever.  Even on a stove!  :shock_40_anim_gif:

I got frowned at by SWMBO and her mama look gobsmacked when I started pulling the blue plastic off the new stove for the kitchen a couple of years ago.  It wasn't until I explained 'on a stove that gets hot the blue plastic is a fire risk' that they relaxed :)

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

@gas

We are about to use the refrigerator for the first time Since you have the same model, can you tell me if there is anything to remove by the compressor. The sales guys told me something about Styrofoam but I forgot. It is in its alcove now so it would need to be moved to access the back.

I appreciate any other thoughts or advice too.

Thanks!