Building a Home in Davao

Gandang Smile
Posted
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, hk blues said:

My only concern with the sit tight strategy is that if and when the market recovers, will it ever achieve close to 20M anyway?  You paid 10M, maybe 4 years ago I'm guesstimating, so where is the justification for 20M?  Even with a good wind behind you a 100% R.O.I.in 5 or 6 years is extremely good. And as we know there will be no good wind behind us here anytime soon. I don't mean to be disrespectful b.t.w. just realistic.  

Good luck with making the best of what you have - at least at 10M investment you have some chance to get out with something to show for it.

Well, that's exactly the point. Everybody in the Philippines is being brainwashed to "buy the unit while it's hot", at the lowest possible price, maybe off-plan, because there will be an opportunity to sell at 60, 70, 100% higher. This is what has been happening with some properties in some parts of the Philippines.

I heard that Azuela Cove, the first Ayala Premier development south of Cebu, had around 35 units on their first towers, all priced at around 37M (!). They got all snapped up in less than a year. Rumour has it all the big families in Davao rushed to have one, as a status symbol. From what I understand, the Ayala name really makes these sorts of miracles.

I haven't seen Azuela Cove so I have no idea about the quality but one thing I know is the condos in front of Aeon, Abreeza Place and Abreeza Residences, under the Alveo (mid-level) brand, had exactly the same sales price/sqm as Aeon Towers when I bought my unit. True, they have window-type air con, underwheling amenities and the finishings are mediocre.

Yet, they got completed a full 2 years before Aeon and, in terms of rental, that is easily 1.8/2M in profit. We are all sitting on arguably the best condo in Davao, but one that is difficult to rent and impossible to sell.

Edited by Gandang Smile
  • Like 2

Viking
Posted
Posted

Hey guys, this topic is about Tommys housebuild :wink:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

RBM
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Viking said:

Yes and we are waiting the next update Tommy....Cold beers on the terrace I suspect.

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, RBM said:

Yes and we are waiting the next update Tommy....Cold beers on the terrace I suspect.

He might be digging a tunnel to smuggle in that Tanduay seeing there is a ban now! 

• Haha 4

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, hk blues said:

He might be digging a tunnel to smuggle in that Tanduay seeing there is a ban now! 

Who told you???!!!

• Haha 5

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, Viking said:

No problem! This topic, to me, is about our house building and ownership and whatever anyone wants to say about any of it. My part is just trying to relate our experiences and, hopefully, our sharing might assist others to decide whether or not to build and possibly what that might entail for them. Maybe some can learn lessons from our mistakes and successes? I am the last person to ever be offended by straying off topic since I am a chronic violator:shades:.

@RBM... Cold beers on one of the two terraces are good, but so are cold Tanduays in the air/conned library/office. It's time for a dose of decadence and we are stepping up to the plate. Hopefully we will be as done as possible with the house project (I will NEVER say "totally" done!) and relax. We are still effectively supervising a small crew, plying them with food and soft drinks regularly and treating them like extended family. They are good kids and always helpful to us. Two of them enjoyed riding my motorcycle into town to buy some supplies for the construction.

The sparky was beaming when he opened and closed the electric gate successfully for the first time. The cement for the base was still a bit weak so he stopped to repack it and give it a day to set. He was like a kid with the remote... So I snatched it from him and told him we will play with it tomorrow - all with laughs...

We still need to get some more furniture and build some basic storage spaces for all the stuff we have. Today we organized the last possessions from the apartment, stowed a bunch for longer term and placed others for ongoing use. I still have to try out the nice, big oven and make some cookies or brownies. I still need to buy my Lazyboy chair too.

L is lobbying heavily for a TV and I agree that we should get one very soon. A landscaper will be hired for consultation and initial work so we can get a start on planting trees, decorative plants, veggies and flowers. Even some grass (no...not THAT kind!:huh:).

So that's all I know... Too bad you guys don't stop by for a beer, while it's still free!:cheers:.

• Like 3
  • Love it 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
Jake
Posted
Posted

WOW, that backyard looks huge!  From a world class yacht sailor to your new castle, you could build a 40 footer sloop and make it your future dog house.  You know, just in case you fall behind on L's honey do list.  

Also after everything settles down, look for any squatters living within your property.  I'm talking about rodents, critters and insect infestation.  And during this monsoon season, how's the drainage away from the house?  Again, well done Tommy!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Jake said:

WOW, that backyard looks huge!  From a world class yacht sailor to your new castle, you could build a 40 footer sloop and make it your future dog house.  You know, just in case you fall behind on L's honey do list.  

Also after everything settles down, look for any squatters living within your property.  I'm talking about rodents, critters and insect infestation.  And during this monsoon season, how's the drainage away from the house?  Again, well done Tommy!  

Thanks  for the comments, Jake. (Hope you are doing okay there and can still smell your farts!). Total lot size is 660 sq m. The back yard is just less than 440 - or four city lots.

Nah... over and done with sailing and boats. But the house does feel huge to me (about 1,000 sq feet more or less) and I am enjoying the space. I already have a dog house - that work house at the back....complete with dirt floor and tabo powered toilet without seat...perfect. Not had to use it yet.

The workers threw out scraps of food and bones and local dogs stopped by regularly. Now they meet a locked gate. I have seen a rat outside and the boys said there have been rats inside before. But I bought a nice, plastic garbage can with fitted lid and we are careful with our rubbish. The local chickens don't come in and soon won't easily be able to when the back gate is sheeted in with steel.

The first three days you could have spotted me roaming around with Baygon as I went after the ant parades in the house. They still inhabit in a few places, but the swarms are gone. One cockroach so far - a German roach - those are the ones that are difficult to purge. But we don't leave food out so there isn't any action. I will be hospitable and place numerous cockroach and ant hotels to welcome all comers.

Drainage is good. The back gate was allowing a small river to run through it at first during super rains, but a couple months ago, the foreman built up a "speed bump" that would stop a Mack truck in its tracks! He will also construct a simple intercept drain to steer excess runoff past the gate opening and around the fence. Today the boys dug a shallow ditch along the far side of the right-of-way and that will also help. This is not a flood prone area at all, but a slight hillside with a small, intermittent river down about 20-25 feet below our elevation and maybe 100 meters away.

• Like 3

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

Are the bull nose trims on the steps metal?  I rented a house in Oriental Mindoro and coming down the stairs I caught my achilies area on the sharp edge of the one's fitted in the property and it took a shaving off my leg a good five inches long.  A few weeks later my friend who was staying over did the same.  I took a file to them to round the edges off as they were lethal.

• Like 4