Sick while on Vacation in the Philipines

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Good to hear you recovered fully and did not ruin your visit. 

Without sharing personal information I would be curious to learn how Medicare deals with those bills. 

graham59
Posted
Posted

Happy to hear you are alive. 

I believe most people find that as the number of visits increase, then the amount of 'illness' decreases, through tolerance and immunity build-up.  Your body learns, remembers, and adjusts accordingly...if allowed to do so... if you're not dead already.  :thumbsup:  

• Like 4

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Old55 said:

Good to hear you recovered fully and did not ruin your visit. 

Without sharing personal information I would be curious to learn how Medicare deals with those bills. 

My understanding is that USA Medicare only covers you in-country.  I file with my secondary when I have a medical bill incurred in the PI if the amount is worth the trouble. FYI

• Like 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Ice Patrol said:

I became quite ill after having dinner at a fast food type restaurant in Iloilo City.Although I did not have diarrhea the vomiting was really bad .My friends went to the pharmacy to get something that might help but they recommended that I go to the ER.It was nearby so we went to the Iloilo Mission Hospital.I got checked in and a doctor attended to me within a few minutes.They put me a room and gave me fluids intravenously and anti nausa medicine.Even after a couple of hours there I could not hold down a sip of water.After about 24 hrs I felt better and could eat some fruits but still really weak.I eventually recovered and the doctor released me after 2.5 days.I can't say enough good things about the staff attending to me and my Doctor.They were just great.And the cost including the doctor? $650.00 Usd.They could not file this on my Medicare ins.so I paid with my credit card.Here locally in the US It cost $1250.00 just to enter the ER.And the total cost at $4000.00 minimum.They made sure to give me all the paperwork and receipts so I could file a claim with my secondary health ins co.I was able to make my scheduled flight home 2 days after I was released from the Hospital.I really Enjoyed my 3 week vacation in the Philipines and I will return next year.....     :cheersty:

As we get older our bodies get weaker. It just happens. My GF and my son still like the street food once in awhile but I won't touch it. 99% of the food I eat is cooked at home. The rest is at the fast food places where the meat is imported from the US, like Mcdo Shakeys, or Burger King. Glad you are ok. :dance:

• Like 4
  • Love it 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, graham59 said:

I believe most people find that as the number of visits increase, then the amount of 'illness' decreases, through tolerance and immunity build-up.  Your body learns, remembers, and adjusts accordingly...if allowed to do so... if you're not dead already.  :thumbsup:  

I think that's true.:mellow:

• Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Glad you are better, so the total for the stay in hospital plus medicine was 4000 dollars, sounds like so much money but our health comes first.

• Like 1

Kuya John
Posted
Posted
21 minutes ago, stevewool said:

Glad you are better, so the total for the stay in hospital plus medicine was 4000 dollars,

:tiphat:

5 hours ago, Ice Patrol said:

They were just great.And the cost including the doctor? $650.00 Usd.

• Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
22 minutes ago, stevewool said:

Glad you are better, so the total for the stay in hospital plus medicine was 4000 dollars, sounds like so much money but our health comes first.

I believe the OP was saying it cost $650, and IF if had happened in the USA, it would be a minimum of $4,000.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ice Patrol
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, graham59 said:

I agree with you and I hope to stay well on my next visit to the Philippines

• Like 1