Sick while on Vacation in the Philipines

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, GeoffH said:

I use tap water here for brushing but I am careful not to swallow and I always use antibacterial mouth wash right after brushing.

Haven't had a problem doing that so far.

Ditto.  Did that for more than a decade with no ill effect from brushing.

Shaving in tap water is a different matter though.  If there is any amount of Staphylococcus (staph) bacteria in the water then it gets in through the tiniest of cuts from shaving.  Fortunately it is rare, but it happens and causes skin infections from boils to more severe damage.  Just a suggestion, but if anyone is getting boils when shaving then do not wash any freshly shaved areas with unboiled tap water.

• Like 5

Ice Patrol
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Old55 said:

I didn't mean to put you on the spot and appreciate your comments.

At age 65 I am signed up for Medicare but am still working. I've been studying add-on plans that would cover visiting or living in Philippines.

No problem Old55 .I took my time choosing the best all round plan for me.But the good thing is that these ins companies offering the medigap policies have to follow government guidelines and are really good about processing your claims as they should.One thing to note - All the ins companies offer the same group of policies but the price will vary for the same policy.So contact an agent that sells these policies and they will tell you the best price for the  policy you want....

• Like 2

fototek1
Posted
Posted

I had some bad luck in 2017 while visiting and ended up in the hospital as well. I was satisfied with the treatment and very happy with the prices. Long story short, I had pneumonia and they saw mass in the lung. I was 46 years old and a week away from traveling back to the US. Anyway I made it back to US for follow up care and the mass was just nipple shadow but I was found to have Latent TB. Latent TB means that at some point I was exposed to someone that had TB and was contagious and the disease was in my system but I was not contagious. I Went through the optional treatment in the US and paid thousands out of pocket. The mistake in the Philippines was they never should have let me travel until determining it was Latent TB and not full blown TB. I have many friends that are physicians in the Philippines and they say almost half of Filipinos will test positive for TB (being Latent TB). The determination between latent and full blown contagious TB is a mass in the lungs...... It was actually one of my Filipino physician friends that recommended I get tested for TB when back in the US. He had worked in a TB hospital whiel in school and told me lots of stories. Anyway my Asawa and I are headed back to the Philippines in January for three weeks. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Ditto.  Did that for more than a decade with no ill effect from brushing.

Shaving in tap water is a different matter though.  If there is any amount of Staphylococcus (staph) bacteria in the water then it gets in through the tiniest of cuts from shaving.  Fortunately it is rare, but it happens and causes skin infections from boils to more severe damage.  Just a suggestion, but if anyone is getting boils when shaving then do not wash any freshly shaved areas with unboiled tap water.

That's something I never though about before, I always use boiled water to shave but them proceed to wash my face with the tap water so could be a problem.  I haven't had any skin problems but who knows?

• Like 3

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
22 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Shaving in tap water is a different matter though.

I found that out using my electric shaver. Always considered myself a Bright spark. :whistling:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Ice Patrol
Posted
Posted
52 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

I found that out using my electric shaver. Always considered myself a Bright spark. :whistling:

The electric shaver seems to be a great alternative to the razor for added safety and less hassle.I have never had a cut ,scuff or scrap from a E. shaver.Just shave and use your best aftershave and that should be your best bet for safety and wellness.I will definitely bring my electric shaver with me on my next visit....Thankyou Jollygoodfellow

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Ice Patrol said:

I will definitely bring my electric shaver with me on my next visit.

But make sure it will run on 220 volts or be prepared to buy a transformer here to make 110 volts... They are available at any hardware store and are not expensive...

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

But make sure it will run on 220 volts or be prepared to buy a transformer here to make 110 volts.

If it is a decent make and there are many out there, They usually have a dual voltage switch at the Bottom of the Shaver ( well my Phillips does and my Previous Braun had too) :smile:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Clermont
Posted
Posted

Thank you boy's, In the past I had this shaving bit all rapped up until someone spilt the beans saying shaving wont worry your passport photo.  :whistling:Since then life's been a constant nag about shaving before we head back over at the end of October.  Now I've got a new defense, staphylococcus or possible getting it through varies means. In the past I've tried electric shavers and not much joy, they either bog down or pull the whiskers out, the blade ones, I get about three parts of a shave before it starts taking the bark of my face. So, what I'm asking of all off you, don't come up with solutions, just let it lie and except that shaving over there can lead to getting staphylococcus. Many thanks in advance. :thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Love it 1
  • Haha 2