New here, my experience so far

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

So you order food online for delivery?

If so, do you order just McD or others?

Have you tried Food Panda yet?

I am curious about the delivery and order costs... There are many times I just don't want to cook and I don't want to got out to order and pick up the food...

McD charges P40 for delivery. Jollibee and Shakeys don't charge but we always tip the driver.:mellow:

• Thanks 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Have you tried Food Panda yet?

No Food Panda around here where I live.:ohmy:

• Sad 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Arizona Kid said:

McD charges P40 for delivery. Jollibee and Shakeys don't charge but we always tip the driver.:mellow:

Totally reasonable... Of course I will tip the driver mayby 50 pesos or so...

• Like 2

canadamale
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 10/28/2019 at 7:58 PM, Freebie said:

I share a lot of time with a filipina ( sorry , but not interested in having a " wifey"..been there , done that and never again)....and Ive/ shes  recently completed a major transformation.

She no longer wants Jollibee as she now knows what the ingredients really are ( lots YouTube clips on how the food is produced and the added artificial "extras " but the best is , she now knows about the sugar/ bleaching content of white rice  and now we only eat brown rice. Tad more expensive but so much better tasting and more nutritious.  Changes can be made to the white rice addiction if you go about it properly.

Not sure how I can cure her of the dried fish thing but I enjoy them too sometimes.. and thankfully shes not into lechon, or chips or soda....happy to have a healthy home here !

congratulation sir, in my home town Edmonton, Alberta Canada. they recently opened there first Jollibee, two weeks later there is still a two hour wait to get seated [no kidding] I had no belief the filipino community was so large in the Edmonton area. Hopefully when I get back the lines will have slowed down. I am dying to try there 2 piece spicy with rice.

Edited by canadamale
  • Like 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, canadamale said:

congratulation sir, in my home town Edmonton, Alberta Canada. they recently opened there first Jollibee, two weeks later there is still a two hour wait to get seated [no kidding] I had no belief the filipino community was so large

The first UK jollibee open in London recently and they que down the street but I've not heard a good thing about the food.

• Like 1
  • Love it 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Arizona Kid said:

Order online for delivery, double Big Mac is there also.:thumbsup:

Is that the one they deliver via ambulance? :hystery:

• Haha 2

Pinetree
Posted
Posted
On 9/17/2019 at 1:41 PM, Marvin Boggs said:

Hi all.  Am fortunate enough to have met a fantastic Filipina elsewhere in Asia, and to be happily married and living here for some time.  I can relate a few thoughts and observations for those who may be new, or wondering if the Philippines is for them.  

Weather -- if you are of reasonable fitness level, the climate here is manageable.  At times during the first year, and when we didn't have a car, I thought I would sweat to death.  Fortunately I came to SE Asia a few years before that.  These days, it is my Filipina wife complaining when are we going to get the air-con fixed in the car.

Travel -- Moving around the Philippines seems excruciatingly difficult, to someone who likes to drive and go places.  Yes the traffic is slow and screwed up most of the time.  Yes the signal lights are either nonexistent or not working.  Drivers are bad, signage is bad, the pump boats and ro-ro's are "an experience".  Understand that there is no sense complaining about it or hoping for change, this is an area where YOU have to change your expectation, or at least your tolerance level.  I can now drive to the office and back without blowing a gasket, but it took me a year to adjust.  

Service -- There are a lot of really great, really affordable services here that Westerners are not used to.  Laundry, same day or next-day for about 200 pesos.  People will stand in line for you and process your registrations and tickets for 20 pesos at the port.  On the other hand, there are professional services that I fear I will NEVER be able to find.  If you want car repairs done "right" with the proper tools, forget it.  Wiring repairs are scary as hell.  Visited a local machine shop today -- holy crap I can't even describe it.  Painting, carpentry, plumbing, etc, there are very few professionals here that you may be happy with. 

Hotels -- Outside of the metro areas, there are very few hotels that you could call 'international' standard.  But that is part of the charm.  We try new places, especially the little 'resorts' that are everywhere.  This has partly been an exercise in adjusting expectations, but also partly an adventure.  One tip I can pass along is, you better make sure you have your snacks or drinks that you'll need WITH YOU after the daytime activities shut down.  Unless you are in a city, there won't be a drink machine or even a little sari-sari booth after hours.  You're on your own until breakfast, or unless you want to drive to the nearest village.

Families -- Have heard a lot of stories and warnings.  Like with any extended family, you have to take the good with the bad.  Our approach has been to get involved as much as we need to, but live on a neighboring island.  Its just a few hours journey when we want to get together, which is about once per month.  There are 'needs' in the family for sure, but wife and I had a frank discussion about money and budgets before we ever got married, so as to limit the cash expenditures to a fixed amount every month.  Within that amount, she can decide how it is spent.  Its enough to afford new shoes for little sister, or new tires for dad's tricycle.  Family has not pressured us at all about things, and seem very cool with having a "Puti" for an in-law.

Dogs -- I still cannot get used to the dogs running around, barking at everything, with no behavioral training at all.  It must really bother me on some deeper level.  In China, by contrast, dogs are well behaved to the extreme.  Here, dogs are not really treated as loving pets, and that bothers me too.  You see a lot of them with diseases and whatnot.  IDK.  To me a dog is not the same as a pig, goat, or chicken.

Govt. Services -- They have a huge affinity for paper.  Always something stamped, signed, validated, etc.  Rather than be continually frustrated, just take the time to ask questions and list out every different office or agency you need to visit, to accomplish your particular objective.  Having a native speaking wife is a huge bonus.  It's like the US in the '70s.  They have computers here, but they like their paper.  They won't be fast, just get used to it.

Customer Service -- It will always be polite, and most always be slow.  For the life of me I don't know why restaurant people have to be called over to the table.  I don't know why ordering McNuggets and fries takes so long for each customer.  I like to think it is because they have not grown up in a 'hurry up' culture, so maybe there is something I can learn about slowing down.  

Taxis -- a good rule of thumb I follow is the worst drivers seem to have the worst cars.  It's not always true, but usually.  I'm picky about driving and I get pissed off when drivers are jerky on the clutch or have other uncomfortable habits like lugging the damn engine in third gear while crawling up a hill.  Whatever the safety standards are for taxis where you came from, I can almost guarantee those are not the standards here. Have been in some downright scary taxis, and some super-nice ones.  Choose wisely.

Business -- you may quickly find that most businesses do no have their own websites, or even domain names.  Most will get by with Facebook accounts and a yahoo address.  There is no yellow pages, and no way to look up what you want, so the networking system revolves around Facebook.  We were able to process needed papers, find a good tax accountant, and navigate the various surprises.  But there are a lot of under-the-radar businesses; a lot of employers paying under the table or not following the pay scales.  A lot of things run by family members of whoever is the local official, etc.  So yeah...if you plan to be in the Philippines running a business, you need to rethink some of the ways you may have done things before.  

That's it for now.  I may think of some more observations to add.

That sounds like Thailand. where I live now,  but with a much higher negativity rating.  Perhaps all those who are contemplating relocating to the PI, (including me) need to read this. Sobering, so thank you. 

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, Arizona Kid said:

A Burger King opened up about 6 months ago across the highway from Mcdo, I've been hardening my arteries lately with the Whopper with cheese! :tongue:

Unfortunately the Burger King in IT Park closed down. :mellow:

• Sad 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
51 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Unfortunately the Burger King in IT Park closed down. :mellow:

The one that opened here started out with fairly slow business, judging by the amount of cars in the parking lot and the line at the drive up window. Now it's getting pretty popular. :smile: