The Western Essentials

virginprune
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, Hobbit112 said:

The stuff here is brewed by San Mig in Manila.

Can you provide documentary evidence for that because I can't find that assertion anywhere. If that is the case I am surprised that it is priced as imported beer.

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, virginprune said:

Can you provide documentary evidence for that because I can't find that assertion anywhere. If that is the case I am surprised that it is priced as imported beer.

Looks like a recent development.

https://www.rappler.com/business/173495-asia-brewery-tiger-heineken-beer

MANILA, Philippines – Asia Brewery, the beverage arm of the Lucio Tan-led LT Group Incorporated (LT Group), will capitalize on its partnership with Heineken International by producing two of the latter's most popular beers in the country.

Asia Brewery signed a deal last year with Heineken International to form AB Heineken Philippines Incorporated. The deal allows it to distribute and brew Heineken brands, notably Tiger beer and Heineken itself, in the country.

"The partnership just started and it looks promising. We want to be a decent-sized player growing profitability. Right now we're still importing the beers but we will be brewing soon," said LT Group president Michael Tan following the company's annual stockholders' meeting on Tuesday, June 20.

"We'll start producing Tiger beer first this year and then later move on to producing Heineken locally which we are trying for this year also," he added.

The move is part of the firm's plans to establish itself in the premium beer space which it sees as ripe to enter. It is also a way for the company to boost its presence in the local beer market where it has a 5% share based on its own estimates.

While Tiger beer is positioned in the mass market, Asia Brewery currently has 3 brands it describes as premium – Heineken, its own Brew Kettle, and Asahi.

"We'd like to cater to different segments of the market. So far, our existing portfolio is in the mass market so we would like to make it more premium," Tan said.

"There's more disposable income right now so people would want to trade up. The premium segment is quite small and dominated by imported beers but even that is small, around less than 1%," he added.

The premium segment is described as beers priced between P40 and P50 at groceries. Asia Brewery figures the segment is still relatively within reach of majority of the populace, especially with the economy at an upturn.

"It's a pyramid – the volumes are small but the margins are higher. I think for the particular segment beer, it would be easier because the competition is not as fierce. The strong beers are in the lower segment," Tan noted.

LT to upgrade breweries, Eton, PNB

Tan also said the company is "spending probably more than P600 million to upgrade its breweries to be able to produce the beers" but declined to give the exact figures.

Asia Brewery has two breweries – one in Cabuyao, Laguna, and one in El Salvador, Misamis Oriental.

Together, they can produce 4 million hectoliters, but only 25%-30% of capacity or just 1 million hectoliters is currently being produced. A hectoliter is equivalent to 100 liters.

The investments will be spent on retooling the production line in these facilities to produce both Tiger and Heineken.

The investment is part of the LT Group's larger plan to spend around P10 billion this year, P3 billion more than the P7 billion it spent in 2016.

Around P5 billion of the P10 billion will go to the group's real estate arm, Eton Properties. Eton has partnered with Ayala Land for a 35-hectare mixed-use township along C5.

Another P2 billion to P3 billion is earmarked for the group's banking arm, Philippine National Bank (PNB), to upgrade its IT and electronic systems. The bank is focusing on developing its digital strategy, which comes amid the recent system glitches of its rivals.

LT Group recorded an attributable net income of P9.39 billion in 2016, 42% more than the P6.6 billion in 2015.

PNB registered the largest share of the income with P3.42 billion or 36%, followed by the group's tobacco arm Philip Morris Fortune Tobacco Corporation with P2.58 billion or 27%.

Asia Brewery contributed 19% of the group's income at P1.75 billion, while Tanduay contributed P908 billion or 10%.

The remainder came from Eton at P388 billion or 4% and Victorias Milling Company with P142 million

• Thanks 2

Hobbit112
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, virginprune said:

Read the label, it's there.  I also thought it tasted similar to San Mig so not worth the cost.

• Like 2

Gary D
Posted
Posted

That's the first time I've heard Heineken called a premium beer, I always thought it was just a mass produced chemical beer.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
On 9/21/2019 at 11:05 PM, jimeve said:

Got a case of Tiger beer black, 7% proof 350 pesos.

How was it? They've been promoting it in SM and selling it at a cheap price but I'm not a fan of Tiger anyway and I tried one of the variations a few months ago and didn't like it so I'm interested how it compares to Red Horse for example. 

jimeve
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, hk blues said:

How was it? They've been promoting it in SM and selling it at a cheap price but I'm not a fan of Tiger anyway and I tried one of the variations a few months ago and didn't like it so I'm interested how it compares to Red Horse for example. 

Not opened those yet, but tried some smaller bottles from the mall. Taste better than red horse a little sweeter, same strength. 

• Thanks 1

"P2"
Posted
Posted

The real question is now that it is close to October, can you get any good Oktoberfest beers in the Philippines like Spaten Oktoberfest,  Pauliner Salvator or Ayinger ? 

• Haha 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, "P2" said:

The real question is now that it is close to October, can you get any good Oktoberfest beers in the Philippines like Spaten Oktoberfest,  Pauliner Salvator or Ayinger ? 

Actually, you can...

Here in Davao there is a place that sells German beers - Swiss Deli. I know that they get at least some of their goods from Manila. There are lots of Germans here in Phlippines (remember that Germans were early on colonists here) and I have seen ads on TV about a German club hosting some sort of Oktoberfest in Manila too....

So, yes... there are a number of places where you can get German beers... How good are they after travelling half-way around the world? I have no idea... Please let us know?

John Chamberlain
Posted
Posted

Hi Guys, I have not been on here for a while, I am now moving to PH in November, I am deffo bringing 4 Kgs of home cured bacon for a delux breakfast now & then, otherwise I will hope to manage with whats in the local super markets. I'm not a fussy eater but I do like my bacon !! I also want to get a couple of nice dogs, I hope I can find a Great Dane as I have had Danes before and they are such gentle giants, very good for security, well living out in the country in the UK we never had any problems with Gypsies stealing from our property like some of my neighbours did

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, John Chamberlain said:

I am now moving to PH in November, I am deffo bringing 4 Kgs of home cured bacon for a delux breakfast now & then,

A number of countries now have pork import bans, here in the Philippines.  If you are concerned about losing you bacon at customs I would check before coming

example:  https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-07-19/philippines-bans-german-pork-to-prevent-spread-of-pig-virus