The Western Essentials

John Chamberlain
Posted
Posted

Hi Dave, thanks for the link, I will check it out.

John Chamberlain
Posted
Posted
On 9/23/2019 at 7:20 AM, Gary D said:

That's the first time I've heard Heineken called a premium beer, I always thought it was just a mass produced chemical beer.

I have only seen San Mig so far and would love to find good beer at a sensible price, I love Red Horse but it gives you a such a bad head the next day haha

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Hi John. Good to see ya here again.

I looked at bringing some frozen beef to Philippines and viewed the RP customs guidelines that require approval from department of agriculture. It was more trouble than I wanted to deal with. A simple search at Philippines Customs will provide the information you need. Good luck 

virginprune
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, John Chamberlain said:

Hi Guys, I have not been on here for a while, I am now moving to PH in November, I am deffo bringing 4 Kgs of home cured bacon for a delux breakfast now & then, otherwise I will hope to manage with whats in the local super markets. I'm not a fussy eater but I do like my bacon !! I also want to get a couple of nice dogs, I hope I can find a Great Dane as I have had Danes before and they are such gentle giants, very good for security, well living out in the country in the UK we never had any problems with Gypsies stealing from our property like some of my neighbours did

As others have pointed out customs may be an issue.

Why not buy the pig/pork here and make the bacon then? It seems you already have the expertise so just bring the brining you require.

A friend here, from Yorkshire, makes his own bacon, hams and sausages which are all delicious especially on his homemade bread :smile:

Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted

We have been buying a bacon called Black Label from S&R.  It's definitely cured, although my taste buds might be so desperate for real bacon they could be deceiving me :)  Wife and I both love it.  

Gary D
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Marvin Boggs said:

We have been buying a bacon called Black Label from S&R.  It's definitely cured, although my taste buds might be so desperate for real bacon they could be deceiving me :)  Wife and I both love it.  

All our local supermarkets sell bacon in the freezer department. Tends to be maple flavoured. Not found just plain or smoked yet.

Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted

Our local market sells something they call bacon, but it just tastes like ham strips

• Like 1

John Chamberlain
Posted
Posted

Hi, I have had a look before but its all been as you say or cut too thin, once I have eaten all I take from the UK I hope I will have found some where who can supply something like I am used to !! I don't want to have to grow my own pigs & cure bacon from them, I have enough new projects going on as it is.

John Chamberlain
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, virginprune said:

As others have pointed out customs may be an issue.

Why not buy the pig/pork here and make the bacon then? It seems you already have the expertise so just bring the brining you require.

A friend here, from Yorkshire, makes his own bacon, hams and sausages which are all delicious especially on his homemade bread :smile:

Hi & thanks, If the worst comes to the worst I may have to devise a method of home cure and yes the taste is to die for I agree. 

John Chamberlain
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, Old55 said:

Hi John. Good to see ya here again.

I looked at bringing some frozen beef to Philippines and viewed the RP customs guidelines that require approval from department of agriculture. It was more trouble than I wanted to deal with. A simple search at Philippines Customs will provide the information you need. Good luck 

Hi and I think I will see what customs have to say, if its complicated I will just have to find some where in PH or cure my own when I am over there in November, I have a number of projects going on out there, so I was not wanting another one curing Pork haha

• Haha 1