The Western Essentials

John Chamberlain
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, virginprune said:

As others have pointed out customs may be an issue.

Why not buy the pig/pork here and make the bacon then? It seems you already have the expertise so just bring the brining you require.

A friend here, from Yorkshire, makes his own bacon, hams and sausages which are all delicious especially on his homemade bread :smile:

I wish you were not so far away because I would love to meet your friend to see what he does to get such a good result :smile::smile:

Gary D
Posted
Posted

Good bacon must be available somewhere,  we bad a full English breakfast at Vasco's in Subic last week and the bacon was just like UK bacon.

• Like 2

Hobbit112
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Gary D said:

Good bacon must be available somewhere,  we bad a full English breakfast at Vasco's in Subic last week and the bacon was just like UK bacon.

Outside of the imported brands like you can find in S&R and some other places, the CDO brand regular smoked bacon isn't bad.  Thin sliced it is true and don't buy the Maple cured stuff, it burns too quickly in the pan!

I have cured my own bacon in the US and it wasn't hard.  I used a spice mix/kit from Cabela's (now owned by Bass Pro) which you may be able to get online.  Used a pork shoulder and took 10 days in the fridge.  Absolutely delicious.

On another note, I am making my own American Style breakfast sausage.  Copycat recipes are available online and you can get meat grinders cheaply, the only issue is sourcing the spices which I have been successful at both locally and on Lazada. 

• Like 4

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Hobbit112 said:

CDO brand regular smoked bacon isn't bad.  Thin sliced it is true

You can find thick sliced CDO regular smoked bacon. I prefer it because it does not have that cloying sweet maple taste. The local SM supermarkets carry it almost always. And it's available in small packages and big ones. Great alone, on burgers, in omelettes - I think it is very good.

John Chamberlain
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

You can find thick sliced CDO regular smoked bacon. I prefer it because it does not have that cloying sweet maple taste. The local SM supermarkets carry it almost always. And it's available in small packages and big ones. Great alone, on burgers, in omelettes - I think it is very good.

10 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Hi Tommy, Thanks for the info, I will have a look in SM, it will be great if they have what I am looking for thank you.

• Thanks 1

John Chamberlain
Posted
Posted
On 10/1/2019 at 9:32 PM, Hobbit112 said:

Outside of the imported brands like you can find in S&R and some other places, the CDO brand regular smoked bacon isn't bad.  Thin sliced it is true and don't buy the Maple cured stuff, it burns too quickly in the pan!

I have cured my own bacon in the US and it wasn't hard.  I used a spice mix/kit from Cabela's (now owned by Bass Pro) which you may be able to get online.  Used a pork shoulder and took 10 days in the fridge.  Absolutely delicious.

On another note, I am making my own American Style breakfast sausage.  Copycat recipes are available online and you can get meat grinders cheaply, the only issue is sourcing the spices which I have been successful at both locally and on Lazada. 

When I have time I want to look into both breeding pigs and doing cured bacon, ham and sausages, I was talking to a friend recently and he made the point that you need to sort a market place out for your pork as a friend of his had no problem breeding pigs but found it so difficult to sell them in quantity !!

• 1 month later...
earthdome
Posted
Posted
On 9/18/2019 at 11:54 AM, OnMyWay said:

I'm on a keto diet so I'm eating a lot of eggs, meat and cheese.  Royal has a good selection of cheeses.

How is your keto diet going? I have some family members who are doing keto along with increasing their physical activity. It is working well for them. Except one who shed the pounds too fast and ended up in the hospital for gallbladder surgery.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
17 minutes ago, earthdome said:

How is your keto diet going? I have some family members who are doing keto along with increasing their physical activity. It is working well for them. Except one who shed the pounds too fast and ended up in the hospital for gallbladder surgery.

Just ok.  Actually I have done similar diets in the past with a lot of success.  Of course, the fact that I am repeating it again says something about me!  I have lost about 8 kilos but that is the same as I lost in the first 4 weeks.

This time there have been two issues.  One, it is hard to do aerobic exercise because my hip and knee have really bothered me.  I had some ideas to help this, but then, Two happened.  I got sick with a mild flu for a few days, but the coughing went on forever.  Some others mentioned that is a problem here for them too.

Strangely, one of the exercises I thought would be good seemed to end up hurting me.  A few weeks back we went to the beach, and I swam and snorkeled quite a bit.  For the next two weeks, my knee was killing me!  Better now.

So I am back on track this week with a goal to lose another 8 kg before we leave for New Zealand in a month.

earthdome
Posted
Posted
22 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Just ok.  Actually I have done similar diets in the past with a lot of success.  Of course, the fact that I am repeating it again says something about me!  I have lost about 8 kilos but that is the same as I lost in the first 4 weeks.

This time there have been two issues.  One, it is hard to do aerobic exercise because my hip and knee have really bothered me.  I had some ideas to help this, but then, Two happened.  I got sick with a mild flu for a few days, but the coughing went on forever.  Some others mentioned that is a problem here for them too.

Strangely, one of the exercises I thought would be good seemed to end up hurting me.  A few weeks back we went to the beach, and I swam and snorkeled quite a bit.  For the next two weeks, my knee was killing me!  Better now.

So I am back on track this week with a goal to lose another 8 kg before we leave for New Zealand in a month.

Losing some weight might help a bit with your hip and knee. Hope those get on the mend for you while you shed the pounds.

jimeve
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 11/12/2019 at 10:33 PM, OnMyWay said:

That happened to me but once the pain has gone you need to build the muscle up around the knees to support the weight. And lose some weight too. Easier said than done.

Swimmer's Knee - Swimming Injuries - Medic8 

Edited by jimeve
More infomation.
  • Hmm thinking 1