Food

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Old55 said:

Dried pinto beans at S&R as well?

I haven't seen them there. The old Victoria Mall grocery store might have had them here, but I never really looked. Now it is NCCC, so forget it...

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
On 9/23/2019 at 6:39 AM, Tommy T. said:

I would have gladly traded my burrito for your steak dinner - if for no other reason than to have that real sour cream!!! I hope you breathed between bites to avoid possible choking hazard?:56da64a571a25_7_4_171:

Boy do I hear you!  I have not had a good steak in over six years. :sad:

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Old55 said:

Tommy, not to go too far off topic. You can  make sour cream at home. It’s not difficult  to make and is delicious.  

We had this topic before but it dropped... I have just been buying the Nestle so-called "sour cream" which is exactly that - sour cream. But both L and I prefer the thickened type as found in USA, Australia, NZ, etc., that is heavier and thicker. Interestingly, some of what we buy here is like that - maybe two containers out of 20?

I used to make it using plain yogurt and letting it drain for a while in a very fine sieve. Then the consistency would be about right. Then I would add a bit of maple syrup to adjust the taste to about right...

Please share your method? I think anything about food seems fair in this thread?

Clermont
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:
14 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

You are just a bit weird... like me

what can I sayWho knows (dave.jpg :lipssealed_80_anim_gif:

Well boys, that's weird, Jack holding his tongue from commenting on over commenting, :hystery: be careful boys the post could be contagious and yous could end up not commenting on everything. :hystery:

• Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

Carefully clean and sterilize a glass jar and lid.

Add three cups of quality heavy cream. Not the flavored type just cream. Then mix in five table spoons of cultured buttermilk.

Cover with a paper towel or cloth and let sit for about 24 hours at 70 - 80 deg. Done!

Quality ingredients will make a difference you can taste. The sour cream will taste different than store bought more subtle, it's buttery smooth and not too sour.

Edit, I forgot you clearly said you and your wife like it thick. This is not like yogurt thick it's smoother. 

Edited by Old55
update
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
26 minutes ago, Old55 said:

Add three cups of quality heavy cream. Not the flavored type just cream. Then mix in five table spoons of cultured buttermilk.

This sounds wonderful, Old... But where do I find cultured buttermilk in Philippines?

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

This sounds wonderful, Old... But where do I find cultured buttermilk in Philippines?

I don't know if it's available in your location. I've seen it in Cebu City because we buy milk for my boys and I made buttermilk biscuits recently. I think it was from Hong Kong oddly enough. 

• Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Old55 said:

I don't know if it's available in your location. I've seen it in Cebu City because we buy milk for my boys and I made buttermilk biscuits recently. I think it was from Hong Kong oddly enough. 

Thanks... I will look for it next time out shopping... Appreciate the tip!

roddavis
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Old55 said:

S&R had a pint size in the dairy glass last week. Bought the litter sour cream and it was great!

• Like 1

roddavis
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Mike J said:

Boy do I hear you!  I have not had a good steak in over six years. :sad:

I found USDA  steak at Bel Chris in Cebu. Has about 5 stores from Minglanila to outside IT Park in Cebu. The steaks sometimes comes individual wrapped frozen, but the best deal is to by, rib roast or sirloin roast by the lbs/Kg around 10-15 lbs some even larger. just cut the size you need from the large piece and freeze the rest. I like thick steak 1-1 1/2" and grilled on the BBQ with baked potatoe with thich sour cream found at S&R....ultmate yummmmmmmmmmm!

• Love it 2