New Regulation in Manila - Could This Really Be True?

BC57
Posted
Posted
On 9/22/2019 at 11:26 AM, graham59 said:

When Filipinos are educated to CARE about (not) throwing every piece of litter and general crap on the ground next to them,  and punished when are found doing so, NOTHING is going to change.  All else is mere 'window-dressing'. 

The filth and garbage covering the country is an absolute disgrace, and hardly likely to impress any potential tourists...an industry that could truly rescue the Philippines from poverty. 

Not many middle-class tourists want to sit on a beach strewn with rubbish, while watching mangy dogs sitting around scratching or defecating.    

Your post hits the issues right on the head. You would think that any government would want a clean country concerning the garbage, etc..................... but not here. They may have tried to clean the Manila Bay but what about the rest of the country. The government is really missing point on not cleaning up their country. Look what happened with Boracay, the business owners trashed their own island so the President had to close it down until it was cleaned up.🙁

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
On 9/22/2019 at 11:26 AM, graham59 said:

When Filipinos are educated to CARE about (not) throwing every piece of litter and general crap on the ground next to them,  and punished when are found doing so, NOTHING is going to change.  All else is mere 'window-dressing'. 

The filth and garbage covering the country is an absolute disgrace, and hardly likely to impress any potential tourists...an industry that could truly rescue the Philippines from poverty. 

Not many middle-class tourists want to sit on a beach strewn with rubbish, while watching mangy dogs sitting around scratching or defecating.    

Ah... Graham... you forgot to mention the poop filled diapers left on the beaches along with the rest of the detritus.

Yesterday I watched a girl (maybe 18 years old?) just toss her empty water bottle aside on the road... Out of sight, out of mind...

• Like 2

graham59
Posted
Posted

Yes, they toss the used diapers over the small bridge next to our property, and the used plastic bottles on to our 'frontage'.

Evidently not wishing to add to the usual  ***t  carpeting their own surroundings.  :rolleyes:

There is no basura collection service in these country areas of course, which doesn't help matters. 

Having said that, I remember when I lived in a city in Luzon at one time, seeing the boys who'd come round collecting basura, house to house... dumping it on a vacant lot a few hundred yards up the road. :no:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

I have a working student who will dispose of - at least my own - rubbish responsibly... or at least as responsibly as possible... The next door neighbour seems to be a jerk engineer with the city and has dumped at least some of his rubbish on my property in the past...

If necessary, I may just dump some of it back onto his property, unless that may cause a war here... I will have to check with L about that - she is so good with inter-relations...

• Like 2

expatuk2014
Posted
Posted

Here in Los Banos the local gov are telling residents to dig up any plants that are in the road area, and in some places the local gov have workers going around digging up the plants ! And they are also enforcing local by laws regarding trees growing over the power lines ! There is also a rumour that the dog catchers will be on patrol ! The last time this happened there were no dogs roaming around the road for the dog catchers to see funny that !

• Like 2

graham59
Posted
Posted

Up here the power company guys come round regularly to trim any trees, bamboo , etc,  overhanging their lines.

Good , because I would rather like to have the power and broadband fiber lines kept in working order ! :thumbsup:

• Like 3

Yeochief
Posted
Posted

Olivia has been showing me YouTube that the Mayor of Manila set up called Iskodomagoso.  The progress looks good.   

• Like 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Yeochief said:

Olivia has been showing me YouTube that the Mayor of Manila set up called Iskodomagoso.  The progress looks good.   

That's just manila city, what about the other 15 cities that make up metro manila. I guess a small start is better than nothing.

• Haha 1
  • Hmm thinking 1