Customer service or not

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
24 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

If they follow me around, like a dog, I just turn to them and say firmly, "Sit.  Stay.".  :hystery:

Try..."play dead..." Judging from some of the attitudes and behaviour, that should be second nature?:tiphat:

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
On 10/22/2019 at 9:54 AM, OnMyWay said:

If they follow me around, like a dog, I just turn to them and say firmly, "Sit.  Stay.".  :hystery:

That is so irritating when they do that. Wilcon for example just won't let you browse peacefully. I hate looking around for stuff when someone is following me around. :huh:

• Like 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, Arizona Kid said:

That is so irritating when they do that. Wilcon for example just won't let you browse peacefully. I hate looking around for stuff when someone is following me around. :huh:

I usually say if I need your help I will ask as I want to compare things and that is not easy when eyes are burning holes in the back of my head.

• Like 2

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, sonjack2847 said:

I usually say if I need your help I will ask as I want to compare things and that is not easy when eyes are burning holes in the back of my head.

Sometimes I would like to say something like that. Just trying to not hurt their feelings. :smile:

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Arizona Kid said:

Sometimes I would like to say something like that. Just trying to not hurt their feelings. :smile:

Actually, AK, I have found that much of the time, if I tell them that I am just looking, they tend to leave me alone. Sometimes I can be nice...

There is also this practice where waiters/waitresses will stand by our table as soon as we sit down and wait for us to give them our food orders. It drives L and me nuts to have someone standing there waiting. So we will sometimes ask for them to bring us some water, or fruit shakes or something else. And sometimes we politely ask them to just give us some time to read the menu and think about our order and they usually give us the time and space. Maybe we are helping to train them?

At least they don't do what I really hate in USA - it seems like, after the food has been served and we are maybe 1/3 through the meal and a waiter/waitress will stop by and ask, "And how's your meal?" They are, of course, being polite and doing what they should, I guess... But it always seems to happen when I have a mouth full of food - so I feel like spewing the food out onto the table and blurting, "Oh... I think it's wonderful!":hystery:

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Tommy T. said:

Actually, AK, I have found that much of the time, if I tell them that I am just looking, they tend to leave me alone. Sometimes I can be nice...

There is also this practice where waiters/waitresses will stand by our table as soon as we sit down and wait for us to give them our food orders. It drives L and me nuts to have someone standing there waiting. So we will sometimes ask for them to bring us some water, or fruit shakes or something else. And sometimes we politely ask them to just give us some time to read the menu and think about our order and they usually give us the time and space. Maybe we are helping to train them?

At least they don't do what I really hate in USA - it seems like, after the food has been served and we are maybe 1/3 through the meal and a waiter/waitress will stop by and ask, "And how's your meal?" They are, of course, being polite and doing what they should, I guess... But it always seems to happen when I have a mouth full of food - so I feel like spewing the food out onto the table and blurting, "Oh... I think it's wonderful!":hystery:

Probably one of the issues is that some prefer fawning staff as it makes them feel important whilst others (most of us here in the forum I'd bet) prefer to be left alone and will ask for help when we need it. Perhaps staff are genuinely perplexed when faced with us western folks as they don't know what to do.

• Like 3
  • Love it 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Probably one of the issues is that some prefer fawning staff as it makes them feel important whilst others (most of us here in the forum I'd bet) prefer to be left alone and will ask for help when we need it. Perhaps staff are genuinely perplexed when faced with us western folks as they don't know what to do.

The norm here is definitely standing at the table to wait for the order... L and I are just "different." But when we want service, we ask or wave politely for it and they fall all over themselves to come over and finally take our orders...

Reminds me of the movie "Pretty Woman." "More sucking up..."

• Hmm thinking 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Reminds me of the movie "Pretty Woman." "More sucking up..."

Well, we are but guests in their country so I guess suck it up is about all we can do, Tom!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Mick
Posted
Posted

Sort of on the same subject, one thing that p's me off is when they bring the main meal with the starters, I always tell them to take the main away until we are ready, then if it comes back cold if gets sent back again, the wife hates me doing it, so now I have to make a point to them not to serve the main until we have finished the starters, does not always work, and they seem confused as to why. 

• Like 1