Food and Restaurants in Davao

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted
39 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

The manager there is a very strange little man

Oh, I've been calling him the owner. Maybe he's both? Why do you dislike him? Message me if you want.

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
On 12/5/2019 at 12:41 PM, JDDavao said:

I'm so happy they do not use lauric oil to fry in at the SD. It's the cheaper option and is used extensively here but it adds a flavor to fried foods that I do not like.

I agree with you about that. I really like the Jollibee Chickenjoy...EXCEPT... that they cook it in coconut oil and I don't like that taste much either. Some days it tastes stronger than others. If we order the spicy seasoning, a lot of that taste is covered up.

We used to buy S & R's fried chicken, but the chicken tasted like it was fried in old oil two or three times in a row, so we both gave up on that. By the way, I picked up a few slices of the combo pizza there last week also and - as many times - the toppings were heavy on some parts and non-existent on others. But at least their tasty sauce seemed to evenly spread. They just are having problems with quality control and consistency with their usually tasty dishes.

We ate out at Davao Famous (almost next door to Swiss Deli) three days ago and it was good - and there was a parking space right in front!!

We also ate out at Cafe Tavera near City High School on Torres Street. The food was good but we ordered a bad combination... They make a really tasty wing-bean, coconut cream, mushroom and ground pork dish that we love. Beans are super crispy and they seem to use fresh coconut for the cream - according to my food expert, L. We also had beef caldereta. It was way too salty and also sweet with pineapple. The combination of those two dishes did not sit well with our stomachs - too rich, we think. We were feeling very full very quickly. That cafe cooks fish perfectly every time, but our budget that day was a bit thin. Now I wish we had splurged on the fish and passed on the caldereta. But most of their food is really good. It is our favourite restaurant besides Coco's...

Having said all that, L always prefers Tommy T's home cooked meals. I just get tired some days and don't want to cook always... I made a chicken adobo last week that she said was passable as basic Filipino adobo. Next time I will try to enhance it to the next level.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
bastonjock
Posted
Posted

Had lunch at naney bebengs today, it's a 400 Peso a head buffet 

Best roast beef and creme caramel in davao 

Malvar street in davao

• Thanks 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

Really? Thanks for the tip.

Which part of Davao is that? Is it a true restaurant? It must cater to foreigners if it serves roast beef - which L and I both love.

bastonjock
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Really? Thanks for the tip.

Which part of Davao is that? Is it a true restaurant? It must cater to foreigners if it serves roast beef - which L and I both love.

It's in malvar street , I'm not sure which area but it was quite central 

The restaurant was very busy ,its quality of food reflected in its patronage 

• Thanks 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, bastonjock said:

The restaurant was very busy ,its quality of food reflected in its patronage 

:89: Ever tried to get into a Jollibee or chowking at 11.30ish each day & that food is not Quality, sorry BJ But.................:whistling:

• Like 2

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

:89: Ever tried to get into a Jollibee or chowking at 11.30ish each day & that food is not Quality, sorry BJ But.................:whistling:

My wife and I tried an Indian resto down near the BI. Neither of us liked it. I said, "But look at all of the Indian students eating here!" M said, "Maybe their mothers were lousy cooks!" :hystery:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted

Dipping slightly south for this report: We went with friends to Camp Sabros near Digos City for an overnighter Sunday-Monday. On the way and on the return, we had lunch at Mer's in Digos. It's right on the main highway.

It's a caferteria-type resto with a nice selection of dishes that are not always the same. On the way in I had pork bagoong,  afritada, lumpia shanghai, chicken strips, and a tinola that was all broth with mulunggay. On the way out I had pork giniling, monggo with fish rather than pork, a really nice bicol express, and the tinola broth with malunggay.

The food was all quite good but we found a baby cockroach in the container of pasabulong ube halaya cookies we bought from their store. :ohmy:

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

That sounds good...mostly. At least that cockroach was free, right? I had cockroaches wandering over foods in many island countries I have visited. They surely are disgusting, but after a while I sort of just accepted that they were a part of living in these places... However, I always made sure to exterminate them on the yacht - that was not cool to have them there...

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
On 1/24/2020 at 12:33 PM, bastonjock said:

Had lunch at naney bebengs today, it's a 400 Peso a head buffet 

I mentioned this restaurant to L and she says she knows it well and that it does offer good food at reasonable prices. So we intend to go there soon for a lunch or dinner.

• Like 1