Drinks with ice, yes... no ?

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Well it's often said do not have a drink with ice in it which may be good advice but I see now why this might be true in some cases.

The other night I said to the bar supervisor that some beers are cold and some not.  He says that because of late delivery not all were in freezer early but will fix it for Sir Toms drinks.

Yes he did and behind the counter is an icebox which they use for ice in drinks and there he put 3 San Migs.

So who knows how many people have handled those bottles, whether rats have peed on them or whatever and not to forget dust etc but straight into the same ice they serve others in their drinks. 

:shock_40_anim_gif:

• Like 5
  • Sad 2
  • Hmm thinking 3

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

If I can I avoid ice in my drinks while visiting Philippines I will. If I can’t I try not to stress out over it. :cheersty:

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
14 minutes ago, Old55 said:

If I can I avoid ice in my drinks while visiting Philippines I will. 

Agreed.  It makes the beer taste watered down.

• Like 4

stevewool
Posted
Posted
22 minutes ago, Old55 said:

If I can’t I try not to stress out over it. :cheersty:

That’s the way to do it.:thumbsup:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

A lot of places will serve cold bottles with a small tissue (cutlery also).

I’m not sure how effective that is but I go with what the locals do and wipe the mouth of the bottle before drinking *shrug*.

• Like 3

Hobbit112
Posted
Posted
35 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

A lot of places will serve cold bottles with a small tissue (cutlery also).

I’m not sure how effective that is but I go with what the locals do and wipe the mouth of the bottle before drinking *shrug*.

The tissue on the bottles is so you can wipe the rust off the lip before you drink from it.  The bottle caps here have a tendency to rust.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, GeoffH said:

25 minutes ago, Hobbit112 said:

The tissue on the bottles is so you can wipe the rust off the lip before you drink from it.  The bottle caps here have a tendency to rust.

5 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

So who knows how many people have handled those bottles, whether rats have peed on them or whatever and not to forget dust etc but straight into the same ice they serve others in their drinks. 

In Mexico, the open back beer trucks - just like here - delivered it and drove down many dusty roads in the process. One of the first things I was told was always wipe the top of the beer after opening. I am not proud, so I use the inside of my T-shirt sometimes when L isn't looking. I know it's cleaner than that bottle and possibly cleaner than that itty-bitty scrap of tissue (when supplied). Oh... and don't forget soft drink bottles and to wipe the top of any canned beverage too!

I will have ice in a drink if it's a clean establishment. But you never know how clean the ice machine might be. L and I drink service water also in some restaurants with or without ice.

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 1

Howard
Posted
Posted

I go to a local Sari Sari store for my bottled beer. Sometimes they are not cold and the guy will start filling from the ice bucket too. I always tell him it's OK and I'll try the other store to see if they have cold ones. I actually have come to like drinking beer with ice in it since I came here but I won't use the ice from the ice chest and I won't use tube ice either because it's tap water and I will get a stomach ache and the shits. In Manila they sell ice made from mineral water it's always a circle shape and hollow in the center. I will use that or 7 11 ice,  but nothing else.

• Like 1
  • Love it 1

expatuk2014
Posted
Posted

I make my  own ice cubes from empty and washed plastic egg trays 3 times  makes 72 round ice circles perfect for my glass of southern comfort or Jack Daniels !

And i use distilled water only. I only drink bottled water or coke etc when we travel

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1