Coming to a McD near you!

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
20 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

It only excepts PayMaya, which seem to be getting popular.

20190922_131404.jpg

As an add on, the whole time we sat in McD, I did not see anyone order with it.  The security guard directed a few people towards it, but they passed.  It only takes PayMaya.  I hope it fails.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted

Maybe if I used this, I would not have to wait 20 minutes in line for the customers ahead of me ...

Had a bad experience 3 years ago in Newark airport with these.  Every restaurant had these machines, and it was the only ordering option available.  There was some kind of issue where it could not process my card, so I was SOL.  3 different restaurants, same story.  Had 45 minutes to kill and still did not get to eat anything before getting on the plane.  Sucked. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, RBM said:

This I agree with how ever slowly an surely it's the future. Was surprised in Christchurch  last year most supermarkets self check out, takes some getting used to

I agree with some of the previous comments here and with yours totally. I don't like the trend either...BUT, as you said, RBM, this is the way of the future. The question is how far into the future? No cash, only cell phones and cards or microchips embedded in your hand? So I - very grudgingly - try to adapt. Last visit to Seattle and sometimes the electronic checkout avoided longer and slower cashier lines - no delaying talk talk (imagine that here? No talk talk about relatives, pets, etc. with cashiers by Filipinos?:shock_40_anim_gif:) And as mentioned in a previous post, there were always one or two helpers for us old fogeys who had a bit of trouble...

Slightly off topic, but related and illustrative here... How about last time anyone who is American citizen arrived in the first US airport and cleared customs and immigration? At least in San Francisco, the immigration is automated and the lines move quickly - much better than dealing with human agents... unless you have a problem - then you are back to slow and manual processing. And they have at least a couple of helpers to guide you and assist to keep things moving - it was impressive.

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 1
  • Love it 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, Marvin Boggs said:

Maybe if I used this, I would not have to wait 20 minutes in line for the customers ahead of me ...

Well Mc doos near me in the IT park can be very busy and waiting was an issue until recently. Now a cashier takes the order  and you wait out of the queue and on the screen your number is shown as well as progess of orders so you go to the pick up counter and pick it up. 

Quick and easy now. Not sure if all Mc Doos are changing. 

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Quick and easy now. Not sure if all Mc Doos are changing. 

Same at the McDonald in Moalboal.  I don't eat there often so not sure to what extent it has improved the work flow or wait time.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Jack D
Posted
Posted
On 9/22/2019 at 6:48 PM, Jack D said:

I refuse to use this technology! Maybe I’m just too old school?

I changed my mind and used this new tech, but not at McD's. I used it to order food at Costco, and it was easier and much faster than ordering food from one of their workers.

• Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)

They have been using similar units in Australia for a couple of years now.  Initially there were only a few trial sites but they've been rolled out to basically every store now.  The follow up trend is reducing the number of registers on the front counter.  My Daughter in Austraia (who is still studying and works at McDonalds to help her budget) says that her store still has basically the same number of employees but there are more people preparing food and less people serving so they get more meals made quicker which has been used to increase store volume.  It might lead to smaller staff numbers at less busy stores where they weren't running at or near capacity before the change though.

It does mean less waiting in lines (which I know a lot of people don't like).  Use the machine to make an order, take a display number from next to the machine (for eat in), go to the table and wait for table service.

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
On 9/23/2019 at 10:27 AM, OnMyWay said:

As an add on, the whole time we sat in McD, I did not see anyone order with it.  The security guard directed a few people towards it, but they passed.  It only takes PayMaya.  I hope it fails.

PayMaya is competing with Gcash. Mark my words later. PayMaya offers a plastic debit type card to use after you load it. Filipinos will love it!:laugh:

• Like 2

Guy F.
Posted
Posted

When all the jobs are automated, who will have money to buy anything?

• Haha 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

bastonjock
Posted
Posted

Employment has been changing over the centuries , the first rebellion against machines taking jobs as far as I can remember was by a group called the Luddites , even over the last century there has been huge upheaval in employment , there used to be a lot of people employed by farms , these days I know one farmer who farms 1500 acres of arable land with just two employees and some expensive machinery

I quite often see a new protoype gadget being trialled by  Amazon in an English town called Milton Keynes , its a small grey box on wheels with an antenna and a flashing light , they are trying to cut out the delivery driver , this thing just trundles along quite happily following it program

its going to end up one day like a sci fi movie where the many are all on government handouts and the top 5 % are super rich

• Like 1