What's the best rated vehicles?

Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted

For those on a budget, the marketplace on Facebook is by far the most populated with cars for sale, compared to say olx.com (carousel).  As noted, Toyotas are very common but there are plenty of good deals on Suzukis and Nissans also.  Mitsubishis seem to be here in abundance, and Kia is a pretty decent choice.  

To each his own on which type of vehicle to buy, but from my experience, driving here can be scary as hell.  In choked metro traffic, better think twice about that big Patrol, or Fortuner, or Everest, which will be too fat to maneuver and park.  Similarly, the tiny cars while cute and maneuverable, are too short to see around traffic.  Wife was really keen on getting a Chevy Spark until we got out into traffic with it on a test drive.  We stick to the taller little trucky-van things, which are easy to park and see out of.  Again, to each his own.  Most people on here probably have a much bigger budget than I.  

Cool ICE-Philippines
Posted
Posted

That's nice,,, I think the Innova or the Mitsubishi Montero suv would be a preference,,, but am not a fan for old time manual moves,,,hehehe,,, whatbi wanted to know is that, are the parts available for repairs from dealers or private auto parts stores if any???

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
On 9/24/2019 at 12:51 AM, Cool ICE-Philippines said:

I've seen vehicles cost in the Phillies, but dont know the engine types and best rated vehicles for their value,,, is the diesel engine best for your value or longevity of the vehicle?, or the regular petro?, what do I need to look into regarding buying the vehicle that's not going to break down in me every month???,,,

After I sold my Wrangler I bought a 1994 Honda Accord. I think it was 2008 when I bought it. Every month, or so it seemed something need to be fixed. I had a really good mechanic that I'm still friends with to this day. 2 transmission replacements. Let my bro in law borrow it once and he overheated it so had to get the whole engine taken apart to smooth the heads down or something like that. It would never restart while the engine was hot after that. In 2017 I bought a new Chevy Sail. Life is good. If you can afford to buy new, I would recommend it. If not, at least get something less than 5 yrs old. Good luck.:cheers:

• Like 1

Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Cool ICE-Philippines said:

That's nice,,, I think the Innova or the Mitsubishi Montero suv would be a preference,,, but am not a fan for old time manual moves,,,hehehe,,, whatbi wanted to know is that, are the parts available for repairs from dealers or private auto parts stores if any???

Any of the Japanese or Korean brands mentioned so far seem readily fixable, with parts available and local know-how to fix them.  I use the word 'fix' loosely, as sometimes the repairs may not be what you are used to.  Also, I've found with any of the mechanics and shops, you really need to probe deeper and get some clarity.  There is often a cheaper band-aid fix that they are recommending to you, because that's what 95% of the customers want.  Take your wife or girlfriend and get a word for word translation of the discussion.  

We recently had to go thru a clutch change twice -- the first time I was not clear on the rear main seal not being available from their supplier, and they had used "something else".  Also they had not resurfaced the flywheel, because most people don't mind tolerating the clutch chatter.  Could have been avoided if I had asked more specific questions the first time.  So we had to ride Jeepny's for a week while the thing was torn apart at the shop waiting for the Toyota rear main seal to arrive.  Lesson learned. 

Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted

And yes I had to pay for it twice because it was after their 90 day policy. 

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)

I agree with buying new if possible but there are lightly used cars a few years old available, often due to loans being unpaid.  I prefer Toyota because every mechanic has experience with them and parts are available easily both new and second hand but any popular high selling vehicle would be ok.  I would suggest avoiding rare models unless you like waiting for parts.

Edited by GeoffH

Cool ICE-Philippines
Posted
Posted

Thanks for all the info, I certianly will send my own tools,,, I've already have bought the electric, cordless,,, you guys are going to he missing out on the Christmas Sales at Lowes and Home Depot,,, the tool sets are always so.much lower for the yearly and annual sales,,, that's what I'm waiting on, Thanksgiving coming along, hoping for a great thanksgiving for you folks there,,,

• Like 1

graham59
Posted
Posted

Even buying (good) second-hand tools and auto spares, and shipping them via Balikbayan box is probably better than buying some of the junk for sale here. 

I also sent my 'workmate' folding work bench.  Sooo  useful.  You can order them online here from Lazada, but as I already had one...

download.jpg

Cool ICE-Philippines
Posted
Posted

Yes sir have already started the process for the box,,, and I do know the chinese market and the merchandise they sell,,,, ths is for the info,,,,will do,,,

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 9/24/2019 at 7:12 AM, Cool ICE-Philippines said:

and electrical tools as well

Just dont plug them into 230 volts