Davao River contaminated with polio virus

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

keeping the populace upset, nervous and anxious? Is that about right, Jack?

Well Tom, these Rivers have been Polluted for Years and only now do they test for something that has not been around for Years, Why? we should be asking :89:

• Like 2
  • Love it 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)

That is the biggest question, Jack... Glad you asked that!:89:

Edited by Tommy T.

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

This is especially scary considering that adults also need to have a polio booster... I learned about this several years ago at a tropical medicine clinic... That pink liquid booster we all drank as teenagers was supposed to be the "final" booster we would ever need. Not so, according to the clinic I was at: University of Washington Tropical Medicine Clinic...

Time to get your polio booster, guys and gals!

I already walk like I have polio..I don't think a booster would help. Or maybe have one less beer?:cheers:

• Haha 3

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)

Or a couple of shots of Tanduay so you won't notice or care?:cheersty:

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Haha 2

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

When I stayed on a remote atoll in the middle of the Pacific, I learned that there was TB and polio in the island population.

I further observed that, in lieu of "baby" food, many of the new mothers would take their regular food and chew it up small and feed that to their babies. Some of these mothers already had TB or other diseases and then passed them on to their kids, unknowingly. This was, unfortunately, an observed fact.

I was stationed on Enewetak Atoll for 2 yrs in the 80s for the big cleanup of the nuclear bomb testing site. We may have crossed paths? :wave:

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Arizona Kid said:

I was stationed on Enewetak Atoll for 2 yrs in the 80s for the big cleanup of the nuclear bomb testing site. We may have crossed paths? :wave:

So now you don't need to use a microwave - just hold things close to your chest to cook? And you don't need a flashlight at night to find your way?:smile:

Yeah... we did, but over a decade apart. We sailed to Majuro and stayed there in '98? Stayed a year then sailed on west to Kosrae and Pohnpei a year after that. Great SCUBA diving at all locations! We could have gone to Bikini to dive but it was a hassle of a sail to get there and return and expensive for the diving... Now it's closed again to diving, I believe...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted

Yes we are too far apart on the years. Do me a favor though..if you go sailing again watch and see how much plastic trash is floating in the oceans and give me your opinion. It;s disgusting!:shake_80_anim_gif:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, Arizona Kid said:

if you go sailing again watch and see how much plastic trash is floating in the oceans and give me your opinion. It;s disgusting

Nah... done with sailing - over 20 years was enough. And there were times when seeing the floating rubbish was ugly.

The worst, for us, was seeing all the plastic rubbish that washed up on otherwise pristine beaches on islands  and atolls that few people ever can even visit... Toothbrushes, flip flops, bottles...

Read online about the FACT that plastic that has reduced down to almost microscopic size has been imbibed by small fish, then larger fish and is now found in large fish. Think about this the next time you enjoy some lapu lapu (grouper), bariles (yellowfin tuna) or other fish? You are likely ingesting plastic... The impact of this is still unknown... there have been no studies about where this goes in the human body, if it is retained or what happens to it... Now...think of your kids (I have none) and their kids? If there are even fish left after our generation of over-fishing the oceans, what will the long-term effects of plastic be for them?

Sorry... I got off on a bit of a rant there...

But you should see the rubbish that comes out of the Davao River...and washes up on the shores... it looks almost as bad as the Pasig often...

I was anchored in a bay where there was a fish farm next to the yacht - we were there first and then the locals placed the farm there. It was milk fish - forget the local name here. The fish were packed in small cage-like underwater enclosures and fed some sort of pellets a couple times daily. They were right next to the yacht where we peed and pooed.... I won't eat that fish. Even if we weren't there, the living conditions were horrible for the fish - they were living in their own excrement - not even thinking about ours...

I refuse to eat any bottom fish or any locally caught fish here because of how nasty the water looks... I guess I will take my chances on swine-flu infected pork instead? or mad cow infected beef? Oy vay!!! Maybe I should become vegan and just eat insecticide loaded veggies? Or maybe I can subsist on Tanduay and beer? At least they are sterilized and nothing can grow in them?:89:

Hell... now that I look back at the title of this topic, I think polio is the least of the worries about what's living in this river!...

Okay... second mini-rant over...sorry...

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 1
  • Love it 1

bastonjock
Posted
Posted

I can still remember the iron and leather leg supports for kids that had caught polio , one of my cousins had caught polio and wore the support

My buddy visited the doc in pampanga to help clear up a rash on his legs , the doc told him to stay out of the water , the rain water brings up the contamination 

• Like 3

KC813
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

Well Tom, these Rivers have been Polluted for Years and only now do they test for something that has not been around for Years, Why? we should be asking :89:

I'm not sure I really want to know what all is floating and incubating in the local rivers.  Just more to worry about!

Philippines declared polio-free in 2000, but they've been watching closer since field tests were coming back positive since July. 

Polio outbreak – The Philippines: Disease outbreak news, 24 September 2019

from World Health Organization
Published on 24 Sep 2019 View Original

On 19 September 2019, the Philippines declared an outbreak of polio. Two cases have been reported to date, both caused by vaccine-derived poliovirus type 2 (VDPV2). Environmental samples taken from sewage in Manila on 13 August and a waterway in Davao on 22 August have also tested positive for VDPV2.

The first case was confirmed on 14 September following testing by the National Polio Laboratory at the Research Institute for Tropical Medicine, the Japan National Institute of Infectious Diseases (NIID) and the United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). The case-patient is a 3-year-old girl from Lanao del Sur in the southern Philippines. The virus isolated is genetically linked to VDPV2 previously isolated from environmental samples in Manila and Davao. This indicates that the virus is circulating.

The second case was confirmed on 19 September and is a 5-year-old boy from Laguna Province, approximately 100 km south-east of Metro Manila. Investigations and further characterization of the virus are ongoing.

In addition, VDPV1 has also been isolated from environmental samples collected on 1 July, 22 July, 13 August, and 27 August from Manila.

Vaccine-derived polioviruses are rarely occurring forms of the poliovirus that have genetically changed from the attenuated (weakened) virus contained in oral polio vaccine. They only occur when the vaccine virus is allowed to pass from person to person for a long time, which can only happen in places with limited immunization coverage and inadequate sanitation and hygiene. Over time, as it is passed between unimmunized people, it can regain the ability to cause disease. When the population is fully immunized with both oral polio vaccine and inactivated polio vaccine, this kind of transmission cannot take place. The gut immunity in people immunized with oral polio vaccine stops the virus from being passed on. Full immunization therefore protects against both vaccine-derived and wild polio viruses.

https://reliefweb.int/report/philippines/polio-outbreak-philippines-disease-outbreak-news-24-september-2019

• Like 3