Tools in the Philippines

intrepid
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Mike J said:

We needed to have two coconut palms cut down where we are having a new block wall built.  We also needed 2x2 coco for the workers to use as they build the wall.   So yesterday we had a small crew come out to cut down the palms and make them into lumber.  Watch this guy as he turns a coconut palm trunk into 2x2 dimensioned lumber.  I asked the guy when he was finished how long he had been doing this.  His reply was "eighteen years".  Notice that he does not measure when he cuts and that there are no cut lines or guides for him to follow.  After he left I got out my tape measure just to see how accurate he was.  The lumber is perfectly square, beautifully straight, and the width does not vary for the entire length of the lumber.  Most were exactly 2x2 and none was greater than 1/8 inch away from an exact 2 inch. The surface of the cuts are also amazingly smooth, almost like they had been put through a planer.  It was a treat to watch this man work and a rare display of talent.

What is the cost to have the tree cut into lumber?  Could use him back home to take down some trees.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, intrepid said:

What is the cost to have the tree cut into lumber?  Could use him back home to take down some trees.

Cost for the two palms was 2000 peso.  One required a man to climb and cut the top 15 feet or so prior to dropping the rest of the tree.  This was the one turned into lumber.  The second was a different type palm and not suitable for lumber.  After it was down he cut into short pieces that could be split into fire wood or hauled away.  I so had them cut down five smaller trees 2 to 4 inches in diameter.  This was an additional 500 peso.  

• Like 1
  • Love it 1

Jake
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

As Jake said, it's very hard to find a a metric ADJUSTABLE wrench!  :dance:  

I finally found it.  Its action for adjusting the width in millimeters is still smooth, like KY Jelly.  Additionally, I needed the hammer for "troubleshooting" various circuit boards.  I call it military vibration test -- if they fail the multiple impacts, then it is disposed over the side for a "float test"......he, he.  

crescent hammer.JPG

• Haha 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 9/26/2019 at 9:25 AM, OnMyWay said:

I think only people in the U.S. call it a Crescent wrench.  I think in Germany they called it a spanner.

In Australia it would be called a shifter. 

• Like 3