I may have been wrong for the first time in my life!

Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted

Someone must have flipped a switch.  Starting with the big market street cleanup in Manila, that made national news, I noticed this kind of thing going on in all of the places we go.  At our office, city officials came and painted a mark for parking, saying that the back end of the car cannot come past the mark or it will encroach on the sidewalk.  I was like...seriously?  I'm glad as hell for it, but what makes them start noticing it now?  I figure it must have been some directive from on high.  Maybe there a new transportation secretary in Manila or something.  Looks like the changes have even affected our local barangay.  

• Like 5

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Marvin Boggs said:

I figure it must have been some directive from on high.  Maybe there a new transportation secretary in Manila or something.  Looks like the changes have even affected our local barangay.  

This is a directive from DILG and apparently is to be taken quite seriously.  I hope it bites permanently.  Kudos to the head of DILG, former AFP Chief of Staff Eduardo Año.  He just came in last January and started a bunch of good things, including the Manila Bay cleanup.  I hope he can keep it up!  No nonsense military man!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eduardo_Año

Due to rain, my wife had not made her Saturday morning wet market run in a long time.  Yesterday I dropped her at a spot at city hall that usually has vegetable vendors covering a parking area and sidewalks.  All gone, with legally parked cars in the parking area.  Turned the corner and the normally crowded street was wide open.  No illegally parked cars, etc.

More here.  The clearing deadline was today.

https://news.abs-cbn.com/video/news/09/27/19/dilg-wont-extend-deadline-to-clean-up-cities

• Like 5

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

That all sounds very wonderful!

Sadly... it has not happened yet here in Davao City... Let's hope it does...

• Like 1

Clermont
Posted
Posted

Just a little bit more on this topic, the clamp down on the law as us westerner's see it, has been going on for a couple of years now. JGF posted a bit about shop fronts being removed around Manila awhile back, other posters overtime have been commenting on various road infringements being picked up by the PNP, some saying it's a good thing, some clamoring it's a waste of time. I for one have noticed the crack down on illegal parking, shop front encroachment, even, believe it or not, trikes driving up the wrong side of the road, I think the crack down is here to stay. At the moment I'm in and out of the country a couple times a year and I can see the difference each time I visit and I enjoy the changes. As the wife's young nephews and nieces tell this old uncle, go with the flow uncle, hahaha.  :thumbsup:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
On 9/30/2019 at 6:50 AM, Tommy T. said:

That all sounds very wonderful!

Sadly... it has not happened yet here in Davao City... Let's hope it does...

Might be the trickle down effect. I'm sure it will get to his hometown.:biggrin:

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
bamfurlong
Posted
Posted

loads of good videos on youtube showing them doing all this,,,gadget addict is a good vlogger

• Like 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, bamfurlong said:

loads of good videos on youtube showing them doing all this,,,gadget addict is a good vlogger

I'd like to see some of them. What's the best thing to type into the search?