Leaking flat roof

jimeve
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Mike J said:

Have a look at this product.  Boysen products are widely available, expensive but you normally get what you pay for with paint.  

http://www.eboysen.com/products.do?item_id=921

Had my 3 story firewall 50 ft tallest part done with this, covered all the cracks.  

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, sonjack2847 said:

You must be there when any repairs are carried out or they bodge it and get on the red horse. You can tell them until you are blue in the face and as soon as your back is turned they go back to chit work and that is ok attitude. Any fix you do here is only as good as the person doing it same as anywhere.

Our experience is different than yours.  In many cases we go with the suggestions of how the worker suggests work be done.  Where we wanted work done differently, or a different product used, the worker did so willingly and without complaint.  We did have one tile man who did bad work on a contracted CR remodel.  The contractor brought in a new man who took out the wall tile and laid new tile all at the expense of the contractor.  Perhaps I have been fortunate, but for the most part I have had good results from the labor we have hired ourselves.  

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)

In the main the reason for many Water Problems is the word FLAT, yes Flat is what it is but it seems that many that build do not have a gradient Flat roof, maybe 2 inch to zero is Good to run off Water But No Flat is Flat, with a Gradient and making sure there are no Bellies up there Things,  would so Different. I have a Llanni (open Area Terrace) which is two way Graded as I say 2 inch to Zero and that is working Fine.

Just a thought for those now building and of course it is not too late to Put a Screed gradient on the existing Roof or any area exposed to Water then Treat it as needed. It will still be a Flat area but with a Gradient ( Unnoticeable) for Water to run off :wink:

Such is my input to date. :whistling:

Edited by Jack Peterson
splelling
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
13 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

In the main the reason for many Water Problems is the word FLAT, yes Flat is what it is

People will have different experiences and I see it in a different light.  In my experience, the flat roof is a problem, yes, but it is the surroundings that causes the REAL problem.  Take a look at the kind of flat roof I have had experience with, here and in Liloan, Cebu.  The workers are applying a kind of water proofing as our resident gurus suggest.  Now imagine a huge monsoon rain with the drains stopped up with debris. Swimming pool effect!  Nothing helps that.  Its gonna leak unless the roof has actually been designed as a swimming pool.

flat.jpg 

(Note that I do not think this was my roof in Liloan, Cebu but it is so similar that it could be.  I got the picture off the net)

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

People will have different experiences and I see it in a different light.  In my experience, the flat roof is a problem, yes, but it is the surroundings that causes the REAL problem.  Take a look at the kind of flat roof I have had experience with, here and in Liloan, Cebu.  The workers are applying a kind of water proofing as our resident gurus suggest.  Now imagine a huge monsoon rain with the drains stopped up with debris. Swimming pool effect!  Nothing helps that.  Its gonna leak unless the roof has actually been designed as a swimming pool.

flat.jpg 

(Note that I do not think this was my roof in Liloan, Cebu but it is so similar that it could be.  I got the picture off the net)

I have seen that picture before on another expat type site.  If memory serves me correctly, the owner says that the secret to a flat roof is a continuous pour, proper drainage, and he does the treatment shown, power wash plus new coating, on an annual basis.

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Mike J said:

If memory serves me correctly, the owner says that the secret to a flat roof is a continuous pour, proper drainage,

That is what I was getting at :whistling:

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
52 minutes ago, Mike J said:

the secret

Hmmm.  Or it could be the secret is don't rent off him as the dang roof leaks in the corners and comes down inside the walls and he won't admit it. :hystery:

But so much for my experience.  I am sure there are hundreds of similar roofs that do not leak.  I just have not found them.  By the way, for any of the other people answering the post, do any of you live in or own a flat roof house that does not leak? What about a half n half?  I have one with most of the roof sloped and the back part flat.  Could not get the dang thing to stop leaking.  The stop leak stuff works for a while and then wears off, at least for me.  I put a second roof over the flat roof and problem solved.

It seems to me that when Filipinos have a flat roof there is always someone walking on it.  Its the Philippes.  What is the use of a flat roof if you can't walk on it :whistling:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, jimeve said:

Had my 3 story firewall 50 ft tallest part done with this, covered all the cracks.  

Same here - we have two firewalls (back and side) and both were coated with this product then repainted.  The main firewall has never leaked (it was coated 2 or 3 times though) but the smaller rear firewall required a few additional attempts to resolve seepage but thus far this rainy season it's been OK.

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

By the way, for any of the other people answering the post, do any of you live in or own a flat roof house that does not leak? 

We have a terrace which provides the roof over our carport/garden sitting area.  We have tiled it but there is one area where it leaks right at the perimeter corner - maybe from the drain pipe or more likely the grout.  I think the only permanent and perfect solution that doesn't require ongoing maintenance is, as you have done, a secondary roof.  We plan to get this done in the early part of next year - we made the mistake of only covering half of the area with a secondary roof previously.   

• Like 2

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Well lots of advice here and I thank you all for your inputs , but it was just a phone call from Emma to her dad and myself asking is all ok with the roof as it’s been a 2 years since it’s been built and that’s when we was told there is a wet stain on one of the walls, other then that I have no idea until I can see it for myself, straight away Emma was saying because the roof has not been tiled and so on.

Soon we shall be there it could be bad it could be nothing , but it shall get sorted i am sure in the 3 months that we are there.

• Like 2